Seravalli: New Jersey Devils have been after Boeser for a few years now.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
LOL Boeser is 24 years old. He hasnt even hit his prime yet. You talk of him as if he is 32 years old and on the down swing of his career.

"2022 Boeser" is having a down year according to you, which i can agree with.

Boeser's down year and he is still on pace for 26 goals.

Imagine thinking that GMs wont pay for a 24 yr old sniper on pace for 26 goals on a down year.

Also, 26 goals is his pace for the entire year, a year in which the coach got fired for enforcing a terrible system. Since new coach and new system (24 Games played) Boeser has been playing at a 38 goal per season pace.

"teams are going to be trading for the value they provide in the future" according to you

in other words, what have you done for me lately,

So whats the worth of a sniper playing at a 38 goals per season pace the last 24 games at 24 yrs old?
Plenty of goal scorers had their best years before the age of 24. Especially guys that don’t skate that well and are injured all the time.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Boeser would be our best / second best ( up for debate between him and Bratt) winger . Of course I’d love to add a young goal scorer to our roster BUT…I have some reservations :
1. 7.5 million cap hit
2. Has had some injuries in the past
3. Production has not improved for a couple of seasons now.
4. Not the fastest skater in the world

Yes he has potential to return to a 30g + winger , but he also could be a 20g player earning 7.5 mil per.
Only 24 years old and has shown the ability to score so… makes it very damn tempting .

Reactions: HBK27

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
He has missed about 10-15 games over the past 4 seasons including his covid bout, not sure I'd say he is injured all the time.

You might want to re-crunch those numbers…last year was the only year he played in all games. All other years he’s missed: 12, 13, and 20 games. Another 6 so far this year as well.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I don't know if the two teams make good trading partners given that the Canucks need young RHD and the Devils don't have a surplus of those.

Boeser for Smith+ makes sense from a value perspective but the Canucks don't need a LHD when they have Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone. Mukhamadullin+1st is a reasonable basis, but once again, LHD...

I think it's more likely we see a deal like Dickinson + 3rd for Zacha. Maybe Canucks add a bit more.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think Vancouver fans will be disappointed with the Boeser return. Yes he was very productive in the past, but teams are going to be trading for the value they provide in the future as opposed to what he's already done.

He's expensive, having a down year, and doesn't seem to fit in with Rutherford's vision. All of those things make him less valuable and more expendable.

2019 Boeser? Yes absolutely, he'll get an unprotected 1st and a bluechip prospect. 2022 Boeser? That's a completely different asset.
We understand that certain factors will affect his value. It's not like we're asking for Luke Hughes...

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not sure either, unless it’s a bigger shake up deal.

I know Boeser + Dickinson was thrown around a bit. Devils could realistically do that, but probably want to send out another forward with salary to do so. Would make the most sense for the Devils to send out their more expendable guys like Johnsson (3.4 for one more year), Tatar (4.5 for one more year), or Kuokkanen (1.8 for one more year).

I can’t see any being of interest to Vancouver except for maybe Johnsson. None of those guys help Vancouver to be a better skating team and would add cap which seems to be counter productive to what Vancouver is looking for. Unless they see a combined total of 10 million in Boeser + Dickinson versus 6-6.5 million in Zacha (RFA at seasons end) + Johnsson and shorter commitment to be worth it.

It’s also hard to see how the Devils can fill in the gap in value in that deal too. Bahl and 2022 2nd maybe? But then I don’t see the incentive for Vancouver here.
What do Devils fans think about Foote+2022 2nd for Boeser?

Reactions: MakoSlade

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Devils would do that in a second but I think you might be thinking the Devils have Cal Foote the RHS Defenseman rather than Nolan Foote the winger
No, I understand that you have the winger. Devils 2nd would be the main piece in the trade, because it is almost a late 1st.

I just looked at Nolan's stats and he's not doing so well in the AHL though...

Would the Devils add McCarthy to get the deal done?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
No, I understand that you have the winger. Devils 2nd would be the main piece in the trade, because it is almost a late 1st.

I just looked at Nolan's stats and he's not doing so well in the AHL though...

Would the Devils add McCarthy to get the deal done?

I would assume they'd be willing to part with him, even though they don't have a lot of right side defender, he's pretty easily replaced.
Problem with Nolan is his speed, he's got the tools to be a top 6 player someday, but his footwork needs major improvement

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Boeser would be our best / second best ( up for debate between him and Bratt) winger . Of course I’d love to add a young goal scorer to our roster BUT…I have some reservations :
1. 7.5 million cap hit
2. Has had some injuries in the past
3. Production has not improved for a couple of seasons now.
4. Not the fastest skater in the world

Yes he has potential to return to a 30g + winger , but he also could be a 20g player earning 7.5 mil per.
Only 24 years old and has shown the ability to score so… makes it very damn tempting .

Boeser is coming off his BEST PPG season just last season, lead the team in scoring...so I don't agree with #3 on your list.

As for #1- his qualifying offer is 7.5m, he has not played like that player this year, he could say f*** it and sign a 1yr year deal at that number but no guarantee Vancouver signs it. He could take a deal for less than 7.5m with some term to set him up as a UFA at a good age still also.

#2- yes he has had some injuries and #4- yes he isn't the fastest skater but is good positionally I think he is misused on the PP, either way he is a goal scorer and Canucks shouldn't just give up on him

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I would assume they'd be willing to part with him, even though they don't have a lot of right side defender, he's pretty easily replaced.
Problem with Nolan is his speed, he's got the tools to be a top 6 player someday, but his footwork needs major improvement
If he has size but not speed, or speed but not size, then it's workable for the Canucks. The problem we have is that we have a lot of players that have neither.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If he has size but not speed, or speed but not size, then it's workable for the Canucks. The problem we have is that we have a lot of players that have neither.
He's got some size, and he uses that size effectively but his biggest plus is his shot, it's a real heavy shot for sure
I see him as a PP threat that can score from right in front of the net or from distance

Reactions: elitepete

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Just a thought. Wouldn’t Devils fans rather see Bratt’s next contract before the Devils take on Boeser. Their salaries are piling up. After this season:

Hamilton- 6 years $9M AAV
Hischier - 5 years $7.25M AAV
Hughes- 8 years $8M AAV
Bratt-? (He’s probably getting a contract in the $6-8M range).

Realistically, that’s almost $40M invested in 5 players if the Devils get Boeser, almost 50% of the cap. I’m not saying the Devils are strapped if they get Boeser, but if they are wrong about him and have an albatross contract of 6 years $7.5M, things are going to tighten up very quick cap wise.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Just a thought. Wouldn’t Devils fans rather see Bratt’s next contract before the Devils take on Boeser. Their salaries are piling up. After this season:

Hughes- 8 years $8M AAV

Realistically, that’s almost $40M invested in 5 players if the Devils get Boeser, almost 50% of the cap. I’m not saying the Devils are strapped if they get Boeser, but if they are wrong about him and have an albatross contract of 6 years $7.5M, things are going to tighten up very quick cap wise.
i bet the vancouver fans here would be so gracious to help us with our cap issues and take back jack hughes with 2m retained salary.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I don't think so man, Boeser is going to get a 1st at minimum and a roster player.
1198194.gif

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Hughes- 8 years $8M AAV

Great post. 1,000 likes if I could. Why get the team capped out while they are picking in the top 10 every year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad