Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
1: try using Kadri.
if you can trust using him to shut down units why not have him on the penalty kill?
(this negates the fact that Kadri got suspended).

2: Try using Tavares (or train matthews to be a good PKer. even if we lose - which we did, it can put him into more of a better two-way player which he wants to be)
take the draw and get back to the bench.

3: use healthier people
you know, Rosen, Petan?

4: try anything else
if you suck at it - why not try something else. try anything else. at least if you tried it and it sucked you can legitmately say "hey you know. our penalty kill was kinda awful all year, we tried everything, every combo at our disposal, we mixed it up all the time, and it still burned our biscuit - now it's Dubas's play to get us something more dedicated to the penalty kill, and/or fire the PK guy and get something else."

It's not a strawman argument when you say "use facts." and I'm telling you that basically from his time from Detroit there were serious issues that arose in the playoffs with those teams which are evident here. - some that got negated when he got a younger/healthier/more talented team (especially this year) but still faced the same issues he's been facing 7 out of what?9-10? first round matches? Being reactionary, having poor playoff speciality teams. not adjusting fast enough. not getting out of the first round. and you just want to make this about Boston's powerplay making everyone looking stupid.

TWO YEARS IN A ROW Boston flat out said from coach to player said "We were surprised that we kept doing X, and they didn't change." on a multitude of things. this year Leaf fans say "um yeah, Babcock why you not try anything a little bit different, even if it doesn't work, you've tried it.." Babcock goes "well i'm in the winning business." doesn't really do a lot of things (some - that'd admittedly was taken out of his hands because of Kadri's suspension and Nylander not playing very well, but then playing the injured players more than the healthier ones) and you're telling me my argument is a strawman when the argument literally:

TRY SOMETHING ELSE and/or DON'T BE REACTIONARY MOST OF THE TIME.

I never said the something else would have been better or we would have won - but he didn't even try - not to mention that two times when we had a chance to press (like we had complete domination, he pulls the goalie way too early, we don't have possession, and poof. game is ov-er. that's on him.

I even said that some of the options was because Kadri was suspended. I never said Babcock was a dufus or anything else that you're implying. But just like Kadri a good chunk of why we lost was due to the coaching staff, which is Babcock's territory. and a lot of the issues that were compounded in the first round (again) wasn't rectified in the regular season. (again). and by the time he did make a change it was way too late.

If you don't believe this. then fine. that's your prerogative.
If you think i'm wrong then fine. it's simply just my opinion after all.
but don't say i am a strawman for stating something that everyone (including Boston) keeps saying "why if we are doing the same things, the Leafs aren't doing anything to change." and just put it on Leaf fans thinking they know better or their way is better, which isn't even the case at all. it might not even be better but you won't know until you try (and practice), and Babcock didn't do it. again.

So to frame this answer I've said playoffs multiple times in previous posts to you, you reply use Kadri as an option on the PK. How do you do that exactly when he is SUSPENDED? Kadri is not good defensivly, he is good as a match up center, two totally different skillset's. See what I mean by strawman? You attempt to refute my statement by suggesting an option for Babcock is to do something that is simply impossible.

Sure lets put our two best centers out on the PK and let the other teams fire pucks at them from the point ... wonderful idea ... for the record Marner shouldn't be out there either. It would accomplish one thing for sure, we would have the leagues most expensive IR.

So we can have your chicken little approach, throw the baby out with the bath water and time you think we are in trouble orrrrr we can take the route of steady as she goes. Hurry Jake you are LW.... Mitch you are left defence... Anderson..we need you at center... Matthews put the pads on ...you are in net.... hurry we have to placate angry knowledge challenged fans... HURRY.. they might write another mean post about me.... I GOTTA MAKE DRASTIC IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS!!!!

Love to read some of those Boston quotes you keep referring to... happen to have any links to support your statements?

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
There is always that risk with Kadri but never forget what a perfect storm that game was: the refs let everything go so badly they didn’t get any work after that round.
DeBrusk bloodies the young guy Dermott with a dirty elbow, knees Kadri, runs Marleau into the stanchion, and also pops Kadri in the face during a first period scrum.
It’s not like Kadri is Raffi Torres running around head hunting waiting to hurt somebody. We’ve seen him take all kinds of abuse in the past couple years and not react, that game was just a unique disaster.
The guy just needs stay away from trying to play the enforcer roll. Hopefully the team can add some toughness.
This post is NOT a justification of his actions. That is irrelevant to discussing whether he still fits on the team and the likelihood of future issues arising. He shouldn’t have done it, there is no justification; will it happen again? Probably not.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmma

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
LOL, Babcock does not do in game adjustments? Probably one of the more fictitious "takes" we see on this board. Like the KGB says, if you say something that is factually not accurate enough times people will eventually believe it to be true. Good job Comrade.

So the LEAGUE has had NINE MONTHS to adjust to this fantastic Boston coaching staff and their PP and not a single coach has come up with an answer but your response is I'm tired of Babcock so lets fire him. Not Hey Boston has ELITE PP players, full story, stop.

Give me an example of an in game failure to adjust by Babcock that cost us a game.

you know. i figure you want to focus on your Boston Powerplay point - and ignoring what i'm saying and want to put words in my mouth saying "i'm tired of Babcock so let's fire him." and other stuff. so i figure. you keep focusing on that, and since you like putting words in my mouth i don't have to respond to you anymore about this.

Reactions: kb

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
you know. i figure you want to focus on your Boston Powerplay point - and ignoring what i'm saying and want to put words in my mouth saying "i'm tired of Babcock so let's fire him." and other stuff. so i figure. you keep focusing on that, and since you like putting words in my mouth i don't have to respond to you anymore about this.

[QUOTE="Daisy Jane, post: 161807699, member: 87564. I'm tired of him, and I think as great as a job he did to bring back respectability to the franchise - I don't know or think he's the right coach moving forward.

if you do. - great.[/QUOTE]

LOL, sure you "never" said that you were tired of him (except you did) and you said he's not the right coach moving forward, but you don't endorse firing him, OK? So I guess you think he's the wrong coach but you endorse keeping him employed? That makes all the logical sense in the world.... Errrr... ummm?

I guess you support bringing him out to a nice Coaches farm in the country where old coaches frolic in the field all day but are not fired... keep up little flower, we don't fire coaches for doing a great job...maybe Leaf Nation does but elite franchises don't.. #stability.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Fire da coach!!

Craig Berube or Bruce Cassidy could probably have done a better job with the same personnel... 1 top pairing D man and some butter soft forwards probably wouldn’t have mattered.

It’s Babcock’s fault. All of it.

:laugh:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So to frame this answer I've said playoffs multiple times in previous posts to you, you reply use Kadri as an option on the PK. How do you do that exactly when he is SUSPENDED? Kadri is not good defensivly, he is good as a match up center, two totally different skillset's. See what I mean by strawman? You attempt to refute my statement by suggesting an option for Babcock is to do something that is simply impossible.

Sure lets put our two best centers out on the PK and let the other teams fire pucks at them from the point ... wonderful idea ... for the record Marner shouldn't be out there either. It would accomplish one thing for sure, we would have the leagues most expensive IR.

So we can have your chicken little approach, throw the baby out with the bath water and time you think we are in trouble orrrrr we can take the route of steady as she goes. Hurry Jake you are LW.... Mitch you are left defence... Anderson..we need you at center... Matthews put the pads on ...you are in net.... hurry we have to placate angry knowledge challenged fans... HURRY.. they might write another mean post about me.... I GOTTA MAKE DRASTIC IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS!!!!

Love to read some of those Boston quotes you keep referring to... happen to have any links to support your statements?

This year, Bruins players said they were surprised the Leafs played the 2nd PP more than the 1st PP unit and it made it easier on their PK. I heard the clips on the radio.
Last year they said similar things.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Fire da coach!!

Craig Berube or Bruce Cassidy could probably have done a better job with the same personnel... 1 top pairing D man and some butter soft forwards probably wouldn’t have mattered.

;)

Absolutely fire the coach, fire the bear, fire the Zamboni driver, fire the ticket takers, fire the fans... fire, fire, fire ...

As logical and well thought out Leaf fans tend to be ;) ... what if some of the #ABB (Anyone But Babcock) cheerleaders get their wish and what if this team does not get better, what if we actually get worse, what if Babcock and his consistent approach and patience is why we just had (3) 100+ point seasons in a row, what if a coach with a big ego is what it takes to shelter this team from the fish bowl pressure.

What if fans could separate their dislike of Babcocks personalty for their opinion of his coaching abilities? What if the small minority of Leaf fans calling for Babcock's head on a platter are wrong? What if it is their ego that is the problem?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Fire da coach!!

Finally a factual post from you! Good job!

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This year, Bruins players said they were surprised the Leafs played the 2nd PP more than the 1st PP unit and it made it easier on their PK. I heard the clips on the radio.
Last year they said similar things.

It was in the news as well. Found this after a bit of searching:

There were multiple sources that quoted it but that's the best I can do.

Edit: Here's Sportsnet saying it (quoting the same Tweet):

Maple Leafs' Mike Babcock facing lots of questions after another early exit - Sportsnet.ca

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
;)

Absolutely fire the coach, fire the bear, fire the Zamboni driver, fire the ticket takers, fire the fans... fire, fire, fire ...

As logical and well thought out Leaf fans tend to be ;) ... what if some of the #ABB (Anyone But Babcock) cheerleaders get their wish and what if this team does not get better, what if we actually get worse, what if Babcock and his consistent approach and patience is why we just had (3) 100+ point seasons in a row, what if a coach with a big ego is what it takes to shelter this team from the fish bowl pressure.

What if fans could separate their dislike of Babcocks personalty for their opinion of his coaching abilities? What if the small minority of Leaf fans calling for Babcock's head on a platter are wrong? What if it is their ego that is the problem?
Impossible! They couldn’t be wrong! Did you hear what the Bruins players apparently said?

:laugh: cheerleaders. That’s a great word for them.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yes, you're an emotional Babcock cheerleader!
Actually my opinion on Babcock has been consistent for 10 years: he’s a ****in’ prick but he’s a damn good coach. Every player and team that submits to him becomes better for it.

The fact you think the coach is the biggest problem... well.. :laugh:

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Actually my opinion on Babcock has been consistent for 10 years: he’s a ****in’ prick but he’s a damn good coach. Every player and team that submits to him becomes better for it.

The fact you think the coach is the biggest problem... well.. :laugh:
The results speak for themselves. But it's never his fault, right?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
;)

Babcock’s playoff record the past 10 years is more concerning than his personality.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The results speak for themselves. But it's never his fault, right?
What results? Not winning with 1 top pairing D man? Not winning with a handful of sally boys in his fwd group?

No coach will have success in Toronto until they build him a team. You’re delusional if you think the current group is a real cup contender. Babcock is good, but he isn’t a magician.

Reactions: Bluelines

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
What results? Not winning with 1 top pairing D man? Not winning with a handful of sally boys in his fwd group?

No coach will have success in Toronto until they build him a team. You’re delusional if you think the current group is a real cup contender. Babcock is good, but he isn’t a magician.
Thanks for proving my point.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Babcock’s playoff record the past 10 years is more concerning than his personality.
Have you seen the teams he’s coached?

Back to back finals in Detroit before the rise of the Hawks and the aging of his roster including the retirement of Brian Rafalski who was never replaced. The year the Hawks got them was the beginning of the end.

He hasn’t coached a contender since. That was ‘11 if memory serves.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Have you seen the teams he’s coached?

Back to back finals in Detroit before the rise of the Hawks and the aging of his roster including the retirement of Brian Rafalski who was never replaced. The year the Hawks got them was the beginning of the end.

He hasn’t coached a contender since. That was ‘11 if memory serves.

He’ll likely never coach another contender.

The rise of ?Buffalo, then Ottawa will get him if he survives this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad