Seravalli: New Jersey Devils have been after Boeser for a few years now.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think you'd find a decent number who would be willing to part with Smith, though yes, there are some who wouldn't

I'd have no issue giving up Ty for Boeser (or preferably Garland instead). I just don't really see what it does for them with what they already have. Drance said the Canucks think he's the best of our guys but that might make it even less likely it gets done if the guy they think is the best also doesn't make sense fit wise

Reactions: Forge

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You said Boeser benefited from playing with the Sedin's alot, he didn't, did he benefit from playing on a team with the Sedin's, absolutely, but his abilities and what he accomplished, were all him, if you watched that season you would know this, he was literally the only shining light on the team.

This narrative that him and Zacha are close in value because Boeser has through out his career played with better line mates is a load of crap, as evidenced by the fact that Boeser proved he could produce with Bo and Sven in his rookie season.

That's my point. Boeser is at the very least a tier above Zacha, at the very least.
You clearly are ignoring what I’m saying. Playing the power-play unit on a regular basis is benefiting. Also never said they were close in value I said they were closer in value compared to what people think and the difference is not Ty Smith. I also said that he is clearly a better player. Now there is an argument for him being a tier above Pavel Zacha but if you look at who is linemates have been throughout his career They have consistently been good players whereas Zacha has been the complete opposite. That’s a huge difference

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You clearly are ignoring what I’m saying. Playing the power-play unit on a regular basis is benefiting. Also never said they were close in value I said they were closer in value compared to what people think and the difference is not Ty Smith. I also said that he is clearly a better player. Now there is an argument for him being a tier above Pavel Zacha but if you look at who is linemates have been throughout his career They have consistently been good players whereas Zacha has been the complete opposite. That’s a huge difference

Sounds like your ignoring what I'm saying and what others have said, most of his production ( in his rookie season) came 5 on 5, which last times I checked isn't on any power play unit.

I like Zacha and I get what your saying about his production, I still believe Boeser is a tier above that and absolutely worthy of Smith as a plus.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Dude. you continue to put words in my mouth. I never said he didn't produce his first year without superior linemates. He had the advantage of playing with them. I also never said he needs those types of player to succeed but paying with those kinds of players are beneficial when it comes to scoring. I also linked articles that talked about how he benefited from playing with the Sedins.
Once again my argument is and has been right from the start. Boeser has played with better players and has been given more opportunity than Zacha. That is 100% true.
I also have been trying to justify the differnece between Zacha and Boeser is not Smith or a first and to justify that I have also talked about how Boeser makes almost three times as much money as Zacha and has had better linemates.
Zachas first three seasons he NEVER had consistent linemates and spent virtually all of his time playing with guys who were NOT their top offensive guys. There were fans that didn't liek Zacha and guys like me who thought Hynes ruined him and never gave him the opportunity to have consistent players to develop chemistry with. Then in Zachas "Fourth" year he finally had consistent players in Bratt and Gusev who were still not the same level players that JT Miller and Petterson are. He started to turn and we all saw it. He had something like 22 points in his last 30 games. Then we all had lots of hope the next year and then Gusev did absolutely nothing. Yet Zacha was still on pace for 54 points, led the team in points including more than Bratt who many thought was the best of the three and his having a PPG year this year. . This year Zacha and Boeser are posting close to similar PPG with the advantage to Boeser, but Boeser is also getting more opportunity than Zacha. That being said. That is my argument for saying that the players value wise are not as far off as people think. Yes Boeser is better. But not to include Zacha 'and' Smith.
There is a gigantic difference in value between Boeser and Zacha. Gigantic difference in production over their careers that "opportunity" doesn't even come close to accounting for.

Boeser had an awful first 20 games of the season, like the entire roster except maybe 4-5 players. But since the Canucks fired Green, Boeser has 11 goals and 18 points in 22 games.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Smith or Rathbone can always be packaged into another deal if needed. I seem to remember Smith playing the Right side in Junior though.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Your semantics 'I didnt say that' arguments are like listening to a married couple.

Boeser is well above Zacha.

And Ty Smith is a project prospect there's a possibility he busts.

You wouldn't even get Boeser if New Jersey offered both of them.

If Boeser ain't your cup of tea no one cares. He's a 65-70 pt 1st line winger. The only reason he's being shopped is because we are CAPped out of our ass and his qualifying offer isn't cheap. He'll get paid, but maybe not by Vancouver.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Your semantics 'I didnt say that' arguments are like listening to a married couple.

Boeser is well above Zacha.

And Ty Smith is a project prospect there's a possibility he busts.

You wouldn't even get Boeser if New Jersey offered both of them.

If Boeser ain't your cup of tea no one cares. He's a 65-70 pt 1st line winger. The only reason he's being shopped is because we are CAPped out of our ass and his qualifying offer isn't cheap. He'll get paid, but maybe not by Vancouver.
People casually toss away Boesers slow start this year yet they shit on Ty Smith for his crap play so far this year? Why? It’s unfair to judge Smith on the last 30 games . He missed most of camp and was injured and seems like he has not removed fully yet. Last season he was very good and had some Calder votes. Writing him off as a mediocre prospect is just wrong. Yes there is some risk with him and he needs to put in some work but it’s more of a confidence issue and shitty coaching / system than anything in my opinion. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Zacha plus Smith doesn’t hold that much value.Cost controlled young D that has shown he can play in a top 4 role and on the PP1 (last year ) . He has to have a little more value than you are giving him credit for

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
People casually toss away Boesers slow start this year yet they shit on Ty Smith for his crap play so far this year? Why? It’s unfair to judge Smith on the last 30 games . He missed most of camp and was injured and seems like he has not removed fully yet. Last season he was very good and had some Calder votes. Writing him off as a mediocre prospect is just wrong. Yes there is some risk with him and he needs to put in some work but it’s more of a confidence issue and shitty coaching / system than anything in my opinion. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Zacha plus Smith doesn’t hold that much value.Cost controlled young D that has shown he can play in a top 4 role and on the PP1 (last year ) . He has to have a little more value than you are giving him credit for

He's got lots of upside. Definitely not worth the gamble for Vancouver when they're trading a top line winger. And the Zacha consolation prize is funny. New Jersey wants us to take a couple projects for Boeser.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He's got lots of upside. Definitely not worth the gamble for Vancouver when they're trading a top line winger. And the Zacha consolation prize is funny. New Jersey wants us to take a couple projects for Boeser.
Ya I’m not sure what actual fair value is for Boeser. The QO makes it hard. If that wasn’t an issue though , no way he is remotely available. No way it’s Zacha and a mediocre prospect. But then , it doesn’t make sense for the Devils to give up a 1st round pick or Holtz , Mercer etc.
It’s a hard deal to make as the Canucks need RHD and a 3c , just like the Devils do. Only RHD the devils have that could move is Severson or Walsh but even those two don’t make that much sense to move.
Devils have been using Mercer , Zacha , Boqvist at 3c. Mercer is not going anywhere , Boqvist (although is playing very good right now) is not enough of an add to Zacha…..McLeod is a decent - good 4c but can’t see him being a good 3C .
These don’t really address the Canucks main needs but here are the best pieces I can think of that are not untouchable. None are very attractive though.
Smith
Sharangovich
Foote
Boqvist
Walsh
Zetterlund
Johnson
Tatar
Kuokkanen
Studenic

Some Devils fans don’t want to trade Sharangovich but I’d move him without hesitation. He will be redundant once Holtz arrives.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Ya I’m not sure what actual fair value is for Boeser. The QO makes it hard. If that wasn’t an issue though , no way he is remotely available. No way it’s Zacha and a mediocre prospect. But then , it doesn’t make sense for the Devils to give up a 1st round pick or Holtz , Mercer etc.
It’s a hard deal to make as the Canucks need RHD and a 3c , just like the Devils do. Only RHD the devils have that could move is Severson or Walsh but even those two don’t make that much sense to move.
Devils have been using Mercer , Zacha , Boqvist at 3c. Mercer is not going anywhere , Boqvist (although is playing very good right now) is not enough of an add to Zacha…..McLeod is a decent - good 4c but can’t see him being a good 3C .
These don’t really address the Canucks main needs but here are the best pieces I can think of that are not untouchable. None are very attractive though.
Smith
Sharangovich
Foote
Boqvist
Walsh
Zetterlund
Johnson
Tatar
Kuokkanen
Studenic

Some Devils fans don’t want to trade Sharangovich but I’d move him without hesitation. He will be redundant once Holtz arrives.

Severson or Sharagovich would be a couple players I would target if I were Van.

Agreed that Holtz or Mercer would be untouchable. No way Vancouver gets that's lucky.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
What about something around switching 1st round picks after the Lottery..............pending no change in order

Canuck's 2022 - 1st + Boeser

for

Devil's 2022 - 1st and Severson

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
What about something around switching 1st round picks after the Lottery..............pending no change in order

Canuck's 2022 - 1st + Boeser

for

Devil's 2022 - 1st and Severson

It's just unrealistic. Why would either GM swap their pick when neither are a good team. Just a strange fight with fire.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
How about these options

Devils offer
Zacha
Sharangovich
2022 2nd
2023 2nd

Canucks offer
Boeser
Cap dump (Pool,an or Dickinson )

or
Devils offer
Ty Smith
Zacha

Canucks offer
Boeser
Cap dump

or
Devils offer
Severson
Zacha

Canucks
Boeser

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
How about these options

Devils offer
Zacha
Sharangovich
2022 2nd
2023 2nd

Canucks offer
Boeser
Cap dump (Pool,an or Dickinson )

or
Devils offer
Ty Smith
Zacha

Canucks offer
Boeser
Cap dump

or
Devils offer
Severson
Zacha

Canucks
Boeser
Maybe I'm wrong but I think Boeser's and Severson's value is pretty similar.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Drance makes stuff up all the time. Ty Smith makes no sense for Van. Sat Shah on the other hand is clearly connected to the team and says there have been deep conversations about Dickinson for Zacha (did not say 1 for 1).

With the BS Drance said about Hughes on an IV last year I can’t believe people still take him seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad