Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
while I can't disagree isn't Babcock the highest paid coach for a reason or is that a myth?

you don't always get what you pay for.

perhaps the problem was a player who disqualified himself from the contests.

What does his pay have to do with this? You can pay him a billion dollars and it wont make Nylander score, it wont make Hyman, Gardiner, Dermott healthy. It won't make Naz unsuspended. It wont change the horrid reffing in Game 3. Babcock got this team to game 7 against the Bruins who are about to be come the SC champs, up till St Lou he was the only coach to push Boston to the limit.

I'm not saying the guy is infallible but heck if people are gonna criticize the guy at least use facts and truths to support your opinion.

Fact: Our PK sucked against Boston
Fact: Carolina's PK sucked vs Boston
Fact: St Lou's PK sucks vs Boston
Leaf fan conclusion : Babcock sucks, it's his fault.

Truth : Sometimes other teams are just elite at certain things.

There was a thread on this forum that asked before the playoffs began, what do the Leafs have to do to be successful against Boston. My answer was stay out of the box. It's not rocket surgery to see just how elite Boston is with the man advantage. You could have had Toe Blake, Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman behind our bench and the results would have been the same. Boston lives and dies with their PP and PK.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
... we take Hyman off that line his option were? Well we have Nylander... that sounds like an excellent idea put Nylander up against Bergeron - Marchment - Pasta ... yep that should go grrrreat! Oh we could put Marleau up there, he had a stellar season, right? AJ? Maybe, we take the one guy who was scoring (1G, 3A) and put him in a match up role against the perfection line... yep we neuter ourselves and create a gap on the one line that was scoring... awesome strategy there Coach. So what were Babcock's options again?

Remember a few years ago when Yzermen was playing with no knee cartilage and scored that iconic goal? Was the coach at the time wrong? Remember a few years ago when Bergeron was playing with pulled rib cartilage, was his coach wrong? It's the playoffs, people play hurt, in fact every player is dealing with some sort of injury. If the Dr says the player is good to go, who is Babcock to question the Dr? It's not Babcocks job to assess player health.

People like to say, Babcock did this and that wrong, but I have yet to see one person link a specific event to one of his poor calls. People like to think if he did it my way, the results would have been better, but hey who is ever wrong in their own fantasy.

Hey hate on Babcock because he is stubborn, hate on him because he waxes poetic about something inane, hate on him cause you don't like his face but hating on a guy because our PK sucked , when 3 out of 4 teams that faced Boston had horrid PK's too, shows the lack of critical thinking in this fan base. If 3 out of 4 teams failed, that would suggest that Boston is just that good, not that Babcock is just that bad. In simple terms , its not a bad thing to research and base your opinion on this little thing called facts but hey when has Leaf nation ever used facts in a debate?

Fact: the Leafs have made the playoffs the last 3 years, and the Leafs penalty kill has been 16 out of 16 all three year, in fact percentage wise (as i've remembered it), getting worse each year. (if i am wrong in this, i stand corrected).

--- other little fact. the last few years Babcock's playoffs teams tend to have bad penalty kills too.

Fact: the Leafs penalty kill struggled for major periods this season and no real adjustment was made. (ie: trying a centre vs. having Hyman/Brown/whatever winger doing it was eventually going to face off against Bergeron. didn't even consider once to have Tavares take the draw, haul butt back to the bench anything. (this doesn't help (to tie this to the actual Kadri discussion) that if he even wanted to consider Kadri to do it - he got his butt suspended, so oh look, he couldn't even do that).

Fact: Babcock flat out said that he'd rather play Gardiner (and ultimately Hyman) who were clearly suffering out there - then try any other option. I've also stated (many times) how I feel about players choosing to be severely injured playing, regardless if they scored iconic goals or not. the fact that he didn't even try other healthier options and let them seize the moment. (i mean. fairly they could have failed, but we failed with several completely busted players so. shrug).

Fact: all of these things i noted - were issues last year. the year before. when Babcock was in Detroit which Detroit fans, Detroit media brought up over and over again (even acknowledging some of the gains he did, ie: bringing the severely injured Wings to the playoffs that one year, or having the team really prepared (for the most part) for their opponent.

So again. no one is taking away from Boston's really great powerplay. (or at least, I am not), what's being critiqued. (apparently in Kadri's thread) - is that Babcock's decisions, and failure to adapt quickly enough (or address it early enough), hurt the team as well. not to mention. I never said (so i don't know why you quoted me) that I hate Babcock (outside of a loss or anything like that), or the powerplay was the reason why I hated him. I'm tired of him, and I think as great as a job he did to bring back respectability to the franchise - I don't know or think he's the right coach moving forward.

if you do. - great.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What does his pay have to do with this? You can pay him a billion dollars and it wont make Nylander score, it wont make Hyman, Gardiner, Dermott healthy. It won't make Naz unsuspended. It wont change the horrid reffing in Game 3. Babcock got this team to game 7 against the Bruins who are about to be come the SC champs, up till St Lou he was the only coach to push Boston to the limit.

I'm not saying the guy is infallible but heck if people are gonna criticize the guy at least use facts and truths to support your opinion.

There was a thread on this forum that asked before the playoffs began, what do the Leafs have to do to be successful against Boston. My answer was stay out of the box. It's not rocket surgery to see just how elite Boston is with the man advantage. You could have had Toe Blake, Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman behind our bench and the results would have been the same. Boston lives and dies with their PP and PK.

Can't disagree that the Bruins special team coaches look like they know what they are doing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Fact: the Leafs have made the playoffs the last 3 years, and the Leafs penalty kill has been 16 out of 16 all three year, in fact percentage wise (as i've remembered it), getting worse each year. (if i am wrong in this, i stand corrected).

--- other little fact. the last few years Babcock's playoffs teams tend to have bad penalty kills too.

Fact: the Leafs penalty kill struggled for major periods this season and no real adjustment was made. (ie: trying a centre vs. having Hyman/Brown/whatever winger doing it was eventually going to face off against Bergeron. didn't even consider once to have Tavares take the draw, haul butt back to the bench anything. (this doesn't help (to tie this to the actual Kadri discussion) that if he even wanted to consider Kadri to do it - he got his butt suspended, so oh look, he couldn't even do that).

Fact: Babcock flat out said that he'd rather play Gardiner (and ultimately Hyman) who were clearly suffering out there - then try any other option. I've also stated (many times) how I feel about players choosing to be severely injured playing, regardless if they scored iconic goals or not. the fact that he didn't even try other healthier options and let them seize the moment. (i mean. fairly they could have failed, but we failed with several completely busted players so. shrug).

Fact: all of these things i noted - were issues last year. the year before. when Babcock was in Detroit which Detroit fans, Detroit media brought up over and over again (even acknowledging some of the gains he did, ie: bringing the severely injured Wings to the playoffs that one year, or having the team really prepared (for the most part) for their opponent.

So again. no one is taking away from Boston's really great powerplay. (or at least, I am not), what's being critiqued. (apparently in Kadri's thread) - is that Babcock's decisions, and failure to adapt quickly enough (or address it early enough), hurt the team as well. not to mention. I never said (so i don't know why you quoted me) that I hate Babcock (outside of a loss or anything like that), or the powerplay was the reason why I hated him. I'm tired of him, and I think as great as a job he did to bring back respectability to the franchise - I don't know or think he's the right coach moving forward.

if you do. - great.

Lots of truth here IMO.

Can't disagree that the Bruins special team coaches look like they know what they are doing.

This too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
but it's okay, apparently because just like how Kadri will learn not to get suspended next year, Babcock will learn how to adjust more quickly. #winning.

Kadri's been suspended in the playoffs 2 years in a row so there's a real risk here. Having said that, I'd still say the chances he does it again next season realistically aren't that great. If I had to put a number on it I'd have to think about for a while (handicapping is hard) but I'd start thinking in the 10% range. That's still like really high, way higher than it is for almost every other player in the league but still, taking that chance isn't the worst thing.

The odds of Babcock still being the same stubborn ego that he's been on the other hand, I'd put those at well above 90%. I hope I'm wrong but there it is.

And the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to be OK with Kadri still being here next season. I'm absolutely open to a trade and if Babcock is going to use him the same way going forward I might even hope for a trade but if a really good deal doesn't present itself, I'm willing to grit my teeth and give him another chance. I still say they just have to get him some help with anger management and I'd be nervous as hell when the playoffs start but still, I don't want us to shop him around like we really need to ditch him. That's a sure fire way to get a crappy return and we're already in that position with Marleau and Zaitsev.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
but it's okay, apparently because just like how Kadri will learn not to get suspended next year, Babcock will learn how to adjust more quickly. #winning.

to me babcock is just far too reactionary instead of forcing the other teams coaches to react to his plans, his line matching to a fault has cost us games this year and it is cutting ice time from Matthews, JT, Marner and to a lesser extent this past season Nylander (because he didn't really deserve more mins, but in previous years he did). To me the best coach in the game should be the one every other coach is forced to line match against and react against.

He doesn't adjust quickly enough or at all sometimes, almost feels like an arrogance thing kind of like "well im a great coach so if this game plan isn't working then its the team so im not changing it".

Id put money on shanny and dubas telling him if they don't see this next season and we don't have significant improvement then the only option will be to relieve him of his duties.

Of course he cant help Kadri being an idiot, and hyman getting injured etc but once they did everything stayed the same no adjustments made

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

if you do. - great.

Which is entirely a strawman argument when you ignore the question I asked you multiple times... what are his options? What you are suggesting is that Babcock had better options that he could of leveraged but because he is a dufus he decided, nope I'm gonna pick this option which is clearly a poorer option.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

What you fail to understand is the effect of yanking players around at the drop of a hat when ever times are tough. You're suggesting that the fact Babcock provides a stable environment that is a bad thing? What you want is for Babcok to panic every time something goes sideways. #stability #winner #3seasonsinarowabove100points #tunnelvisionfans #arrogance #ignorance

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Which is entirely a strawman argument when you ignore the question I asked you multiple times... what are his options? What you are suggesting is that Babcock had better options that he could of leveraged but because he is a dufus he decided, nope I'm gonna pick this option which is clearly a poorer option.

option 1: a player on the PK who isn't carrying a leg injury? Ok they didn't know he had torn his leg but he was clearly struggling.
option 2: a centre on the PK to take a draw because Brown, Hyman, Marner were not winning draws (form memory here correct me if im wrong on that) JT
option 3" after a PK make a loaded line instead of the same old lines over and over again
option 4: unrelated to the PK but the season is on the line Patrick marleau isn't going to save us, nor a 1 legged hyman

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What you fail to understand is the effect of yanking players around at the drop of a hat when ever times are tough. You're suggesting that the fact Babcock provides a stable environment that is a bad thing? What you want is for Babcok to panic every time something goes sideways. #stability #winner #3seasonsinarowabove100points #tunnelvisionfans #arrogance #ignorance

pastarnak moved onto 3 different lines for the bruins in that series, including in one game being on multiple lines

Reactions: weems

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
pastarnak moved onto 3 different lines for the bruins in that series, including in one game being on multiple lines

Backes was in the press-box and then utilized
Babcock kept Brown and PM on the third line despite Moore and Ennis playing much better
Season on the line and elite coach has PM out there and AM on the bench

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Kadri's been suspended in the playoffs 2 years in a row so there's a real risk here. Having said that, I'd still say the chances he does it again next season realistically aren't that great. If I had to put a number on it I'd have to think about for a while (handicapping is hard) but I'd start thinking in the 10% range. That's still like really high, way higher than it is for almost every other player in the league but still, taking that chance isn't the worst thing.

The odds of Babcock still being the same stubborn ego that he's been on the other hand, I'd put those at well above 90%. I hope I'm wrong but there it is.

And the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to be OK with Kadri still being here next season. I'm absolutely open to a trade and if Babcock is going to use him the same way going forward I might even hope for a trade but if a really good deal doesn't present itself, I'm willing to grit my teeth and give him another chance. I still say they just have to get him some help with anger management and I'd be nervous as hell when the playoffs start but still, I don't want us to shop him around like we really need to ditch him. That's a sure fire way to get a crappy return and we're already in that position with Marleau and Zaitsev.
The issue is Kadri is great when he plays dirty but he's already got like 4 suspensions so anything he does will be aggressively scrutinized. For this to work Kadri has to stop playing dirty and that's what the leafs don't need right now

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Not really, what "reactionary" means is worrying about the other teams game instead of playing our game. For example, Matthews was absolutely on fire and Babs was to worried about line matching which limits his ice time. When we had home ice and the opportunity to get our top lines against their 4th he always put out our 4th, how many times did Boston score against our 4th because they did exactly this, they did it twice in 1 game. Instead of putting Marner with matthews in the last minute of a period he made that adjustment when there was only 10 seconds left. Not double shifting Matthews, ever. All his decisions were reactionary to Boston's decisions. Boston's made adjustments game to game in every series. They moved Pasta from the best line in hockey to the 3rd, that's like us moving Marner to Nylanders line, speaking about doing that is absolute blasphemy to Babs. Name a single adjustment babcock made?

He needs to trust the team more and have a mentality of "We will punish them" instead of "Boston will punish us if we take the risk"

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

1: try using Kadri.
if you can trust using him to shut down units why not have him on the penalty kill?
(this negates the fact that Kadri got suspended).

2: Try using Tavares (or train matthews to be a good PKer. even if we lose - which we did, it can put him into more of a better two-way player which he wants to be)
take the draw and get back to the bench.

3: use healthier people
you know, Rosen, Petan?

4: try anything else
if you suck at it - why not try something else. try anything else. at least if you tried it and it sucked you can legitmately say "hey you know. our penalty kill was kinda awful all year, we tried everything, every combo at our disposal, we mixed it up all the time, and it still burned our biscuit - now it's Dubas's play to get us something more dedicated to the penalty kill, and/or fire the PK guy and get something else."

It's not a strawman argument when you say "use facts." and I'm telling you that basically from his time from Detroit there were serious issues that arose in the playoffs with those teams which are evident here. - some that got negated when he got a younger/healthier/more talented team (especially this year) but still faced the same issues he's been facing 7 out of what?9-10? first round matches? Being reactionary, having poor playoff speciality teams. not adjusting fast enough. not getting out of the first round. and you just want to make this about Boston's powerplay making everyone looking stupid.

TWO YEARS IN A ROW Boston flat out said from coach to player said "We were surprised that we kept doing X, and they didn't change." on a multitude of things. this year Leaf fans say "um yeah, Babcock why you not try anything a little bit different, even if it doesn't work, you've tried it.." Babcock goes "well i'm in the winning business." doesn't really do a lot of things (some - that'd admittedly was taken out of his hands because of Kadri's suspension and Nylander not playing very well, but then playing the injured players more than the healthier ones) and you're telling me my argument is a strawman when the argument literally:

TRY SOMETHING ELSE and/or DON'T BE REACTIONARY MOST OF THE TIME.

I never said the something else would have been better or we would have won - but he didn't even try - not to mention that two times when we had a chance to press (like we had complete domination, he pulls the goalie way too early, we don't have possession, and poof. game is ov-er. that's on him.

I even said that some of the options was because Kadri was suspended. I never said Babcock was a dufus or anything else that you're implying. But just like Kadri a good chunk of why we lost was due to the coaching staff, which is Babcock's territory. and a lot of the issues that were compounded in the first round (again) wasn't rectified in the regular season. (again). and by the time he did make a change it was way too late.

If you don't believe this. then fine. that's your prerogative.
If you think i'm wrong then fine. it's simply just my opinion after all.
but don't say i am a strawman for stating something that everyone (including Boston) keeps saying "why if we are doing the same things, the Leafs aren't doing anything to change." and just put it on Leaf fans thinking they know better or their way is better, which isn't even the case at all. it might not even be better but you won't know until you try (and practice), and Babcock didn't do it. again.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Backes was in the press-box and then utilized
Babcock kept Brown and PM on the third line despite Moore and Ennis playing much better
Season on the line and elite coach has PM out there and AM on the bench

Matthews is on fire and instead of double shifting him, Babcock is managing minutes, and putting on the 4th line and Cassidy is like "Lol, Okay." and puts out a line that can burn them. ALL the time.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I have a pretty good gut instinct, and as soon as I saw Kadri marrying his very hot wife, I thought to myself, I think this guy will decline quite substantially now.

Not in lifestyle, but he might just become a lot less interested in practise and training.

I loved that he shared his marriage and cool Lebanese music, with us fans.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

oh i'm sorry. coaches aren't expected to do in game adjustments?
Coaches do it all the the time, but Leaf fans tunnel vision, are ignorant and arrogant according to you. good to know

When Boston as a team, a coaching staff, a fan base, and a media are asking "Why if Boston does X, Toronto still continues to do Y, and Boston can still capitalize on it." it's not just a Leaf fan thing.

and when you follow the trend and realise it's been an issue since Detroit. then it's more than "Oh look leaf fans can't be happy about having 100 point seasons arrogant, ignorant fanbase."

and just so we're clear.
I want the Leafs to win a cup. I give zero poops if they have 20 seasons at over 100 points it means nothing if the coach can't get them out of the first round . I'd rather a coach who gets the leafs say, 99 points, and can adjust in game then have a coach that gets them 110, and won't use their star centre who is on fire on a game more than 16 minutes because he's still managing ice time, and then puts out Brown/Marleau to try the win the game. if that makes me arrogant, ignorant and have tunnel vision. then fine.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matthews is on fire and instead of double shifting him, Babcock is managing minutes, and putting on the 4th line and Cassidy is like "Lol, Okay." and puts out a line that can burn them. ALL the time.

This post needs to be stickied in a couple threads on here lol

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

I believe Boston has benifted from two things this playoffs.1 the refs 2 they have this ability to take advantage of EVERY break they get, they also turn nothing plays into goal's.

Evertime we scored, they scored, every penalty they scored. They would coast for 15 to 20 min, get a Break and boom. Pretty amazing tbh

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I have a pretty good gut instinct, and as soon as I saw Kadri marrying his very hot wife, I thought to myself, I think this guy will decline quite substantially now.

Not in lifestyle, but he might just become a lot less interested in practise and training.

I loved that he shared his marriage and cool Lebanese music, with us fans.
Either that or the honeymoon and first few months see an increase in cardio training making him come to camp with exceptional endurance.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
oh i'm sorry. coaches aren't expected to do in game adjustments?
Coaches do it all the the time, but Leaf fans tunnel vision, are ignorant and arrogant according to you. good to know

When Boston as a team, a coaching staff, a fan base, and a media are asking "Why if Boston does X, Toronto still continues to do Y, and Boston can still capitalize on it." it's not just a Leaf fan thing.

and when you follow the trend and realise it's been an issue since Detroit. then it's more than "Oh look leaf fans can't be happy about having 100 point seasons arrogant, ignorant fanbase."

and just so we're clear.
I want the Leafs to win a cup. I give zero poops if they have 20 seasons at over 100 points it means nothing if the coach can't get them out of the first round . I'd rather a coach who gets the leafs say, 99 points, and can adjust in game then have a coach that gets them 110, and won't use their star centre who is on fire on a game more than 16 minutes because he's still managing ice time, and then puts out Brown/Marleau to try the win the game. if that makes me arrogant, ignorant and have tunnel vision. then fine.

LOL, Babcock does not do in game adjustments? Probably one of the more fictitious "takes" we see on this board. Like the KGB says, if you say something that is factually not accurate enough times people will eventually believe it to be true. Good job Comrade.

So the LEAGUE has had NINE MONTHS to adjust to this fantastic Boston coaching staff and their PP and not a single coach has come up with an answer but your response is I'm tired of Babcock so lets fire him. Not Hey Boston has ELITE PP players, full story, stop.

Give me an example of an in game failure to adjust by Babcock that cost us a game.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
LOL, Babcock does not do in game adjustments? Probably one of the more fictitious "takes" we see on this board. Like the KGB says, if you say something that is factually not accurate enough times people will eventually believe it to be true. Good job Comrade.

So the LEAGUE has had NINE MONTHS to adjust to this fantastic Boston coaching staff and their PP and not a single coach has come up with an answer but your response is I'm tired of Babcock so lets fire him. Not Hey Boston has ELITE PP players, full story, stop.

Give me an example of an in game failure to adjust by Babcock that cost us a game.

Hyman taking faceoffs on one leg against Bergeron and going 20% on them.

Wow it's almost like giving Boston free possession on almost every PP isn't a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad