GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Rangers beats who are "surprised" or "shocked" Day got cut are showing their lack of prospect knowledge. He was never supposed to make the team.

He's a 20 year old long term project in his first year of pro hockey. He'll go to the Pack this season and learn. If he gets cut early next year, okay I can see the potential concern, but even then it's unwarranted.

Not really. Crawley was with the team deep into the preseason last year, and he played in the AHL last year. He's a year ahead in his development

Day was rumored before camp last year as being a potential candidate to make the NHL that fall.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
What nonsense post is this? Keane almost concussed our top center last night. Maybe not so smart, but at least he played a physical game, just like the coach ordered.

They were doing a drill where they were supposed to play physical, sure. That doesn't mean that Keane is a physical player. Keane is a skilled two way defenceman we like just drafted, not some goon.

Also, first Zib is soft, and now Keane is a demon? Pick a side.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
There is a lot more time and space in preseason games (especially early ones) than there is in regular season games when things get serious. It's good that Andersson had a good game but he's going to have to keep matching the intensity of the game as it ratchets up.

I think he has a good chance to make the team, and he'll have a solid season if he does, but there are going to be ups and downs as always

Watched him playing in 2+7 matches with the Swedish national team this year, and liked him a lot. It was him who scored the first goal for Team Sweden at the WHC in Copenhagen. He's audacious, gritty, plays very well along the boards, takes no prisoners in front of the net - exactly the guy you want to have on your PK unit.

Reactions: haveandare

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Day was rumored before camp last year as being a potential candidate to make the NHL that fall.
Yeah, from people who don't have a clue about prospects

Anyone who closely follows our prospects would tell you that was never the case. He can skate at an NHL level right now, that's about it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just having elite skating doesn't get you to the NHL when everything else you bring is so below par. He has almost zero hockey IQ from the times i've seen him play.

I gotta be honest with you, my concern right now is how he thinks through the game.

In so many ways he feels like he's on the opposite end of the spectrum from a guy like Andersson.

Obviously different players and different positions, but just feel like they're approaching from two different directions.

Andersson isn't a guy whose skills immediately jump out at you. He isn't a physical speciman, he isn't flashy, he's not really who blows you away with any one particular skill. But he's smart, and he knows where to be, and he makes sure he gets there and almost instinctively knows what to do. There's a certain efficiency to his movements and thought process.

Day is a guy who catches your eye on the ice. He's big, moves fluidly (moreso than straight speed), can cover a lot of ground and generates attention. But there's often a sense that he's moments from disaster, a hesitation, a slight delay as the play unfolds, or that he doesn't quite fully grasp what's happening in front of him. You tend to see if against better individual competition, or better than average teams. It's like watching a fielder who doesn't get a good read as the ball leaves the bat, but is athletic enough to get to the plays.

Because of that, you wonder how it will translate against better competition where the game is so much faster. I don't think the reads and awareness will ever be a strength, but can he keep progressing to the point where he's good enough (with his athletic ability) to make it work?

But that answer isn't going to come sooner, if it comes at all. It's going to take time and patience, and maybe even a second contract.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Kailer Yamamoto is getting a nice look with Edmonton, no reason why Ronning shouldn't have with us.
Yes there is, Yamamoto made the Oilers team last year. It’s nice that Ronning had 60 goals last year, but he’s not some sort of super prospect, his ceiling stills seems to be a bottom 6 energy guy.

I’m honestly more surprised that people are surprised by him being in the first round of cuts in his first professional season

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
A little disappointing that Ronning wasn't able to push, but with so much competition in camp this year there was pretty much a guarantee that somebody we had hopes for would be going home early.

And realistically, do we actually believe that in his first pro season he was going to beat out ten other guys for one of a couple spots on the roster? He will be much better served by getting top6 minutes in the AHL and learning the pro game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They were doing a drill where they were supposed to play physical, sure. That doesn't mean that Keane is a physical player. Keane is a skilled two way defenceman we like just drafted, not some goon.

Also, first Zib is soft, and now Keane is a demon? Pick a side.

giphy.gif

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Yes there is, Yamamoto made the Oilers team last year. It’s nice that Ronning had 60 goals last year, but he’s not some sort of super prospect, his ceiling stills seems to be a bottom 6 energy guy.

I’m honestly more surprised that people are surprised by him being in the first round of cuts in his first professional season

Both tore up the WHL, just because the Oilers had room to fit him in last year and the Rangers didn't with Ronning doesn't mean he's any less of a prospect.

But I am realistic, he's still very young and can hopefully only get better. We'll see how his production is in the AHL this season and perhaps he can get a call up at some point if he proves people wrong.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
That lineup should be fun. Just spitballing:

Vesey-Zib-Spooner
Names-Chytil-Buch
Fontaine-Howden-Lettieri
Gropp-Holland-Beleskey

Skjei-Ada
Smith-Keane
Hajek-Gilmour

Reactions: Blue Blooded

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Always kind of amusing to see the griping about different prospects getting cut. Day and Running are projects with virtually no pro experience. They were never going to make the team out of camp.

And if they were kept, people would complain about too many players being still in camp...

Reactions: Trxjw

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Both tore up the WHL, just because the Oilers had room to fit him in last year and the Rangers didn't with Ronning doesn't mean he's any less of a prospect.

But I am realistic, he's still very young and can hopefully only get better. We'll see how his production is in the AHL this season and perhaps he can get a call up at some point if he proves people wrong.
This is a pretty poor comparison of prospects since they’re not equivalent at all. Yamamoto has been a better scorer through his D-1, D, and D+1 years relative to Ronning by a very wide margin. Yamamoto’s WHL performance last year (D+1) was better than Ronning’s (D+2)

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

That lineup should be fun. Just spitballing:

Vesey-Zib-Spooner
Names-Chytil-Buch
Fontaine-Howden-Lettieri
Gropp-Holland-Beleskey

Skjei-Ada
Smith-Keane
Hajek-Gilmour

Much more fun.

I understand why they need to give the AHL vets and extreme longshot guys a game or two, but it's much more interesting to me when everyone on the ice either has a legit shot of making the team or is still young enough to be considered a prospect.

Reactions: Ori

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Ronning should have been one of the best players at TC and he sucked. He probdid nothing in the scrimmages. That’s why he’s gone not his size. You get a chance to prove yourself you better do it. See Andersson last night.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Always kind of amusing to see the griping about different prospects getting cut. Day and Running are projects with virtually no pro experience. They were never going to make the team out of camp.

Some of these guys are the longer-term prospects we've talked about. Day and Ronning were always wildcards, it would've been surprising if they weren't early cuts IMO.

We can't look at this through the lens of past years. There are a lot of young talents into camp right now and the guys who are closer and further along are going to need time to get extended looks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know he hasn't done anything to really deserve it, but it'd be nice to see Gropp get a few shifts with a center who has some vision.

Gropp has the potential to surprise some people this season.

I'm not going to sugarcoat his flaws and the disappointing start to last season, but I also saw a kid who started to find his game after December and scored at close to a 20 goal pace before going down to injury.

I wouldn't write him off just yet, though he still has a long road ahead of him.

Reactions: Trxjw

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Ronning should have been one of the best players at TC and he sucked. He probdid nothing in the scrimmages. That’s why he’s gone not his size. You get a chance to prove yourself you better do it. See Andersson last night.

I wouldn't say he sucked. And he was the captain of that Traverse team, a lot of trainers in the organization appreciate his talents, but obviously not Quinn. Then he would allow him to play a preseason game up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad