Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's the frame, maybe some contract coming back, picks here and there but they need to kickstart for fickle LA fans.

That "frame" will never get it done.LA probably asks for something like Nylander+Kapanen and then maybe Z to balance out the contracts.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That "frame" will never get it done.LA probably asks for something like Nylander+Kapanen and then maybe Z to balance out the contracts.

That's pretty similar. Kadri is on a better deal and is a C. Nylander is overpaid coming off a pretty rotten season, not sure how much cap flex they have, but they NEED a competitive team in that market.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's pretty similar. Kadri is on a better deal and is a C. Nylander is overpaid coming off a pretty rotten season, not sure how much cap flex they have, but they NEED a competitive team in that market.

Nylander is similar to Kadri, Marleau and a 2nd? Sure, if you say so. :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri, Dermott/Kappy, Z, Marleau and 2nd. You can't omit half of what I said lol.

1)
What I omitted were the parts that were in both proposals. The parts that were different were like I said:
Nylander vs Kadri, Marleau and a 2nd.

2)
Dermott wasn't even mentioned in your proposal or mine so WTF are you talking about now?

Do try to pay attention, thanks.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why can't guys like you ever just say "Thanks man, there totally was evidence about XYZ"?

I have no time for you whatsoever.

... because gossip without context is not proof, its gossip with out context. The dirt low standard of what we willfully accept as truth boggles my mind. Like I said, quote the player and reference his name directly along with the question that was asked to get that response. Otherwise it's garbage.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
1)
What I omitted were the parts that were in both proposals. The parts that were different were like I said:
Nylander vs Kadri, Marleau and a 2nd.

2)
Dermott wasn't even mentioned in your proposal or mine so WTF are you talking about now?

Do try to pay attention, thanks.

Ok whatever #1 is a misleading way to go about it but it's fine. Dermott was mentioned in the trade thread, forgot to put him in.

Bottom line, LA need a hero team or else they become Zeros in the public eye. It's the Cali way.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok whatever #1 is a misleading way to go about it but it's fine. Dermott was mentioned in the trade thread, forgot to put him in.

Bottom line, LA need a hero team or else they become Zeros in the public eye. It's the Cali way.

LOL.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I dunno man. I watched it again a few days ago and crosschecking someone in the face is pretty brutal. I'm not going to get into the hit on Marleau as it really doesn't matter who deserved what, if you take the law into your hands you're gonna get punished so the smart thing to do is to use your fists, not your stick. And if you really must use your stick then make sure it stays below the shoulders and whatever you do, don't crosscheck someone in the face. JMHO.

I can respect that statement, and I do agree he should have fought him, I do think the suspension was a load of horse manure though lol

Reactions: Koolboss

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That's pretty simplistic. Age and upside are major factors.

They really aren't. Do we have a winger problem? Nope. We have only 3 legit NHL C's though. Kadri's age is not an issue presently so you are talking about years from now. Upside, yeah maybe. I'm not sure how you know his is any higher than Kadri's

Favoring the inferior, more expensive player, in the easiest position to get, because he is younger is very HF of you but not all that NHL.

Sorry not seeing any rational reasons here to make our team worse.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I can respect that statement, and I do agree he should have fought him, I do think the suspension was a load of horse manure though lol

Whatever, it doesn't really matter. When you've been suspended as many times as Kadri has, you're never going to get the benefit of the doubt and you won't be able to fly under the radar so you just have to smarten up or understand that you will keep getting suspended, end of story.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Whatever, it doesn't really matter. When you've been suspended as many times as Kadri has, you're never going to get the benefit of the doubt and you won't be able to fly under the radar so you just have to smarten up or understand that you will keep getting suspended, end of story.

What you're saying is true. But if we compare him to Brad then it's not applied equally

Going into the playoffs Brad had 6 suspensions to Kadri's 4. And 7 billion people on the planet know how dirty Brad is

Kadri got suspended for an act he committed in a game were hardly anything else was being called

Brad got a 2 minute penalty for a similar cross check to the face that dropped a player. Some how he keeps flying under the radar.

That said Kadri should learn that he plays under a different rule book and should smarten up.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What you're saying is true. But if we compare him to Brad then it's not applied equally

Going into the playoffs Brad had 6 suspensions to Kadri's 4. And 7 billion people on the planet know how dirty Brad is

Kadri got suspended for an act he committed in a game were hardly anything else was being called

Brad got a 2 minute penalty for a similar cross check to the face that dropped a player. Some how he keeps flying under the radar.

That said Kadri should learn that he plays under a different rule book and should smarten up.
Marchand has Jacobs behind scenes standing up for him. Like it or not the league is not setup to be fair. Jacobs is Bettman's boss.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
They really aren't. Do we have a winger problem? Nope. We have only 3 legit NHL C's though. Kadri's age is not an issue presently so you are talking about years from now. Upside, yeah maybe. I'm not sure how you know his is any higher than Kadri's

Favoring the inferior, more expensive player, in the easiest position to get, because he is younger is very HF of you but not all that NHL.

Sorry not seeing any rational reasons here to make our team worse.
Kadris contract certainly holds more value but that value would translate into a greater trade return as well. Kadri is currently in a role where his skills are not able to be fully utilized because of the offensive minutes that need to go to our top 2. It might make sense that the 3c spot is filled by a lesser player if kadri can earn us a RHD upgrade.

And no favoring the younger player with more upside is very NHL, just not old school NHL. In the cap era you need to get value from assets before they decline.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This may all be true but it really doesn't matter, Kadri needs to focus on himself and like you say - smarten up.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Kadris contract certainly holds more value but that value would translate into a greater trade return as well. Kadri is currently in a role where his skills are not able to be fully utilized because of the offensive minutes that need to go to our top 2. It might make sense that the 3c spot is filled by a lesser player if kadri can earn us a RHD upgrade.

And no favoring the younger player with more upside is very NHL, just not old school NHL. In the cap era you need to get value from assets before they decline.
You keep making up this upside thing like its a fact when really its your empty opinion.

I think everything you just wrote ignores that we are a cup contender. Having a #2 C as our 3 means we have depth, injury insurance, and a massive match up advantage. While I agree it might make sense to move him for a D trading Nylander for a D makes much more. Trade return is also pretty irrelevant. It's like buying a hotdog with a rare collectors item 5 dollar bill because you don't realize they will also take your loonies and toonies.

Bottom line is you take Kadri off the Roster vs Nylander losing Kadri is a much bigger loss to the team on the ice. Contenders ice the best team they can, not make it worse because of petty anger or an age fetish. McBackup should have shut that silly philosophy down but HF is by it's nature youth obsessed. Add their Cap hit difference and this debate is just silly.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
You keep making up this upside thing like its a fact when really its your empty opinion.

I think everything you just wrote ignores that we are a cup contender. Having a #2 C as our 3 means we have depth, injury insurance, and a massive match up advantage. While I agree it might make sense to move him for a D trading Nylander for a D makes much more. Trade return is also pretty irrelevant. It's like buying a hotdog with a rare collectors item 5 dollar bill because you don't realize they will also take your loonies and toonies.

Bottom line is you take Kadri off the Roster vs Nylander losing Kadri is a much bigger loss to the team on the ice. Contenders ice the best team they can, not make it worse because of petty anger or an age fetish. McBackup should have shut that silly philosophy down but HF is by it's nature youth obsessed. Add their Cap hit difference and this debate is just silly.

You're not listening to what I'm trying to say, so I'm not going to keep going back an forth... Calling Kadri this rare item while dismissing Nylander clearly shows your bias on Willy...

Either way, I think that downgrading our #2 RW will have a greater impact on our team than downgrading our #3C. IMO the skill we require in the #3C spot is easier to replace than the talent I see in Nylander as a playmaking winger for Matthews. On top of that, the trade market for a #2C on a value contract will be greater than a freshly signed RW coming off a bad year. It's a difference of opinion...

Having said that, it would suck to lose either one and would be purely dependent on the return we could get.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
You only think that because it is your position. In a 10 year career he has about 10 seconds worth of playoff game costing brain farts. So you think it is logical to pretend that 10 seconds is his likely behavior.

You might want to look up the word logic.

Now an emotional response is this: "I hate Kadri and he cost us playoff games so we should trade him because he is always going to do this and cost us the cup. We should ruin our cap and keep worse deals so that all the world knows of his heinous crimes..... " comes off a little as a tantrum dude.

Give me a break. Myself and a pile of other fans agree it’s time to move on. You need put the team ahead of the player. You have the right to you’re opinion and I will stick to mine. Sometimes an organization leads by example and that can be with player negotiations to how they want to build a team and expect from each player. Kadri puts himself before the team. It’s clear he took revenge for the knee on knee so don’t use the “he was sticking up for teammate excuse”. Also I think if he could control his temper he would be a perfect player here.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Having said that, it would suck to lose either one and would be purely dependent on the return we could get.

This is as always, 100% correct.

It seems like many people every year think OK I don't like these 3-4-5 guys so let's trade them and the same thing over again every year. It just doesn't work that way like I might prefer Marner to Kadri but if I had to choose between the two it would all depend on what the return would be. And that's why statements like this:

Give me a break. Myself and a pile of other fans agree it’s time to move on.

are just wrong. You might want to "move on" but if it means losing the trade then what happens is that the team gets worse which directly contradicts this statement:

You need put the team ahead of the player.

This is the dumbest argument ever and I just roll my eyes every time someone says this. We all care about the team first, you saying that you do while someone else doesn't is just ... noise. And when you say it's time to "move on" from any player, you're putting your dislike of a player above what's good for the team so think about that for a little bit.

Reactions: Zizzzzy and willmma

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad