Confirmed with Link: Ned is back! 2x2.5m

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Idk, dont love this deal. Ned was good during the first half of the season but dropped off quite a bit with heavier minutes. Goaltending in FA is a barren wasteland though so meh

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The only fault I find with this reasoning is that what Ned wants also factors in here. He might not have been willing to accept a one year deal.
And then there are other backup goalies who will…that’s the thing getting wedded to backups or bottom six players…they’re not consistent…we could pick up another backup who could outshine Ned next season

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
When is the last time a team started a rookie with one year NA pro experience in an NHL tandem? There was never a chance Blomquist was starting up here.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but NHL teams treat goalie prospects like they’re fragile ancient Egyptian artifacts. Nothing like wasting 6 years to develop a guy then learning he sucks.
Murray was an exception; 40 AHL games, 1.58 and 0.941 before coming to the big club. Blomqvist 45 games last year, 2.16 and 0.921. The latter is still pretty impressive, but I can't imagine this team giving JB much of a shot next season unless there are injuries or the season absolutely goes down the shitter.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Murray was an exception; 40 AHL games, 1.58 and 0.941 before coming to the big club. Blomqvist 45 games last year, 2.16 and 0.921. The latter is still pretty impressive, but I can't imagine this team giving JB much of a shot next season unless there are injuries or the season absolutely goes down the shitter.
Murray also happened due to Neal concussing MAF in the last game of the season. He got his chance and ran with it, but I don’t think it would have surprised anyone if they would have let him marinate another year had that not happened.

Reactions: Gurglesons

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Nice deal. As others have mentioned I would like to see Jarry shipped out. If only Jarry could perform like he does in October and November for the entire season.

Reactions: Giskard

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Might be a sign and trade

Probably just covering all bases. There’s lots of scenarios.

Starters position:
Keep Jarry
See if there is a decent trade for Jarry
Get a cheaper shorter term goalie who could replicate (or do better) than Jarry last year.
If Jarry is traded and a starter doesn’t come back in the trade or quickly in another trade then they can use Ned in the short term.

Backup position:
Ned stays
Ned stays but during the season but JB gets a shot and looks good enough to stay up so trade Ned

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
I'm probably going to touch myself to the thought of that tonight.
garr-dodgeball.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I won’t be happy if we’ll be spending $7.8M on mediocre to below average goaltending…now get Jarry out of here and sign another platoon goalie for $2M, and spending $4.5M on mediocre goaltending is fine lol…we save $3M we could use on someone else….guarantee Ned and X won’t be worse than Jarry and Ned

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Great signing! Though I wouldn’t want Ned as our 1A.

Jarry is likely staying until Blomqvist is ready. Another year? Probably.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Hey at least we are paying 8 million for a goalie tandem that isn't great.
There is no cap amount for any pairing of goaltenders that is great for this team. This system isn't designed to help goalies in the least and almost all have failed the last 7 seasons. Ned had been absolute mediocre as shit and morons, absolute f***ing morons here, think he's the better goalie which tells you all you need to know for how stupid most of this fan base has truly become. We're talking peak ignorant twats during the Crosby first few years of bandwagon brain dead idiocy here.

Every bit of info out there shows the real issue and that Ned wasn't better and it's not the narrative anyone wants to push because the truth isn't as fun on a message board of moronic ideas all the while knowing the real issues to talk about.

The moment Ned took over most of the starts from March 16th, the Pens were absolutely shit defensively and allowed almost an extra goal per game, the difference was going 2.85 gf/g to 4.0 gf/g.

"We need Ned instead of Jarry."

No, your parents should have worn a condom.

Reactions: Ragamuffin Gunner

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There is no cap amount for any pairing of goaltenders that is great for this team. This system isn't designed to help goalies in the least and almost all have failed the last 7 seasons. Ned had been absolute mediocre as shit and morons, absolute f***ing morons here, think he's the better goalie which tells you all you need to know for how stupid most of this fan base has truly become. We're talking peak ignorant twats during the Crosby first few years of bandwagon brain dead idiocy here.

Every bit of info out there shows the real issue and that Ned wasn't better and it's not the narrative anyone wants to push because the truth isn't as fun on a message board of moronic ideas all the while knowing the real issues to talk about.

The moment Ned took over most of the starts from March 16th, the Pens were absolutely shit defensively and allowed almost an extra goal per game, the difference was going 2.85 gf/g to 4.0 gf/g.

"We need Ned instead of Jarry."

No, your parents should have worn a condom.
To be honest I prefer Ned over Jarry not because of performance but because I have a deep seated dislike of TJ on a personal level. I hate his face, his attitude, everything about him. He is the better goalie than Ned, although that's like saying that piss smells less bad than shit.

If we're gonna get mediocre goalie results anyways we might as well pay less to get them and get rid of TJ's shit contract.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Jarry was a bottom 5 goalie in the NHL after January.
Ned was .888sv% and Jarry was .886sv%

The difference here, you pillock, is Jarry was struggling in that stretch while Nedeljkovic was giving the best he had. You're too daft to understand this so let's hope Jarry is dealt and we can all see Sullivan and his putrid system continue to ruin other goalies and see if Jarry in a different system, is the goalie we thought he was - goes either way there for those that always hoped he failed vs the ones that knew he could be good on a team that manages tandems better.

Personally I was hoping LA would deal for him, but they made the idiotic deal of Dubois for Kuemper. I would have loved to see Dubois come to the Pens and immediately ask to be dealt after Sullivan tried to adjust his game.

To be honest I prefer Ned over Jarry not because of performance but because I have a deep seated dislike of TJ on a personal level. I hate his face, his attitude, everything about him. He is the better goalie than Ned, although that's like saying that piss smells less bad than shit.

If we're gonna get mediocre goalie results anyways we might as well pay less to get them and get rid of TJ's shit contract.
This is the most pathetic shit I've read here and one of the reasons this board has become main board levels of idiocy.

Sullivan has ruined countless players that have gone on to rebound. Yet Jarry's issue with you is his appearance? Jarry isn't even a smug twat like Murray was. He's well liked by the team and it seems the only bloke that doesn't really like him is Sullivan judging by some old rumors of him being angry with Jarry for being hurt during that one season he had a serious injury that should have shut him down for the year but Sullivan kept playing him for long stretches anyway when he was available.

Ned was pure shit at his "best" and the system didn't really help him at all. He allowed more goals, but the Pens finally scored more. If that offense didn't show up in the last 15-16 games, Ned wouldn't be back and you lot would be saying he was absolutely awful and good riddance. But being barely average to say the least is the bar you lot have set. Ned was on a "streak" wherew he as barely average. Jarry on a streak is elite goaltending.

When a coach can't balance the rotation and doesn't make defensive adjustments to fix the issues, Jarry being burned out happens. I can't wait until he's dealt and we see the same shit done to Ned and Blom. This board will go from bad to worse.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Ned was .888sv% and Jarry was .886sv%

The difference here, you pillock, is Jarry was struggling in that stretch while Nedeljkovic was giving the best he had. You're too daft to understand this so let's hope Jarry is dealt and we can all see Sullivan and his putrid system continue to ruin other goalies and see if Jarry in a different system, is the goalie we thought he was - goes either way there for those that always hoped he failed vs the ones that knew he could be good on a team that manages tandems better.

Personally I was hoping LA would deal for him, but they made the idiotic deal of Dubois for Kuemper. I would have loved to see Dubois come to the Pens and immediately ask to be dealt after Sullivan tried to adjust his game.

This is the most pathetic shit I've read here and one of the reasons this board has become main board levels of idiocy.
Is this what it sounds like when I defend Sullivan?

Because if so, I have some reevaluating to do.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Is this what it sounds like when I defend Sullivan?

Because if so, I have some reevaluating to do.
Sullivan is the problem for so many facets to this team, you should seek professional help if you're defending Sullivan and blaming the players.

Edit:

How do you go from knowing what we all know of players that leave and thrive after leaving Sullivan, players that were productive before coming as well, to blaming the players? He literally got a Norris trophy winner that was playing well in October and November to making adjustments to his game and ruining the bloke to the point he looked like he questioned everything he did on the ice.

This is the same coach that when asked how he was going to help Sprong's development he said he wanted to see him play the game Crosby's line needed him to play and how to get Crosby the puck. Ironically he took a scorer that needed development and told him to be anything but a scorer and then not play him with Sid and blame him for not scoring. Then blokes wonder why shooters turn to passers on the team and play confused.

Gee, if only we had a way to figure out why...

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's a choker whose play consistently goes into the toilet down the stretch. He completely blew it the one playoff series he did get. Can't stay healthy either so between that and the consistently cratering March/April play I'd rather send his ass anywhere else.

And he completely lost me when he was staring daggers at Malkin after Malkin accidentally tipped a puck in on him. Dude already sucks shit and shouldn't be staring daggers at anyone. He's mid af.

Never once heard him say "yeah I had a bad game" in post game comments either. It's always "oh the team didn't play well enough". He's like Brooks Orpik with that shit. Always someone else's fault that the team is bad.

As for him being better when he goes elsewhere, I'll believe it when I see it. I remember the smug posting about Kapanen being good in St. Louis after he shot 30% for a few months and now he's right back to being the same shitty player he was here.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He's a choker whose play consistently goes into the toilet down the stretch. He completely blew it the one playoff series he did get. Can't stay healthy either so between that and the consistently cratering March/April play I'd rather send his ass anywhere else.
You'll be shocked to know how many goalies that have won the cup have had similar situations as Jarry.

Btw, did you mean the playoff series he tanked in which...

Sidney Crosby in 6 games had 1+1, same for Guentzel. Jeff Carter led the team with 4 goals, no one else on that roster had more than 2 goals and the 2 other players that scored more than 1 goal was Zucker and Rust.

Jarry wasn't the issue in that series, mate. You just manifested the issues into just Jarry. It's like the blokes that say well, Bylsma f***ed the Pens vs Boston in the ECF. Well, did Bylsma tell Crosby and Malkin to put up 0pts in 4 games? Disco might have been a stubborn twat back then, but Sid & Geno going goose egg is all on them.

What's the other issue here?

Let's go back to 2021-22 when he plays his first true #1 workload as a starter: He put up 34-18-6 as a record, 2.42GAA and a .919sv% (following year he had that core injury that apparently was a problem for most of the season and was still played 47 games). First that playoffs, Casey DeShit also got hurt in that playoff year and we had Spicy Pork as the only option until the final game where Jarry, still injured from his broken foot and not 100%, was thrown in and the team still couldn't do shit. Jarry literally broke his f***ing foot in 2021-22 when he could have rebounded from the previous playoffs. He never got that chance because of a freak injury.

Does Jarry need to be better? Sure, 2021-22 he has a broken foot, ruins his redemption for the playoffs. 2022-23, he has an upper body injury that he never really recovered from and it was pretty apparent with his movement, at that point they should have shut him down and played DeShit and Tokarski, they had enough time to trade for a third goalie at that point just to not repeat the previous year. This season? The team was a shit show with awful special teams, 7th season running of awful puck management in a system that just gets exploited consistently each game and bizarre line-up choices throughout the season - another running theme. Goalies are easy to blame, because they get all of the blame or they get very little of the praise, they can have a 40 save effort in a 4-1 win and it'd be "well the team played amazing and the goalie did his thing." But if the team manages the puck piss poorly, its "well the goalie was awful and the team had no chance."
And he completely lost me when he was staring daggers at Malkin after Malkin accidentally tipped a puck in on him. Dude already sucks shit and shouldn't be staring daggers at anyone. He's mid af.
I don't recall this and you might be reading more into that look he gave Malkin if anything since this is the first time I am hearing this. If he's mid af, Ned is incredibly subpar af.
Never once heard him say "yeah I had a bad game" in post game comments either. It's always "oh the team didn't play well enough". He's like Brooks Orpik with that shit. Always someone else's fault that the team is bad.

As for him being better when he goes elsewhere, I'll believe it when I see it. I remember the smug posting about Kapanen being good in St. Louis after he shot 30% for a few months and now he's right back to being the same shitty player he was here.

Oh really?

“You play the game to win,” Jarry said at PPG Paints Arena following the contest. “I don’t think I’ve been giving the guys enough of a chance to win every night.”

Oh but you'll say "well sure, that one time..."

“I need to be better,” Jarry said bluntly. “That’s the bottom line. The guys need a save there at the end or one of the other (goals).

“I don’t think I’ve been giving the guys enough of a chance to win every night.”

Well, once again your lies has been proven as bullshit. He talks about "we..." not they or the team a lot of the time, yeah. It's we. Most of the players in the NHL will do that or they'll call themselves out, but Jarry hasn't thrown his team under the bus, also the criticisms he's given (letting them take up the middle of the ice, not collapsing, etc are actually fair assessments and the problems with this team defensively, so he's not wrong).

I recall an interview this past season after the Oilers, I think it was March and Jarry was dead on about not scoring and having issues with scoring, which if you actually bothered to look at, the Pens were scoring at 2.85 goals a game, it wasn't until about a week after that when Bunting really started to get comfortable that they ballooned to 4.0 goals a game (tops from that stretch).

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Idk, dont love this deal. Ned was good during the first half of the season but dropped off quite a bit with heavier minutes. Goaltending in FA is a barren wasteland though so meh
Ned is fine when you play him like a proper back up, which Sullivan did at first, but then he rode Tristan Jarry into the ground because I mean, if you're Mike Sullivan and you are trying not to repeat the previous season, you'll ride your top goalie as hard as you can before the wheels fall off and it did.

The only issues is the Penguins were heavily relying on Jarry to win games by scoring barely 3 goals a game. Only 2 months out of the season did they surpass the 3.0 Goals Per game mark.

Their GF/G and rank:

October: 21st - Scoring 2.89 GF/G (allowing 3.22 - 20th)
November: 16th - 3.31 GF/G (2.15 against - 2nd best)
December: 27th - 2.77 GF/G (2.69 against - 9th)
January: 17th - 2.82 GF/G (2.91 against- 16th)
February: 21st - 2.91 GF/G (2.73 against - 7th)
March: 21st - 2.81 GF/G (3.94 against - 31st, only the Sharks were worse)
April: 1st - 4.44 GF/G (3.44 against - 22nd worst)

First half: 3.02 GF/G, 2.73 GA/G (20th best offense and 7th best GA/G in the league)
Second half: 3.15 GF/G, 3.32 GA/G (13th best Goals for per game, 23rd ranked for goals against.

The offense was absolute shit. But the goaltending did the best it could given that. You can't win a lot of games when your offense is ranked in the bottom for 6 out of 7 months of the season. That's a coaching problem.

Ned struggled the more workload he got, he was barely keeping the puck out vs the Penguins just scoring like mad men. 4.44 Goals per game in April is ridiculous. Even if you go back to March 16th or so when the Penguins went with Ned full time, their goals for was tops in the league, but they were allowing a lot, they were 28th ranked for goals against per game, the only teams worse than them were the Flames, Jackets, Flyers, and Sharks. And keep in mind, this was during their "streak" of being great.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You'll be shocked to know how many goalies that have won the cup have had similar situations as Jarry.

Btw, did you mean the playoff series he tanked in which...

Sidney Crosby in 6 games had 1+1, same for Guentzel. Jeff Carter led the team with 4 goals, no one else on that roster had more than 2 goals and the 2 other players that scored more than 1 goal was Zucker and Rust.

Jarry wasn't the issue in that series, mate. You just manifested the issues into just Jarry.
Jarry wasn't "the" issue in that series, but he certainly was one. His negative 7.9 goals saved above expected was the worst of any goalie that playoffs. His expected goals against that series was 13 and he gave up a whopping 21 goals against. Pretty bad.
What's the other issue here?

Let's go back to 2021-22 when he plays his first true #1 workload as a starter: He put up 34-18-6 as a record, 2.42GAA and a .919sv% (following year he had that core injury that apparently was a problem for most of the season and was still played 47 games). First that playoffs, Casey DeShit also got hurt in that playoff year and we had Spicy Pork as the only option until the final game where Jarry, still injured from his broken foot and not 100%, was thrown in and the team still couldn't do shit. Jarry literally broke his f***ing foot in 2021-22 when he could have rebounded from the previous playoffs. He never got that chance because of a freak injury.

Does Jarry need to be better? Sure, 2021-22 he has a broken foot, ruins his redemption for the playoffs. 2022-23, he has an upper body injury that he never really recovered from and it was pretty apparent with his movement, at that point they should have shut him down and played DeShit and Tokarski, they had enough time to trade for a third goalie at that point just to not repeat the previous year. This season? The team was a shit show with awful special teams, 7th season running of awful puck management in a system that just gets exploited consistently each game and bizarre line-up choices throughout the season - another running theme. Goalies are easy to blame, because they get all of the blame or they get very little of the praise, they can have a 40 save effort in a 4-1 win and it'd be "well the team played amazing and the goalie did his thing." But if the team manages the puck piss poorly, its "well the goalie was awful and the team had no chance."
I don't have a problem with Jarry's work in 2021-22 playoffs. He was hurt. He tried his best when he came in, but the team couldn't manage anything and the Rangers were allowed to literally cheat and rip a dude's helmet off and score without the whistle being blown. Pens also had a 3-2 lead and spicy pork or no spicy pork they should have been able to close that out at home. But they blew it. Not TJ's fault in that case though.

22-23, yeah I agree they should have shut him down.

I don't think that TJ's play this season was terrible. It wasn't all that great either though. If you take the number of games he started (51) and sort by goalies who made at least that many starts, he ranks 9th out of 17 goalies in goals saved above expected. Pretty mid. I mean very nearly the definition of mid lol.

I'd like Jarry to be a bit better given what he's paid but I also apply the same standard to Ned. If they're going to spend a combined almost 8 million on goaltending then they need better results than what they're getting.

“You play the game to win,” Jarry said at PPG Paints Arena following the contest. “I don’t think I’ve been giving the guys enough of a chance to win every night.”

“I need to be better,” Jarry said bluntly. “That’s the bottom line. The guys need a save there at the end or one of the other (goals).

“I don’t think I’ve been giving the guys enough of a chance to win every night.”
I'll take the L on this point. I'm surprised you found any such quotes.

I don't recall this and you might be reading more into that look he gave Malkin if anything since this is the first time I am hearing this. If he's mid af, Ned is incredibly subpar af.
I can't remember the game off hand and I don't feel like combing through all of his starts right now to find it, but there was one where Malkin accidentally deflected a puck in on him and Jarry was just giving him this incredulous look. It really rubbed me the wrong way. It was from this year for sure.

Anyways, bottom line for me is whatever personal feelings I have about Jarry let's put those aside for a moment. Imo the Pens can't go into next year and spend 8 million on the same goaltending performance they got this year. It's too much money for that. They'd be better off moving on from Jarry if they think Blomqvist is ready and just running a Ned/Blomqvist tandem.

If they don't think Blomqvist is ready, then it's fine to keep Jarry, but it would still suck to be spending that much on a goaltending duo when they desperately need to improve the roster elsewhere.

Of course having cap space from a Jarry deal might prove irrelevant in the end anyways if Dubas squanders it all like he did last off season on shitty (outside of EK) forwards/defensemen.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As frustrating as our goatlending situation is, I still feel that our absymal powerplay, idiotic player usage, ineffective team defense, subpar blueline, and our lack of finishing are bigger issues, so eh. Neat.

It's like we bought a perfectly good used Toyota for a reasonable price. Nothing to get excited about at all, but nothing to get mad about either.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ned benefited from more scoring and did perform very well the last number of games. Jarry is a very capable goalie and this has to be the year he shows he can do that for 60 games. If he plays well and Blomquist is ready to play in the NHL, Jarry can be moved at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad