GDT: New York Rangers 2018-2019 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I wouldn't say he sucked. And he was the captain of that Traverse team, a lot of trainers in the organization appreciate his talents, but obviously not Quinn. Then he would allow him to play a preseason game up here.
Ronning not getting into a preseason game isn’t as crazy as you’re trying to make it seem

Reactions: UnSandvich

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
maybe, but Gilmour prefers the right side. Most of his AHL time last year was on the right.

Never knew that. I thought his preference was the left side.

In the case of him and Smith both being lefties that prefer the right, I guess it's more of a toss up.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think the coaching staff has a pretty good handle on where Ronning is right now.

This isn't an incitement on him as a player, he'll have every opportunity to kill it down in the A (where he was going to end up anyway) and be one of the first call ups but it's pretty crowded up front and they want to get a look at other guys.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I'd love to see
Names - Zib - Buch
Gropp - Chytil - Spooner
Vesey - Howden - Lettieri
Fontaine - Holland - Belleskey

Skjei - ADA
Hajek - Keane
Gilmour - Smith

I know it wont happen but that would be the most fun for me to watch

Reactions: Blue Blooded

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'd love to see
Names - Zib - Buch
Gropp - Chytil - Spooner
Vesey - Howden - Lettieri
Fontaine - Holland - Belleskey

Skjei - ADA
Hajek - Keane
Gilmour - Smith

I know it wont happen but that would be the most fun for me to watch
Would be an interesting lineup, but I would guess Smith plays with Keane or Hajek. Fontaine will be interesting to watch, can he grab a 4th line spot?

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I agree with @Trxjw I wonder how Gropp would do when paired with a playmaking center. He's a shoot first type with an excellent shot. NYR doesn't have many of those. Would like to see him with some PP time.

Probably won't happen due to his other flaws, but intriguing nonetheless....

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Day has the size, strength, the skating. He should simplify his game and focus on his defense. Watching the first game in Traverse---he was all over the place--doing all kinds of stuff he didn't need to do.

As far as Ronning--it is what it is. I never expected that he was making the Rangers this year. The coaching staff no doubt ranking him behind a bunch of other forwards. Keep in mind that of the 27 forwards the Rangers brought to camp 19 of them have played at least one NHL game. Also that there's only 5 exhibitions left and the last two/three will probably be with 30 players or less. If the Rangers didn't see enough in practice that they thought they wanted to give him a slot in the next couple games then might as well send him to Hartford.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think most of us expected to see him in a couple of pre-season games, but this coach found no room for him, probably based on his lack of size. We know Ronning has great talent, I really hope Quinn doesn't waste it. Be prepared for another Torts system.

You're just projecting your own biases and making assumptions. More likely is that Ronning just isn't ready for the NHL and that was apparent enough in practices and scrimmages that it wasn't necessary to see him in a preseason game.

None of the players who were cut today got a preseason game, so what's your excuse for the others? Does Quinn have a bias against big and fast players like Day? Does he have a bias against players named Gross?

Stop making up stuff to fit your agenda.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Day is a real emperor’s new cloaths phenomenon. Not really a good hockey player. And while skating certainly isn’t a weakness, it’s a strength, sure, but like overall he just don’t move great at all on the ice. Big and not very coordinated. Clumsy at times when he gets to the puck.

Compared to guys like Gilmour and TDA he isn’t even fast getting out of his own end. I don’t know if it’s the exceptional status thing or whatever, I just don’t at all see the same upside in him that others see. I am about as high on him as I was on Calle Andersson...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like Ronning but he is a project that needs time.

This time of the year he shouldn’t just be able to get involved, he should basically be one of the players that stand out the most in the entire camp before he is ready for NHL duty. Like sure it’s no problem if a player type like him was creating chances but not scoring consistently. But with Ronning he is clearly still borderline able to get involved in the play to start with.

He needs to go the Jonathan Marchessault route. Made the NHL at 26. First solid year at 27. And then a top year at 28 last season. Most kids like this never makes it. It doesn’t necessarily take to 25 years of age for those that do make it. It’s not like we have to forget about him for 4 more years.

But if he is going to make it he must make the same journey as JAM did, starting in HFD. Keep building on his strengths slowly but surely, while perfecting his game in all other areas.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You're just projecting your own biases and making assumptions. More likely is that Ronning just isn't ready for the NHL and that was apparent enough in practices and scrimmages that it wasn't necessary to see him in a preseason game.

None of the players who were cut today got a preseason game, so what's your excuse for the others? Does Quinn have a bias against big and fast players like Day? Does he have a bias against players named Gross?

Stop making up stuff to fit your agenda.

So you too jumped on that silly anti Webster wagon :D

First of all, it's called an opinion, not an agenda.

And when it comes to Ronning, he has way more talent than any of the other guys you mentioned.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

And when it comes to Ronning, he has way more talent than any of the other guys you mentioned.

Based on??? The production as a 20-year old in the WHL?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

When you espouse a ridiculous conspiracy theory as a means to justify Zucc's eventual trade, yes, it is an agenda. You aren't fooling anyone.

I don't know what your relationship is with Zucc, but we get it. You love him and want him to be a Ranger for the rest of his natural life. That just isn't the reality of the situation. He's a very good player, but he's older and in the final year of his contract. The assets we can get for him at the deadline are likely more valuable to a rebuilding team than Zucc will be in the next number of years.

Who knows, maybe we'll trade Zucc and then he'll re-sign with us anyway. Best of both worlds, right? No player is bigger than the team. If trading Zucc is in the best interest of the Rangers, that is what they will do.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
who's the troll in the presser that asked if Quinn liked the team's response to Boo getting an illegal hit to the head?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Both tore up the WHL, just because the Oilers had room to fit him in last year and the Rangers didn't with Ronning doesn't mean he's any less of a prospect.

But I am realistic, he's still very young and can hopefully only get better. We'll see how his production is in the AHL this season and perhaps he can get a call up at some point if he proves people wrong.

Right.

It's everything else about Yamamoto that makes Ronning "less of a prospect".

Since. You know. Yamamoto is straight up a better prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad