GDT: New York Rangers @ Carolina Hurricanes, Saturday, April 6th 7 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I just watched a game that was a 2 goal game and the first PP unit had Pat Dwyer and Tim Brent on it. I want to give Muller the benefit of the doubt for a lot of things but this is a complete joke. If you think this is a good idea you don't belong coaching in the NHL, IMO.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I think it's the GMs fault the defense is in the state it is. Just because there wasn't a good UFa to pickup this year doesn't make this group that's been built over time any less of a failure. The defense, that was terrible last year, got worse, on paper and in practice.

Fair enough.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I just watched a game that was a 2 goal game and the first PP unit had Pat Dwyer and Tim Brent on it. I want to give Muller the benefit of the doubt for a lot of things but this is a complete joke. If you think this is a good idea you don't belong coaching in the NHL, IMO.

3qok28.jpg

kohlerk08

Jun 19, 2011
While I don't think Muller is terrible, and he hasn't had a full season or training camp yet, if I was Rutherford I would find a way to contact Lindy Ruff to see if he was interested in the job. If he was I'd fire Muller in a second.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Skinner has looked really dangerous the past couple games. Of course, that coincides with the top line looking like ****, because the Canes can't have a top 6.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
While there are a multitude of issues that can be discussed about this organization, the bottom line for this season is that this team had enough talent to win this division and make the playoffs. I know most don't agree, but Muller and his supporting cast were quickly figured out and he just could not find a way to counter. They may not have gone very far but they should have made the playoffs regardless of the adversity that most teams face IMO. It's unfortunate for the players and for the loyal fans that support them.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Skinner passed the puck more times to Dalpe in the ten minutes that I watched (thrice, to be exact) then he has Jordan for the last 20 games.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
While there are a multitude of issues that can be discussed about this organization, the bottom line for this season is that this team had enough talent to win this division and make the playoffs. I know most don't agree, but Muller and his supporting cast were quickly figured out and he just could not find a way to counter. They may not have gone very far but they should have made the playoffs regardless of the adversity that most teams face IMO.

You know, 10 games ago, I would have agreed with you. But now, I don't.

Muller didn't get figured out. Teams realized that if you pressure our "offensive" defensemen while in breakout and transition, they'll either dump it in, attempt a pass that more often than not fails to connect cleanly or turn it over. This was switched from teams trying to stand us up at the blueline.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
While there are a multitude of issues that can be discussed about this organization, the bottom line for this season is that this team had enough talent to win this division and make the playoffs. I know most don't agree, but Muller and his supporting cast were quickly figured out and he just could not find a way to counter. They may not have gone very far but they should have made the playoffs regardless of the adversity that most teams face IMO.

The problem is you saddle the blame on Muller and the staff, when everything that we know about practices, locker room comments, etc. is that Muller and his staff are identifying the problems and telling the players what they need to do to fix it.

Which, apparently, the players promptly ignore. Or they do it for a little bit, then wet their pants as soon as they face adversity. And while that could be partly on the coaching staff, it's now 3 coaches that are apparently being flat out ignored by the players. At some point, the finger has to be pointed the other direction.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Turnovers have been a huge Achilles heal for this team for a while now but not just from the defense. Eric Staal and Semin, among other forwards, have had plenty of turnovers at key moments in key games that led to goals, and or momentum killing scoring chances. Desperation breeds mistakes.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
The problem is you saddle the blame on Muller and the staff, when everything that we know about practices, locker room comments, etc. is that Muller and his staff are identifying the problems and telling the players what they need to do to fix it.

Which, apparently, the players promptly ignore. Or they do it for a little bit, then wet their pants as soon as they face adversity. And while that could be partly on the coaching staff, it's now 3 coaches that are apparently being flat out ignored by the players. At some point, the finger has to be pointed the other direction.

The group of players have changed constantly over the course of those coaching tenures.

Did the roughly 40-50 players over that time choose to ignore the coaches? Not likely at all.

Were all three coaches incompetent? No way.

To me, the problems arise from the gm and scouting. Good teams build from the draft. We have had far too few successful players drafted. It's hard to build a team through trades and waiver wire pick ups.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The group of players have changed constantly over the course of those coaching tenures.

Did the roughly 40-50 players over that time choose to ignore the coaches? Not likely at all.

Were all three coaches incompetent? No way.

To me, the problems arise from the gm and scouting. Good teams build from the draft. We have had far too few successful players drafted. It's hard to build a team through trades and waiver wire pick ups.

It's not so much that all the players choose to ignore the coach. It's that certain players choose to ignore the coach, and the rest of the team follows. It's no secret that Brindamour and Lavi didn't get along, and that's likely part of the reason he was let go after a start that was far from terrible. It's also likely why they brought in Maurice, who had worked with Brindamour before (and had a reputation of favoring veteran players). As for Maurice's firing, you can't tell me there wasn't a concentrated effort by Staal to see Mauruce removed. What was it? 4 points in the X games under Maurice, then suddenly under Muller, he's over a PPG?

All coaches do eventually lose the lockerroom. But for it to be happening so quickly, from one coach to the next? That, to me, points toward he players, not the coaches.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

Look I agree with what you are basically saying. This team/organization has a ton of problems, yes. From the owner to the ice guys and the zamboni repair man. However, in the HERE AND NOW given all the adversity that was unforeseen to everyone, that happens to every team, this team collapsed midway through from being super to apparently saying to hell with it.
I can see it in their faces and body language. After giving this some thought, you are right. The players gave up. When things went to crap, they tried but didn't believe in Muller's systems. I really think they became confused and they were trying to play a game that felt unnatural. You could see it clearly. Now who is to blame?
Eric Staal, the Captain? The top line? Fate? I don't know. Everyone has an opinion for this season. Something happened to the top line. The PP was indicative of this. They couldn't or wouldn't do what Muller was telling them to do. Eric Staal and Alex Semin were being shut down. I think they know what to do and it wasn't what the coach was preaching.
There is lots of blame to go around for sure. But IMO when the collapse began, Muller could not deal with it. I don't know if this makes sense but surely you can get something from it.
Like I've said several times. To me this team is dysfunctional. In the here and now, the only guy with any power to affect change is Muller and he has failed. That's my opinion in the short hand of a post.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Skinner passed the puck more times to Dalpe in the ten minutes that I watched (thrice, to be exact) then he has Jordan for the last 20 games.

This. x10

I don't know how many times it has to be said, but Skinner and Jordan have ZERO chemistry. They had a coinciding "hot streak" at the start of the season, but it never manifested into any kind of real chemistry. If the top line wasn't so cohesive, I would say reshuffle the deck. But it makes zero sense for either player to play below the 2nd line in our pay scale. It's a tough spot.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I honestly believe that we need some new ideas in the front office.

Rutherford should given all the credit in the world for the pieces that he brought in here (Staals, Wardo, Gleason, Skinner), but it's just not working anymore.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The fragility of this team is unbelievable, but unfortunately too predictable as of late. I was sitting next to some Ranger fans down from NY. They didn't know that much about the Canes, but after the first they asked how the Canes can be losing so much, as they look pretty good, especially considering no Faulk, Ward, Pitkanen and Semin. I responded that when something goes bad, it goes downhill quickly and they fold. As soon as Tlusty took that penalty, I leaned over and said, "here it comes, just watch". Sure enough, roughly 2 minutes later it's 2-0. To their credit, they at least played hard in the 3rd, but IMO, part of that had to do with the Rangers coasting some after building a 3-0 lead in the 2nd game of back to backs.

The defense is just brutal as has been well documented by many for years. I'm tired of stick-waiving soft "offensive" guys who aren't even any good offensively. I ran into the goalie from my old beer league team after the 2nd and his comments: "Even you guys played better defense than that". Unfortunately, this means either JR way over-pays for Marc Staal or there won't be much change for next year. And Sather rarely loses trades, so if JR does make a trade for Marc Staal at some point in the future, we can pretty much guarantee the Canes will get screwed.

Lastly, I can't remember who posted it a couple of days ago (Tarheel, Garnett, or NS4C), but the comment about teams liking to play against Carolina due to how soft they are is so spot on. It's like a free skate out there. We like to ***** about Skinner needing to "grow up", but on occasion, it would be nice if someone (other than LaRose or Dwyer) would step in when the Rangers are giving him extra shots on a regular basis.

caniac315

Nov 21, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Frankly, I'm tired of having to wait through another off-season rebuilding phase, only to sit through yet another **** season. If they even try to raise season ticket prices, the **** needs to hit the fan. If this is the best product they can put on the ice, then pack up and move. I don't even care at this point. I think they are lucky the fans have been so loyal for so long and showed up to these fiasco's of teams they continue to put on the ice season after season.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
It's not so much that all the players choose to ignore the coach. It's that certain players choose to ignore the coach, and the rest of the team follows. It's no secret that Brindamour and Lavi didn't get along, and that's likely part of the reason he was let go after a start that was far from terrible. It's also likely why they brought in Maurice, who had worked with Brindamour before (and had a reputation of favoring veteran players). As for Maurice's firing, you can't tell me there wasn't a concentrated effort by Staal to see Mauruce removed. What was it? 4 points in the X games under Maurice, then suddenly under Muller, he's over a PPG?

All coaches do eventually lose the lockerroom. But for it to be happening so quickly, from one coach to the next? That, to me, points toward he players, not the coaches.

I think we are close to saying the same thing. It's a complex dynamic within this team (some other teams as well). normalpsychology wrote a good post on the "culture of losing." I agree with much of what you are getting at. Like it or not, this became Eric Staal's team long ago. Everything surrounding this team permeates with Staal.

There is usually/often an underlying aspect of an adversarial relationship between coaches and players. Muller came in announcing that loud and clear. This time Staal's production was a result of the introduction of Alex Semin, an elite player that Eric Staal has wanted and needed. It had nothing to do with Muller IMO. That's another interesting dynamic itself.

This is a long and interesting topic but to me and seemingly a growing number around the web, Muller can't bond with this team if he doesn't understand very clearly that it's Staal's team, right or wrong. I don't believe that's healthy at all but there it is.

A very good comparison is Oates and Ovechkin and the Capitals. Studying that relationship closely, there is no wonder to me that Ovi's game has returned and the Capitals are where they are. That team is not better than the Hurricanes. They are better coached. Adam Oates understood these things going in. Muller unfortunately did not. Whoever takes the helm of this team as GM or coach in the future, it would do them well to look at what Adam Oates has done in Washington.

There are many problems here, but as long as this organization adopts the philosophy that 'Eric Staal is our guy' as their marketing tool, many of these issues will continue. Any coach has to go with that or fight an up hill battle to engage the players and have them play for him. It is there plain as day. I don't think it's right in this case but in my way of looking at this, if you don't win over Eric, you don't coach this team. That said, if there is blame to be cast, it could be cast in many directions.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Eric Staal is not producing because of Alex Semin. He has produced with anyone and everyone on his line for years. Your boy is not the reason.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
The fragility of this team is unbelievable, but unfortunately too predictable as of late. I was sitting next to some Ranger fans down from NY. They didn't know that much about the Canes, but after the first they asked how the Canes can be losing so much, as they look pretty good, especially considering no Faulk, Ward, Pitkanen and Semin. I responded that when something goes bad, it goes downhill quickly and they fold. As soon as Tlusty took that penalty, I leaned over and said, "here it comes, just watch". Sure enough, roughly 2 minutes later it's 2-0. To their credit, they at least played hard in the 3rd, but IMO, part of that had to do with the Rangers coasting some after building a 3-0 lead in the 2nd game of back to backs.

The defense is just brutal as has been well documented by many for years. I'm tired of stick-waiving soft "offensive" guys who aren't even any good offensively. I ran into the goalie from my old beer league team after the 2nd and his comments: "Even you guys played better defense than that". Unfortunately, this means either JR way over-pays for Marc Staal or there won't be much change for next year. And Sather rarely loses trades, so if JR does make a trade for Marc Staal at some point in the future, we can pretty much guarantee the Canes will get screwed.

Lastly, I can't remember who posted it a couple of days ago (Tarheel, Garnett, or NS4C), but the comment about teams liking to play against Carolina due to how soft they are is so spot on. It's like a free skate out there. We like to ***** about Skinner needing to "grow up", but on occasion, it would be nice if someone (other than LaRose or Dwyer) would step in when the Rangers are giving him extra shots on a regular basis.

As talent to help this team's terrible defense, the addition of Marc Staal would help with that. The "Staal Dynasty" would be complete. I am not trying to be cocky but fans have to understand this for what it is. If that's the road they want to go down, don't expect a whole lot of change.
Yes, the Ranger board guys were gloating and saying things like this is an easy two points, etc.. This team has become a laughing stock. If words like "fragile" or "soft" ease the realities, fine. Watching this team play is frustrating indeed. They do play like a beer league team. A total rebuild from top to bottom may be required and that may take a while. Too bad really but some good core pieces are there to start to build with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad