Confirmed with Link: Ned is back! 2x2.5m

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Realistically, yeah, this is just the team running it back with the same duo. But it leaves open the possibility, albeit Spooky Mulder-esque, that Dubas is working the phones to try and get out of the Jarry contract.

But they're really just gonna run it back. :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I pretty much agree with Jesse here.

I don't like spending 7 and a 1/2 million to get the goaltending we got this past year between TJ/Ned.

This move is fine if the Penguins plan to move on from Jarry, but if they're keeping both of the goalies I don't like it all that much.

FYI, Jeff Marek apparently mentioned on his show today with Elliott Friedman that he's heard Jarry's name out there now that the Markstrom trade is done.
Why the f would Dubas wait that long lol. His name should have been out there earlier.

Bahl + First would have been a coup for Jarry and if the Devils were willing to pay that for a 34 year old goalie who is arguably worse than TJ idk why they wouldn't be for TJ.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Not a fan cause that means Blomqvist will never get a shot. Just dont understand cause hey we arent going to make the playoffs till years from now so why just give Blomqvist a shot under Jarry? Guess Alex is part of the country club so winning isnt important. So only $10.7 Million under the cap.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Trading Jarry is fine if who replaces him is better.
If Ned regresses to Detroit Ned and Blomqvist has growing pains at this level, you miss the playoffs by default right there.

Ned was ok. Below average out of goalies with 30+ starts. Think we're kinda overhyping a hot streak and projecting it onto a full season as starter.
But at 2.5M x 2 it's not really an issue i guess.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't really see the issue with keeping Blomqvist in the AHL for another year.

It's not like Jarry isn't going to be hurt if he stays.
The larger problem is this is another move in the mold of keeping a similar but underachieving roster but paying more for it.

Like we've got the same goalie tandem as last year now, but said goalie tandem is now more expensive than it was.

Eating away at our cap space to maintain similar results is not gonna get us anywhere.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The larger problem is this is another move in the mold of keeping a similar but underachieving roster but paying more for it.

Like we've got the same goalie tandem as last year now, but said goalie tandem is now more expensive than it was.

Eating away at our cap space to maintain similar results is not gonna get us anywhere.

Be patient dog. Why would you just Kyle Dubas when the summer hasn't even started?

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Be patient dog. Why would you just Kyle Dubas when the summer hasn't even started?
Lol. But yeah, if TJ is still here in October I don't like this move.

I suspect that if he's still on the roster after July 1st that he will be here in October. Hopefully he's dealt soon.

Otherwise it's the same goalie tandem as last year but +1.5 million in cap space. Not good.

The Doobler has until July 2nd for me before this move becomes a point of concern for me

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That tweet by Jesse sums up exactly why I think they'll be trading Jarry with Nedjelkovic re-signing. Blomqvist may not be NHL ready to start next year, but they're not going to lock him in the AHL for the next 2 years when he's as close as he is. If it would have been a 1 year deal for Nedjelkovic, I'd just assume they'd run with Jarry-Nedjelkovic next year and then let Nedjelkovic walk for Blomqvist. But giving him a 2 year deal gives me a different idea, it makes me think the plan is for their tandem to be Blomqvist and Nedjelkovic at some point.

I don't know if they trade Jarry this off-season or if they wait a year, but this move makes me think he's not going to be on this team by the 2025-2026 season. If I had to make a bet, I'd say someone gets desperate and offers something of decent value for Jarry (like a replacement goalie on a 1 year deal and a 2nd) and he gets moved this off-season.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
When is the last time a team started a rookie with one year NA pro experience in an NHL tandem? There was never a chance Blomquist was starting up here.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but NHL teams treat goalie prospects like they’re fragile ancient Egyptian artifacts. Nothing like wasting 6 years to develop a guy then learning he sucks.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That tweet by Jesse sums up exactly why I think they'll be trading Jarry with Nedjelkovic re-signing. Blomqvist may not be NHL ready to start next year, but they're not going to lock him in the AHL for the next 2 years when he's as close as he is. If it would have been a 1 year deal for Nedjelkovic, I'd just assume they'd run with Jarry-Nedjelkovic next year and then let Nedjelkovic walk for Blomqvist. But giving him a 2 year deal gives me a different idea, it makes me think the plan is for their tandem to be Blomqvist and Nedjelkovic at some point.

I don't know if they trade Jarry this off-season or if they wait a year, but this move makes me think he's not going to be on this team by the 2025-2026 season. If I had to make a bet, I'd say someone gets desperate and offers something of decent value for Jarry (like a replacement goalie on a 1 year deal and a 2nd) and he gets moved this off-season.
The only fault I find with this reasoning is that what Ned wants also factors in here. He might not have been willing to accept a one year deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lol. But yeah, if TJ is still here in October I don't like this move.

I suspect that if he's still on the roster after July 1st that he will be here in October. Hopefully he's dealt soon.

Otherwise it's the same goalie tandem as last year but +1.5 million in cap space. Not good.

The Doobler has until July 2nd for me before this move becomes a point of concern for me

Good luck.

I hope he proves you right.

Reactions: Pancakes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only fault I find with this reasoning is that what Ned wants also factors in here. He might not have been willing to accept a one year deal.

Then you don't sign him in that case. I don't really see any logic in them giving Nedjelkovic multiple years if they're also acknowledging Blomqvist is good and very close to NHL ready.

This is especially true considering they signed Filip Larsson to a 2 year deal as well to be extra goalie depth.

Reactions: Pancakes

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
We miss the playoffs by default two years in row with Jarry

So f*** it, who cares. Jarry should be gone on principle
We missed the playoffs because of a 31st ranked PP and finishing, both of which have nothing to do with goaltending.
Seems like kind of a forced narrative.

I'm more interested to see what they do to fix the real problems.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When is the last time a team started a rookie with one year NA pro experience in an NHL tandem? There was never a chance Blomquist was starting up here.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but NHL teams treat goalie prospects like they’re fragile ancient Egyptian artifacts. Nothing like wasting 6 years to develop a guy then learning he sucks.

I think it's more the "for two years" part than just re-signing Nedjelkovic.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You do realize we were 13th overall in goals against and tied for 8th in save percentage in the league....our goalies were not the reason we missed the playoffs...I like the Ned signing personally
Jarry was a bottom 5 goalie in the NHL after January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad