Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I am someone who definitely blames Babcock more for being put out in the first round.

Special teams were awful and some of the coaching decisions were just plain stupid.

But there is absolutely blame to go around to everyone involved in the team (management, coaching, players etc.).

You win as a team and organization and you lose the same way.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Babcock’s playoff record the past 10 years is more concerning than his personality.

In the last 10 yeas 10 HC have won a cup, so that means every coach who does not win a cup should be flogged at city hall?

We have some elite players but this team, is by no means an elite team. We need more than five players carrying this team. the 3rd and 4th line on this team are woefully inadequate, once we get past Rielly the defence is a dog's breakfast and we have a elite goalie who is forced to play far too many games because our back up is AHL level at best.

Yes Babcock has been the HC of these teams that have had a poor playoff record but look at the dogs those teams he has had to coach.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It was in the news as well. Found this after a bit of searching:

There were multiple sources that quoted it but that's the best I can do.

Edit: Here's Sportsnet saying it (quoting the same Tweet):

Maple Leafs' Mike Babcock facing lots of questions after another early exit - Sportsnet.ca

So Matt Porter (who?) reported a rumor? Awesome, the bar for what is fact and fiction is set pretty low eh? and that Sportsnet net article does not quote a single Boston player ... so the rumor that is circulating in the "Hate Babcock" camp, that the Boston players are quoted as saying they were surprised Babcock didn't adjust... remains a made up story. WOW confirmation bias runs strong in Leaf Nation, people maybe next time before you get suckered into click bait, actually do some homework to validate the BS you spread around.

Here is a rumor, Bruce Cassidy said that he was surprised that his team actually beat the Leafs because Mike Babcock is an elite tactician, who is extremely agile and changes his game plan frequently through the game to mitigate the other teams in game adjustments. I can't find the quote but you can believe me because ya know...low bar.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The only thing Babcock has proven is that he can fill out a lineup card for all world teams, and that he won only one cup with the best D-man of this generation.

I think Kadri and some assets may be packaged for a partner for Rielly. His name is out there....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
In the last 10 yeas 10 HC have won a cup, so that means every coach who does not win a cup could be flogged at city hall?

We have some elite players but this team, is by no means an elite team. We need more than five players carrying this team. the 3rd and 4th line on this team are woefully inadequate, once we get past Rielly the defence is a dog's breakfast and we have a elite goalie who is forced to play far too many games because our back up is AHL level at best.

Yes Babcock has been the HC of these teams that have had a poor playoff record but look at the dogs those teams he has had to coach.

The team is not even close to elite and the way it’s built will likely not be a serious Cup contender for awhile.

Still they should be in playoff contention every year and occasionally win a round. That’s measuring stick.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The only thing Babcock has proven is that he can fill out a lineup card for all world teams, and that he won only one cup with the best D-man of this generation.

I think Kadri and some assets may be packaged for a partner for Rielly. His name is out there....

and 100 points 3 seasons in a row with a very young and inexperienced team....but yeah lets ignore facts... and continue with baseless hot takes.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
and 100 points 3 seasons in a row with a very young and inexperienced team....but yeah lets ignore facts... and continue with baseless hot takes.
No one else could have coached this team to better results than him? Now that's an epic hot take.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
No one else could have coached this team to better results than him? Now that's an epic hot take.
Could? Wouldn’t that just be a theory?

What better coaches are available?

Don’t you see the 1 top pairing D man as being a lot bigger issue?

Don’t you think he should be given a chance with a real contending roster before being discarded?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Maybe part of those 100 point seasons is the crazy amount of talent he has on the team he coaches.

Saying Babcock is the sole reason for those 100 point seasons is silly.

This team is nowhere near as bad as you are saying and Babcock is nowhere near as bad as others are posting.

Can't we as fans just have a team that we are somewhat happy with ?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Could have another coach done better with a defence that is garbage after Rielly, sparse after the big 3 forwards and a tired goalie? A team that is basically a 3 player forward Marner, Tavares and Matthews, one dman Rielly and one goalie Andersen, I'm sure just about any coach could have taken that hot mess after those 5 players and made us a cup champion, easy cheesy. Sureeeee...

I forgot this is the Toronto Maple Leaf fan base, we are always looking past the girl we brought to the prom, checking our her friends thinking..I wonder if they are better ?

keep-him-interested.jpg

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Maybe part of those 100 point seasons is the crazy amount of talent he has on the team he coaches.

Saying Babcock is the sole reason for those 100 point seasons is silly.

This team is nowhere near as bad as you are saying and Babcock is nowhere near as bad as others are posting.

Can't we as fans just have a team that we are somewhat happy with ?

That's fair but in an effort to point out how silly it is to put all the blame on Babcock, I'm being intentionally myopic to make a point.

Win as a team, lose as a team.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hope this is wrong info. But there is a rumor floating around that Jets trade him to Leafs at draft for Kadri, Lily and Leafs 1st rounder in 2020. This assumes we unload Marleau back out west as Trouba looking for 8-9M per. I love Trouba exactly what we need but sounds a little steep. Jets looking to solve their CAP issues and they want to solid #2 centre back and younger mobile help in future on back end. Technically might work for all parties.

Gives us a top end 1st pair in Rielly and Trouba
Then move up Dermott to play with Muzzy (Travis played RHD for many years)

Transaction cost for a potential #1 Dman is very high.

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
I hope this is wrong info. But there is a rumor floating around that Jets trade him to Leafs at draft for Kadri, Lily and Leafs 1st rounder in 2020. This assumes we unload Marleau back out west as Trouba looking for 8-9M per. I love Trouba exactly what we need but sounds a little steep. Jets looking to solve their CAP issues and they want to solid #2 centre back and younger mobile help in future on back end. Technically might work for all parties.

Winnipeg is on Kadri’s no-trade list. Unless he has made some changes, he is not going to the Jets.

eta: but I agree here with you— that’s a lot to give up for one player, even though Trouba is a good defenseman.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

That seems like a gross over payment.

Reactions: CelticDruid

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I hope that is wrong too. Very steep price.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
My head is spinning .

What came first ? The winning roster...? Or the winning coach?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
LOL, sure you "never" said that you were tired of him (except you did) and you said he's not the right coach moving forward, but you don't endorse firing him, OK? So I guess you think he's the wrong coach but you endorse keeping him employed? That makes all the logical sense in the world.... Errrr... ummm?

I guess you support bringing him out to a nice Coaches farm in the country where old coaches frolic in the field all day but are not fired... keep up little flower, we don't fire coaches for doing a great job...maybe Leaf Nation does but elite franchises don't.. #stability.

Usually, depending on if we did well or not, I am generally tired of a good handful of people. That's never changed. I personally think after a few years of the same issues that are under Babcock's purview - I don't think he's the right coach. Factors you constantly want to dismiss. That's fine. that's your prerogative.

Outside of what happened in game seven or whatever (where, I will add, I usually go. i get i'm emotional, etc etc etc) - I never said he needed to be fired by training camp or anything like that. I simply feel that he's no longer the best coach for this team moving forward. The good things that he does (things I've constantly given him credit for),I personally don't feel outweigh the negative things that is continually cropping up. If those change/gets corrected. great. I can change my mind. - i love it when the team/management can prove me wrong. Yeah. including Kadri. (however. with Kadri, because of the nature of his messups, I don't know if it's wise continually hope that he'll change, and he's of great value as an asset if we trade him. hence why i would move him out).

Only thing remotely i've ever said was that when Q was available, I would have fired Babcock yesterday to hire Q (and I've been saying that since like Pat Quinn was around, because I like Joel Quennville that much). and since i don't know what coach out there would be great (at the moment) who is available. it's why i'm not banging the drum saying "Fire Babcock." you - however keep insisting that I do. so whatever. you keep believing that and whatever else you want to.

If you truly don't think if the Leafs don't get out of the first round next season and there won't be a huge magnifying glass on Babcocks actions, that's fine. You are entitled to that opinion. I don't agree with it. cool.

Elite franchises don't fire coaches for doing a good job, like ever (which. oh, okay that's never. ever. happened ever).

all i am asking at this moment is stop. quoting me regarding this because I am trying very hard to be polite. and how you respond to each and every time is making it very, very hard. and i'd really actually don't want to block you. so. let's just say. you think Babcock is awesome and there is no issues on his part, I do not, and leave it at that.

Reactions: kb

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
That's fair but in an effort to point out how silly it is to put all the blame on Babcock, I'm being intentionally myopic to make a point.

Win as a team, lose as a team.
:laugh: you’ve done well, I’m just not allowed to ‘like’ anyone right now.

I don’t think Babcock has any blind supporters. He’s not without fault and he can definitely be stubborn... but none of that is what’s holding the team back right now. They’re missing a key piece on the blueline and they don’t have enough grit. Until that gets addressed you cannot blame Babcock.

When Nikita Zaitsev and Ron Hainsey are your best PK defenseman, a game 7 loss to the Bruins ain’t bad when you look at their PP.. He almost pulled off the upset and you guys are still bitching? :laugh: It’s so silly.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Usually, depending on if we did well or not, I am generally tired of a good handful of people. That's never changed. I personally think after a few years of the same issues that are under Babcock's purview - I don't think he's the right coach. Factors you constantly want to dismiss. That's fine. that's your prerogative.

Outside of what happened in game seven or whatever (where, I will add, I usually go. i get i'm emotional, etc etc etc) - I never said he needed to be fired by training camp or anything like that. I simply feel that he's no longer the best coach for this team moving forward. The good things that he does (things I've constantly given him credit for),I personally don't feel outweigh the negative things that is continually cropping up. If those change/gets corrected. great. I can change my mind. - i love it when the team/management can prove me wrong. Yeah. including Kadri. (however. with Kadri, because of the nature of his messups, I don't know if it's wise continually hope that he'll change, and he's of great value as an asset if we trade him. hence why i would move him out).

Only thing remotely i've ever said was that when Q was available, I would have fired Babcock yesterday to hire Q (and I've been saying that since like Pat Quinn was around, because I like Joel Quennville that much). and since i don't know what coach out there would be great (at the moment) who is available. it's why i'm not banging the drum saying "Fire Babcock." you - however keep insisting that I do. so whatever. you keep believing that and whatever else you want to.

If you truly don't think if the Leafs don't get out of the first round next season and there won't be a huge magnifying glass on Babcocks actions, that's fine. You are entitled to that opinion. I don't agree with it. cool.

Elite franchises don't fire coaches for doing a good job, like ever (which. oh, okay that's never. ever. happened ever).

all i am asking at this moment is stop. quoting me regarding this because I am trying very hard to be polite. and how you respond to each and every time is making it very, very hard. and i'd really actually don't want to block you. so. let's just say. you think Babcock is awesome and there is no issues on his part, I do not, and leave it at that.
Yeah, I don't understand why it's soooooo upsetting to this poster that we have a difference of opinion, to the point where apparently we are not allowed to have this opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad