GDT: New York Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes, Saturday, April 6th 7 PM EST

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I'm calling my ticket rep on Monday once I have some time off, as well as whoever else in the Canes FO I need to talk to. Their ticket price hike for next season, after this dismal finish is outright misguided at best. Frankly they need to freeze the prices for ANYONE willing to come back after this ****show of a season's end. Karmanos has a decision to make, either he can eat the money as we continue to suck while mitigating the damages by price freezing, or he can alienate the fanbase even farther then it already has been by.... this ****.

This is a far more reasonable post.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
How are we still ahead of Tampa in the standings when we have the same number of games played and exact record? We haven't beat them at all this year

Shootout wins. Our record is the same but because one of their wins came in the shootout while none of ours have we're ahead in the standings. Just gotta make sure to lose what games we have left against them to make sure that isn't a factor.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
i feel like something big is gonna happen soon. someone's gonna get fired or something. this is a huge losing streak. i feel like they gotta do something to shake things up and make a display to the fan base

I'm not sure realistically what they can do, but I agree they are going to have to do some type of shakeup. JR talked about tickets going up next season. They have to know that ending the year like this is going to be a nightmare trying to sell the game for next season... unless they do something to be able to try and give a reason for hope. A good draft pick will help, but I doubt that will be enough to convince fans to put their hard earned money out in hopes of seeing this crap again.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Maybe they need a bigger reminder that what they're doing isn't working. Because this team continues to lose and miss the playoffs and I see them making the same poor decisions year after year.

Are you suggesting that a person whose entire profession revolves around the management of a hockey team is so incompetent that he can not discern a 1-11-1 team in the last month is bad?

Talk is cheap. If you were JR, what would you have done differently?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Not entirely sure on that one. When he first hit the wire, before the Pitkanen injury, the reaction according to some guys in the know was surprise and interest.

Not saying you're off base since you have better connections then I do, but I also trust people like Dregger on their take as well.

Just with one team, but the word "awful" was used and surely other scouting reports wouldn't be all that different. I mean, YOU watch him. Don't you think he's a 3rd pairing guy who can only handle 12 minutes of sheltered ice time per night? At the most? Ergo, what can that possibly bring that would help us?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is a far more reasonable post.

Really I encourage ALL STHs on here and everywhere else in Canes land to do this. If enough of us call in and complain about the ticket price hike for next year, say that they can't take the fans for granted and that if these new investors and the new TV contract are worth anything that it gives us the opportunity to acknowledge that this team of the season is unacceptable, and to treat those willing to give the team another chance the respect they deserve by not raising the prices after what was an inferior product to end the season.

Being diplomatic and reasonable about this is the only way they'll react well.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Are you suggesting that a person whose entire profession revolves around the management of a hockey team is so incompetent that he can not discern a 1-11-1 team in the last month is bad?

Talk is cheap. If you were JR, what would you have done differently?

Possibly have more than one defenseman who is any good.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
From the Rangers board (I asked what people thought about the game and the 'Canes in general). This quote really stuck out:

The canes are one of those teams that you can take it to them so long as you play hard enough. Not enough defensive balance. One reason why Canes have been losing consistently. Teams are hungry and they're able to play their game against you guys. There's a definite lack of stymieing of the opposititon offense.

Overall, it's what a lot here have noticed. Our defense sucks and we lack toughness up front. Both Tampa and Ranger fans commented on how fast and skilled our offense was though (though we did put up 40+ shots in each game).

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

Guys, don't listen to him. It is a secret plot to get the Hurricanes moved to Medicine Hat.

:) Just what we need. Three bottom teams in Alberta. And, the only time I go to the Hat is during antelope season. :) Seriously, I would live in a place like Carolina rather than Alberta if I could do it all over again and was much younger.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just with one team, but the word "awful" was used and surely other scouting reports wouldn't be all that different. I mean, YOU watch him. Don't you think he's a 3rd pairing guy who can only handle 12 minutes of sheltered ice time per night? At the most? Ergo, what can that possibly bring that would help us?

Honestly, no I don't. I don't know what it is but when the guy's been paired with Pitkanen he's been a much better player. I don't know if that's just because they understand how to play off eachother better, or if it's because he's a complimentary defenseman not capable of carrying a top 4 pairing on his own, and when asked to do so while playing with Sanguinetti or MAB, he comes up short. He most definitely is a guy that has a work ethic issue though, that really needs to commit himself to strengthening and conditioning in the offseasons so he CAN become that top 4 guy going forward.

I don't think he's what he would have been worth before this season, but I do think he's worth a guy that would be able to solidify our 3rd line.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Possibly have more than one defenseman who is any good.

And outside of Ryan Suter (whom we extended an offer to), there was no one in FA to help that. Saying "We need to fix the defense" is easy. Something anyone on an internet message board is capable of doing.

Actually doing it? Not many can.

This is an offseason where many cap strapped teams will have to shed salary. This is the siren song of McBain- we could swap him out for someone who is better because of his salary. We could trade picks and futures for a really good player a la Blackhawks to Atlanta.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
And outside of Ryan Suter (whom we extended an offer to), there was no one in FA to help that.

all at or around the same price as Corvo:
Adrian Aucoin
Michal Roszival

much much cheaper:
Steve Eminger

all would have helped this team defensively, even Eminger.

JR doesn't know how to build a defense. A drunken chimp could have told us that those 3 were better investments then Corvo and a better fit for what we needed. Not that Corvo should be the goat on this one, not at all, it's ALL on JR.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Adrian Aucoin
Michal Roszival

much much cheaper:
Steve Eminger

They're also about as effective as Joe Corvo.

Don't really feel like arguing, so I'll make my point and move on. If JR fails to improve the defense this offseason, which will be the closest we get to a buyers market in years, then yea, I'll jump on the "JR has no idea what he's doing" bandwagon. But as I've said before, this team (IMO) is better than the 1-11-1 recent record indicates. So while JR needs to make some moves, I hope he doesn't panic and do something stupid (like Skinner for Adam McQuaid).

EDIT: And I don't think the difference between a good defense and a bad defense are any of the players you mentioned.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Something tells me our scorekeeper is inflating stats. There's no way the Canes put up 90+ shots over the past two games. Like, zero chance.

I will say this is one of their better games lately. No finish, but plenty of chances.

And I'm still not sure why so many are so against having LaRose on the team next year. This game showed exactly what he can bring to the ice: strong forechecking, some physicality, and relentless pursuit of the puck. Now, he'll need to take a discount (though Boyle for the Rangers is paid the same and plays their 4th line)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Adrian Aucoin
Michal Roszival

much much cheaper:
Steve Eminger

JR doesn't know how to build a defense. A drunken chimp could have told us that those 3 were better investments then Corvo and a better fit for what we needed. Not that Corvo should be the goat on this one, not at all, it's ALL on JR.

Like Highway, I'm not going to argue extensively here, but as a Pens fan as well, I remember the Roszival year. He was, indeed, similarly awful. If I'm a GM and my choices are Roszival and Corvo, I at least go with the lesser of the two evils in a player whose personality and mental makeup is at least a known quantity to me.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Well this season is obviously a write-off at this point. If you want Jones/MacKinnon you should NOT continue to play like this! So my comment was probably slightly misplaced...

I just haven't seen the Rangers this outplayed in a long time, and the Rangers have been carrying the play at ES all year. Not that it helps much during a slump like this, but your core is obviously capable of playing REALLY good hockey.

Maybe fate is finally cooperating and no matter how they perform, the L's continue to pile up. A very high draft pick will change this team. When Skinner broke out his first season it changed the outlook for this team, not just upgrading the volume of talent, but giving the fans something to get excited about again.

Skinner has been a disappointment to some degree but his first 14 games this season were electric and when he's playing like that it elevates this team just like Sweet Tea does. Bringing in real talent without having to sell the farm, a player that will make a difference next season would be best for everyone.

Rooting for JR to be gone or 4 or 5 players to be traded is pointless. I'll take a high draft pick and all the hype that goes with it over the lateral moves JR is likely to make in the off season.

Last edited:

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
And I'm still not sure why so many are so against having LaRose on the team next year. This game showed exactly what he can bring to the ice: strong forechecking, some physicality, and relentless pursuit of the puck. Now, he'll need to take a discount (though Boyle for the Rangers is paid the same and plays their 4th line)

You could probably fill a chapter in a psychology textbook as to why for all these years ( not only for next year) beginning with him making an NHL roster as an undrafted player who takes a spot away from supposedly more "worthy" draftee faves for some who live and die by an initial branding they can hang onto. From there it goes to focusing on every misstep he makes and pretending they are unique only to him (whiffing, the "late penalty" stamp), casting any accomplishment as "illegit" or as the beneficiary of being "just as a passenger" in an undeserved spot, downplaying any favorable attributes as something unimportant or to be mocked even if it's as obvious and fundamental as the ability and willingness to skate for 3 periods (because it looks funny, work ethic be dammed), and of course the ultimate torpedo-job...associating him with the vague and much-derided FB crowd. There's a whole mountain of pseudo-sophistication and unequal treatment at work that would make a really great study for someone.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You could probably fill a chapter in a psychology textbook as to why for all these years ( not only for next year) beginning with him making an NHL roster as an undrafted player who takes a spot away from supposedly more "worthy" draftee faves for some who live or die by an initial brand they can hang onto. From there it goes to focusing on every misstep he makes and pretending they are unique only to him (whiffing, the "late penalty" stamp), casting any accomplishment as "illegit" or as the beneficiary of being "just as a passenger" in an undeserved spot, downplaying any favorable attributes as something unimportant or to be mocked even if it's as obvious and fundamental as the ability and willingness to skate for 3 periods (because it looks funny, work ethic be dammed), and of course the ultimate torpedo-job...associating him with the vague and much-derided FB crowd. There's a whole mountain of pseudo-sophistication and unequal treatment at work that would make a really great study for someone.

NorthStar, I think you and I need to go into business as the resident board shrinks. :laugh:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
And outside of Ryan Suter (whom we extended an offer to), there was no one in FA to help that. Saying "We need to fix the defense" is easy. Something anyone on an internet message board is capable of doing.

Actually doing it? Not many can.

This is an offseason where many cap strapped teams will have to shed salary. This is the siren song of McBain- we could swap him out for someone who is better because of his salary. We could trade picks and futures for a really good player a la Blackhawks to Atlanta.

I think it's the GMs fault the defense is in the state it is. Just because there wasn't a good UFa to pickup this year doesn't make this group that's been built over time any less of a failure. The defense, that was terrible last year, got worse, on paper and in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad