GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is a pretty poor comparison of prospects since they’re not equivalent at all. Yamamoto has been a better scorer through his D-1, D, and D+1 years relative to Ronning by a very wide margin. Yamamoto’s WHL performance last year (D+1) was better than Ronning’s (D+2)

Right. Saying that Ronning isn't less of a prospect than Yamamoto is absurd.

Reactions: haveandare

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
When you espouse a ridiculous conspiracy theory as a means to justify Zucc's eventual trade, yes, it is an agenda. You aren't fooling anyone.

I don't know what your relationship is with Zucc, but we get it. You love him and want him to be a Ranger for the rest of his natural life. That just isn't the reality of the situation. He's a very good player, but he's older and in the final year of his contract. The assets we can get for him at the deadline are likely more valuable to a rebuilding team than Zucc will be in the next number of years.

Who knows, maybe we'll trade Zucc and then he'll re-sign with us anyway. Best of both worlds, right? No player is bigger than the team. If trading Zucc is in the best interest of the Rangers, that is what they will do.

Oh no...Zucc again.

Listen...you got it all wrong. I don't necessarily want him to be a Ranger until he retires, I want what makes him happy. And to be honest, it could be better for him to try new grounds, specially if he plays for a cup contender. Then he has a chance to get that ring. Hagelin has two, and Zucc is jealous.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ronning was an overage draft pick one year before Yamamoto's draft year. I think he's a good prospect but I certainly wouldn't rank him with Yamamoto who is a younger player and at least a year ahead of him as far as being ready.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
disappointed that ronning didn't show enough to warrant being kept around. but not a big deal. we always complain about guys not getting a look before being sent down and then the guy ends up back up before the preseason is over. wouldn't be surprised if that happens here.

the really interesting and exciting one though is keane sticking around. love what i've seen of him so far and its almost guaranteed that he gets sent back to juniors after tomorrow's game. but normally the junior guys are automatics for the first round of cuts. so keeping him around to play in atleast 1 preseason games means he has really impressed

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nineteen-year-old defenseman Joey Keane, one of the Rangers’ two third round picks in this summer’s NHL draft, has impressed the coaching staff through four practices to have earned the right to stick around for a little while longer.

“He’s got great feet; he competes, and he’s got a lot of physical skills,’’ coach David Quinn said of Keane.
“I love the fact that he’s willing to learn. We think he’s a great prospect. He’s got an awful lot of ability. I think as he gets older, he’s going to adapt, and his game will grow. We really like a lot of things we see about him from a physical standpoint.’’

Keane was the player battling with No. 1 center Mika Zibanejad in the one-on-one drills Sunday when Zibanejad got the wind knocked out of him and had to leave practice early. Zibanejad turned out to be OK, but for a little while there, Keane was worried.

“When I saw him go down, I was really scared,’’ Keane said Tuesday, with a nervous laugh. “But then when we got off the ice, I was talking to him. It was just — we were battling, and it was a freak accident.’’

Rookie Joey Keane survives first round of Rangers cuts

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Day has the size, strength, the skating. He should simplify his game and focus on his defense. Watching the first game in Traverse---he was all over the place--doing all kinds of stuff he didn't need to do.

As far as Ronning--it is what it is. I never expected that he was making the Rangers this year. The coaching staff no doubt ranking him behind a bunch of other forwards. Keep in mind that of the 27 forwards the Rangers brought to camp 19 of them have played at least one NHL game. Also that there's only 5 exhibitions left and the last two/three will probably be with 30 players or less. If the Rangers didn't see enough in practice that they thought they wanted to give him a slot in the next couple games then might as well send him to Hartford.
I would add that Day really needs to add some intensity, 50% of the reason why he looks lazy to the casual observer.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Gropp has the potential to surprise some people this season.

I'm not going to sugarcoat his flaws and the disappointing start to last season, but I also saw a kid who started to find his game after December and scored at close to a 20 goal pace before going down to injury.

I wouldn't write him off just yet, though he still has a long road ahead of him.

I agree with @Trxjw I wonder how Gropp would do when paired with a playmaking center. He's a shoot first type with an excellent shot. NYR doesn't have many of those. Would like to see him with some PP time.

Probably won't happen due to his other flaws, but intriguing nonetheless....

Yeah I know he was kind of the running joke last year amongst a lot of posters, but I still see potential there. Not a guy who creates a lot on his own, but if he can adapt to the speed of the pro game, and finds a center he meshes with, I think there might be a 20G season or two within reach. The release, shot, size and skating are all there. He just needs to learn how to find the seams in the ice as a pro or find someone who is going to create space for him. Might be the kind of guy who makes a living in the high slot as a bumper on the PP.

Reactions: egelband

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Some of these guys are the longer-term prospects we've talked about. Day and Ronning were always wildcards, it would've been surprising if they weren't early cuts IMO.

We can't look at this through the lens of past years. There are a lot of young talents into camp right now and the guys who are closer and further along are going to need time to get extended looks.

Day seems to be a guy that everyone is very eager to get on the "right side" of history with. I mean, I don't know where the expectations come from with him. Size, skating, sure. The rest? Totally underwhelming and hasn't improved all that much since he was drafted. He's simply more gifted physically than 98% of kids in his draft class.

Both guys should stew in the minors for a year or two. No rush to get them up here, and certainly no reason to be sour about them getting cut early.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I know he was kind of the running joke last year amongst a lot of posters, but I still see potential there. Not a guy who creates a lot on his own, but if he can adapt to the speed of the pro game, and finds a center he meshes with, I think there might be a 20G season or two within reach. The release, shot, size and skating are all there. He just needs to learn how to find the seams in the ice as a pro or find someone who is going to create space for him. Might be the kind of guy who makes a living in the high slot as a bumper on the PP.

I thought he was the best Rangers prospect from December on during his final year in juniors. Played really well the WHL playoffs. But there's no way to sugar coat it, he was not good last year in the pros. Now he might have a skill deficiency from his days playing with Barzal, because Barzal carried the puck the entire time, and Gropp either got open, or pounced on a rebound after a Barzal drive, but that's not a bad thing imo.

IMO he's got the tools to be a Jason Chimera. That's a big, fast bottom six winger. Chimera did a lot of things well in the NHL, but he did it by being a hard north south winger that went full speed, and hard to the net. The hand skills and hockey sense aren't there, and that's okay.

Gropp has the physical tools to play like a Chimera. Does he have the character and drive is what I would question.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I gotta be honest with you, my concern right now is how he thinks through the game.

In so many ways he feels like he's on the opposite end of the spectrum from a guy like Andersson.

Obviously different players and different positions, but just feel like they're approaching from two different directions.

Andersson isn't a guy whose skills immediately jump out at you. He isn't a physical speciman, he isn't flashy, he's not really who blows you away with any one particular skill. But he's smart, and he knows where to be, and he makes sure he gets there and almost instinctively knows what to do. There's a certain efficiency to his movements and thought process.

Day is a guy who catches your eye on the ice. He's big, moves fluidly (moreso than straight speed), can cover a lot of ground and generates attention. But there's often a sense that he's moments from disaster, a hesitation, a slight delay as the play unfolds, or that he doesn't quite fully grasp what's happening in front of him. You tend to see if against better individual competition, or better than average teams. It's like watching a fielder who doesn't get a good read as the ball leaves the bat, but is athletic enough to get to the plays.

Because of that, you wonder how it will translate against better competition where the game is so much faster. I don't think the reads and awareness will ever be a strength, but can he keep progressing to the point where he's good enough (with his athletic ability) to make it work?

But that answer isn't going to come sooner, if it comes at all. It's going to take time and patience, and maybe even a second contract.

Great post and analogy. I don't think it does. He spaces out. That's the best way I can describe it from watching a few games, and talking to others. The head for the game, and I'm going to say the level of engagement needed out there isn't something that Day has imo.

I'm not sure he gets a 2nd contract TBH, he would really need to evolve as a pro.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes there is, Yamamoto made the Oilers team last year. It’s nice that Ronning had 60 goals last year, but he’s not some sort of super prospect, his ceiling stills seems to be a bottom 6 energy guy.

I’m honestly more surprised that people are surprised by him being in the first round of cuts in his first professional season

I will also touch on something I haven’t in a while.

I felt that Ronning picked up on a few bad habits last year and the Rangers may have to spend some time retraining him a little.

Prior to last year, I thought Ronning did a much better job working to play a more complete game. Honestly, I felt it was one of the main reasons he put himself a bit more firmly on the prospect radar.

But his team last year was desperate for offense, and as a result Ronning was deployed as more of a weapon. He tended to hang out waiting for the breakout pass and generally focused a lot more on the offensive side of things.

Frankly, his team needed the production and there weren’t a ton of options beyond him. They were winning games and that was the goal. But I also feel like that came at a bit of a cost to Ronning’s overall development.

We saw it in last year’s WHL playoffs, where you can’t really hang out like you do in the regular season. He’s since followed that up with a somewhat underwhelming rookie tournament and training camp.

None of this is to say that Ronning is any less of a prospect than he was 6 months ago. But I think there’s some work to get into better habits and all of this should serve as a sobering reminder that these kids are going to need time.

I think if half these kids were as far along as some want to believe, this team would be fielding 8 rookies this season.

Some of these kids are going to need two and even 3 years to potentially put the pieces together.

Reactions: Ola

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't gripe about Ronning being cut. If he can produce points in the AHL.... and I think he can with a playmaker at center.... then you try and mold him into that right shot scorer.

He's bulked up, which is great, but he's a long ways away from being an NHLer. Ronning is either very good Euroleager or a Brendan Gallagher.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I will also touch on something I haven’t in a while.

I felt that Ronning picked up on a few bad habits last year and the Rangers may have to spend some time retraining him a little.

Prior to last year, I thought Ronning did a much better job working to play a more complete game. Honestly, I felt it was one of the main reasons he put himself a bit more firmly on the prospect radar.

But his team last year was desperate for offense, and as a result Ronning was deployed as more of a weapon. He tended to hang out waiting for the breakout pass and generally focused a lot more on the offensive side of things.

Frankly, his team needed the production and there weren’t a ton of options beyond him. They were winning games and that was the goal. But I also feel like that came at a bit of a cost to Ronning’s overall development.

We saw it in last year’s WHL playoffs, where you can’t really hang out like you do in the regular season. He’s since followed that up with a somewhat underwhelming rookie tournament and training camp.

None of this is to say that Ronning is any less of a prospect than he was 6 months ago. But I think there’s some work to get into better habits and all of this should serve as a sobering reminder that these kids are going to need time.

I think if half these kids were as far along as some want to believe, this team would be fielding 8 rookies this season.

Some of these kids are going to need two and even 3 years to potentially put the pieces together.
Yeah, when I saw Ronning a few times last year, nothing told me that he was really all that close to making the NHL yet. The good thing is that he only has one season of bad junior habits to walk back, but he also still has plenty of work to do outside of that.

I’m not exactly in love with Ronning, but I do like him and think he’s developed really well for where he was drafted. I think realistically his season this year is going to look something like playing in the middle 6 (mostly on the 3rd line) in Hartford, not going to put up a lot of points, and won’t see any NHL time. I don’t think any of that will be a bad thing for him or for his status as a prospect, but I’ll be very happily surprised if he does better than all that

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What are the expectations for Jesper Fast? Seems to be a decent bet for 30 pts a season, maybe if he plays with Lias he could hit 40?

If you are asking from a fantasy standpoint, I wouldn't recommend drafting him, unless being a good role player somehow gets properly credited.

Very good hockey player though. One of the best bottom six forwards in the NHL, but I doubt it'll show up in the points column with more than 30-35 points.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If you are asking from a fantasy standpoint, I wouldn't recommend drafting him, unless being a good role player somehow gets properly credited.

Very good hockey player though. One of the best bottom six forwards in the NHL, but I doubt it'll show up in the points column with more than 30-35 points.

I'm in a deep league so someone like Fast is still valuable, especially with some potential to maybe hit 40 points. I've seen a lot of posters raving about him here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm in a deep league so someone like Fast is still valuable, especially with some potential to maybe hit 40 points. I've seen a lot of posters raving about him here.

He's one of the most valuable players on the team. Very hard type of player to acquire.

He hasn't gotten any PP time in recent years, which always hurts his point totals. Fast is the type of player that I think has more value in a real hockey setting than fantasy hockey, but I can't speak to who else would be available when you'd want to draft him, so maybe he's someone to consider.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He’s the perfect glue guy for a team. Offensively he’s got the brains and enough skill to hit 40 points, but I think he defers too much and doesn’t shoot enough to really rack up points

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That lineup should be fun. Just spitballing:

Vesey-Zib-Spooner
Names-Chytil-Buch
Fontaine-Howden-Lettieri
Gropp-Holland-Beleskey

Skjei-Ada
Smith-Keane
Hajek-Gilmour

Spooner-Zib-Buch
Vesey-Chytil-Namestnikov
Gropp-Howden-Lettieri
Beleskey-Holland-Fontaine

Skjei-Hajek
Smith-ADA
Gilmour-Keane

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Guessing:

Skjei-ADA
Hajek-Smith
Gilmour-Keane

Interested to see Libor out there. Physically he's ready for the NHL, reads, timing, systems, and coverage are things he needs to work on.

Looking forward to seeing Keane. Expecting a couple of puck rushes out there from him, and a couple of runs at guys in the neutral zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad