Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I beg your pardon
1: I did not call Kadri a stain. That was Ulf.

2: just because I don't blow smoke up Kadri's backside doesn't mean I hate him. I hate the fact - that in my opinion - he does dirty and illegal things like taking his stick as a weapon and driving it at people's heads and I'm not going to applaud someone for doing it - just because they were hurt first. I hate the fact that regardless if he cares or not - that his "caring." hurt the team that I love.
Don't bother Daisy....not a lot of truthful posts between him and Paul Marner. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience at that level....

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It is an unfornate choice of words to call a player like Kadri a "stain"

But this vernacular speaks more about you than it does about him. When you give us a whole speal about peaking and aging and trading... that is all a facade. You simply dont like the guy. All the reasoning you provide is just window dressing.

You are a fool to think you know something that is not true.

I dislike him so much, I defended his selfish actions:

To be fair to Kadri the illegal abuse/unpunished liberties that Debrusk took out on Kadri and other Leafs that game would make anyone one go Sideshow Bob. The most recent suspension is as much on the refs for not calling a fair game as it's on Kadri. If you isolate just one event, most people would lose their stuff but there were at least 4 significant dangerous events that Kadri tolerated before he went Sideshow Bob. Targeting Kadri's knee, falling on Kadri, while Kadri is defenceless on the ice and driving (punching) Kadri's face into the ice multiple times, the multiple charging missed calls. It was clear it was open season on Kadri and the refs were not going to do a dang thing to protect him.

I dislike him so much so I suggested he is paired with our franchise center:

I feel like for that reason we should try him at wing with Matthews and Nylander, Kadri could be the shooter that he never had with Hyman on his wing. I think Kadri, Matthews and Nylander could become our top line pretty quickly.

People like you that you lack simple reasoning skills and then pass absolute false judgement on others make our society poorer.

I don't dislike Kadri, I feel rather indifferent about his value to our roster. I think his value in a trade and the cap space it provides to us in a trade is more valuable than the 16 goals and multiple suspensions he brings to the team.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Fact. he knows he is a vital component of his teams chances. Fact he feels he has been treated unjustly. Fact rather than act like a mature leader he takes a reckless run at the player he could potentially take advantage of for the series. Fact he got suspended not once but twice in the playoffs. Fact.

Lot of reckless play was being allowed the other way. I get the distinct feeling that given what was being allowed the other way, Kadri understood that turnabout was fair play. It wasn't. But it wasn't reckless in the context of playoffs hockey where refs have allowed turnabout.

His challenge was wrong. So were any number of challenges by the other club that weren't called. But "a reckless run"? Doesn't fit the definition. Kadri retaliated so he obviously knew what he was doing and he did it to stand up for his club.

Reckless officiating? Now we're talking.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Lot of reckless play was being allowed the other way. I get the distinct feeling that given what was being allowed the other way, Kadri understood that turnabout was fair play. It wasn't. But it wasn't reckless in the context of playoffs hockey where refs have allowed turnabout.

His challenge was wrong. So were any number of challenges by the other club that weren't called. But "a reckless run"? Doesn't fit the definition. Kadri retaliated so he obviously knew what he was doing and he did it to stand up for his club.

Reckless officiating? Now we're talking.
Sums up the way I feel about it. There were numerous infractions in that game that could have been called and they weren't.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Sums up the way I feel about it. There were numerous infractions in that game that could have been called and they weren't.

Absolutely.

It's been rich seeing and reading Bruins fans reactions to the "missed?" call in Game 5.

God bless Bozak is what I say.

Reactions: Superstar

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1000000% agreed.

Why are there so many who care about the individual players so much??? It's the team that matters.

TBH, most of the time when someone says "crest on the front, not the name on the back" I just roll my eyes. I think that goes without saying for 99.9% of us 99.9% of the time but it's interesting that whenever people say this, it's usually right after they've finished trashing one of our players. It's ironic that people talk about the crest in those moments when they see to be focused on a name. Not saying that's what's going on here, just a general observation. I might also feel that way because the first person who kept saying that was Pookie who always said it after trashing Kadri and in the case, of Kadri/Pookie, the name on the back is clearly all that matters.

I'd trade him if the right trade came along but I wouldn't give him away, that's for damn sure. I mostly like what we've done with Dubas in charge so I'll just trust the guys that make the decision and hope that if we do keep Kadri, we have some top notch shrinks on board because if he were to get suspended in the playoffs again, I just might lose my mind.

Reactions: kb and willmma

kb

Aug 28, 2009
TBH, most of the time when someone says "crest on the front, not the name on the back" I just roll my eyes. I think that goes without saying for 99.9% of us 99.9% of the time but it's interesting that whenever people say this, it's usually right after they've finished trashing one of our players. It's ironic that people talk about the crest in those moments when they see to be focused on a name. Not saying that's what's going on here, just a general observation. I might also feel that way because the first person who kept saying that was Pookie who always said it after trashing Kadri and in the case, of Kadri/Pookie, the name on the back is clearly all that matters.

I'd trade him if the right trade came along but I wouldn't give him away, that's for damn sure. I mostly like what we've done with Dubas in charge so I'll just trust the guys that make the decision and hope that if we do keep Kadri, we have some top notch shrinks on board because if he were to get suspended in the playoffs again, I just might lose my mind.
Here is the thing. I am not trashing him, and I don't want him gone for the sake of being gone. Any move has to be a move that addresses a true need for the Leafs. Otherwise, it's simply not worth it to do.

But the bolded absolutely nails it. LOL

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Here is the thing. I am not trashing him, and I don't want him gone for the sake of being gone. It has to be a move that addresses a true need for the Leafs. Otherwise, it's not worth it to do.

Agree 100%.

Reactions: kb

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
This happened for years the NHL only really cares now. Also keep in mind the Refs got sent home after this series. Kadri is our player right now that's what matters I am sure he let down the people that matter most in his life. The NHL is different Kadri would have learned the old NHL as a kid growing up. It's totally taught different. People we're taught to hurt people. Kneeing is super frowned upon as it can really hurt someone. Same with don't hit from behind, to hurt someone's future quality of life is pretty Extreme. Aka Todd Bertuzzi. Those events changed multiple people's lives. Kadri was totally callous in his actions in regards to today's NHL but honestly not even 10 years ago the dude would have been properly thumped. Further proof the NHL wants to get away from size and go to skill it is what it is. Our fans need to unite at some point. I get We the North is remarkable marketing, but look at what it has done. Leafs have that power, people are scare of us being United. Support our players as they are what we have in the now. Support our GM and Coaches as they control the future. Granted if they do bad things sure call them out. This sky's falling because it doesn't make sense to you is call having faith. Forget the past because it's there for a reason.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Only player left from the 7th. game collapse is Kadri.

He has now disappointed in the past 2 playoff series against the Bruins.

He is the only remaining player from all those failures.

You can't trust him in pressure situations, as he proves over and over again he can't control himself.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Gardiner definitely played in that series.

Not sure how you could forget him being on the ice for Bergeron's OT goal.

I thought he was, but when I looked at hockeydb I somehow didn’t see it. That’s why I made the correction.

Well glad my memory is fine, bit worried about my attention span..

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This happened for years the NHL only really cares now. Also keep in mind the Refs got sent home after this series. Kadri is our player right now that's what matters I am sure he let down the people that matter most in his life. The NHL is different Kadri would have learned the old NHL as a kid growing up. It's totally taught different. People we're taught to hurt people. Kneeing is super frowned upon as it can really hurt someone. Same with don't hit from behind, to hurt someone's future quality of life is pretty Extreme. Aka Todd Bertuzzi. Those events changed multiple people's lives. Kadri was totally callous in his actions in regards to today's NHL but honestly not even 10 years ago the dude would have been properly thumped. Further proof the NHL wants to get away from size and go to skill it is what it is. Our fans need to unite at some point. I get We the North is remarkable marketing, but look at what it has done. Leafs have that power, people are scare of us being United. Support our players as they are what we have in the now. Support our GM and Coaches as they control the future. Granted if they do bad things sure call them out. This sky's falling because it doesn't make sense to you is call having faith. Forget the past because it's there for a reason.
So, do you think Marchand's slewfooting and Chara's punches to the head are ok, because they grew up years ago, too?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He is getting older.
He isn't the best skater, never has been.
He is likely permanently going to be a 3rd. liner in Toronto.
He didn't prove that he should remain in the #1 PP this year.
He doesn't PK.
He lets his emotion get the better of him.
He brings emotion that helps get the team motivated.
He is capable of scoring 30 goals.
He has good hands.
He is driven to do better.
He has a very good contract, especially if used higher in a line-up.
He cares about his teammates.

Kadri is an asset, Dubas wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't pursue ways of improving the team by moving asset(s) for asset(s).

Reactions: JEI

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Love what Kadri brings to the table.. when he's engaged and not a loose cannon he can be an extremely effective pest and take guys off their game while chipping in offence.

I feel this last year bringing in JT, he looked lost most games. He no longer had a shutdown role against top lines and struggled to take advantage offensively over supposedly better matchups against teams bottom 6.

I hate to say it but all that combined with another playoff suspension, it's the right time to trade him. With his contract he's one of our better trading chips for a top 4 RHD.

I'd use him for either a big trade for RHD or a smaller deal where we acquire a 3C who can PK that is strong on faceoffs and a pick. Use said pick for D help. Ideally you're shaving a few mil off the cap in the latter deal.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
it was shoulder to shoulder. it was where the hit was, that people had issue with it, because it was near the stanchion - most media (not just toronto, or boston mind you) thought it was a good hit, just bad location - where i've always said that's what made it gross. i never ever said otherwise to that fact. but I am sorry i will call a spade a spade. if it's gutless to check someone near/into the stanchion(something that i said over and over again that was really gross, and Debrusk should have been taken to task for that) - then it is equally gutless to take your stick and check it into someone's head.I don't care if it's Kadri or Matthews, or McDavid, or the Dali Lama. I'd be consistent on that one. there were many ways to defend that hit, and Kadri chose the illegal option. Two wrongs don't equal a right.

and I will also point out. I have never said, that Kadri was not a bad centre. What I said was - he can't be trusted to keep his cool. And people can make this all about injury prone players and all that other stuff, which is fine, but again. this is my question - if the Leafs are depending Kadri to really maximize line up decisions and pairings, and the Leafs make it to the finals, - and part of any good coach's strategy would be "get under Kadri's skin and get him to snap, even if it means you have to toe the line, go over the line." do you 100 percent trust Kadri not to retaliate? Do you 100 percent believe that he'll bide his time to defend his teammate (should something happen?)

because I do not because he's proven time and again he doesn't learn from these kind of mistakes - not to mention. even if we want to play the game of, "yeah sure now it's finally sinking in that he can't do something like this" it doesn't change the fact that, despite that Kadri is a 2x 30 goal scorer, at 4.5 million - the question.is. one more time is this and i'll post this one too.

Do you believe that Nazem Kadri is going to score 30 goals from the third line with limited chances?

because if not then it doesn't matter that we have a 30 goal scorer at 4.5m, because he's not going to be able to do it on the third line, and he might not get prime powerplay time (not if we're getting a new PP strat, the go too might just be Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, and Rielly. and ride them for the 2 minutes).

if you do think he is, then do you believe that he's going to stay at 4.5 (or a little bit more) to stay with the Leafs, when it is possible that if he was a 2nd line (or a 1st line centre for another team he'd be able to hit 35-40+?)

so either way - . we either had a 30 goal scorer who won't be able to do it, or we have someone who can, which has great value to this team to make it better in the areas that we are woefully lacking in.

people wanna go people hate Kadri, and I just want to make it quite clear that i don't. but I don't put my 'love of the player." trump the love i have for the team. The team will always come first to me and what it needs to be better. so regardless of the fact that I don't trust Kadri to do the smart thing on the ice if he's angry - i respect what he also brings to the team, and i think it would behoove the team to maximize the asset and move him out to improve.

because the Leafs do not need a 3rd line 30 goal scorer. that's a luxury.

whats so limiting about the amount of PP time he gets?

I think his drop in points is due to 60% of his ice time being paired with Marleau and Brown and Zaitsev who all say a decrease in their stats.

BUT like the season previous you put Marner on a line with Kadri and scores 30 goals.....hmmmm

No one ever stops to think anymore. its just blah blah blah completely devoid of facts. Kadri is good. Very talented. Very tough. Can score 30 with good linemates.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think his drop in points is due to 60% of his ice time being paired with Marleau and Brown and Zaitsev who all say a decrease in their stats.

BUT like the season previous you put Marner on a line with Kadri and scores 30 goals.....hmmmm

No one ever stops to think anymore. its just blah blah blah completely devoid of facts. Kadri is good. Very talented. Very tough. Can score 30 with good linemates.

Kadri scored 32 goals without Marner.

Kadri has nice hands in close ... most years, but he does have years where they don't go in.

In the last 5 years, he has scored less than 20, 3 times.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Only player left from the 7th. game collapse is Kadri.

He has now disappointed in the past 2 playoff series against the Bruins.

He is the only remaining player from all those failures.

You can't trust him in pressure situations, as he proves over and over again he can't control himself.

Jake was there too.

Reactions: weems

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Fact: Kadri is capable of scoring 30 goals.

Fact: The Leafs problem isn't scoring goals. their problems are being weak up the right side defensively, not having a dedicated centre for playing penalty killing AMONG other things.

Fact Kadri is making 4.5 million a year

Fact: if Kadri scores 30 goals (or even 25++) in 2 of the next 3 seasons he'll want a contract indicative of the fact that he can generate a lot of offense on the third line because we can all agree he's got talent that is above a typical third line centre.

Fact: everyone complained that the following:

Bozak, Tyler, van Reimsdyk, James, Gardiner, Jake

had left (or will leave) the team without maximizing their potential returns for the team.

Fact: having a 2x30 goal scorer who has played on the 2nd line and on a bad team could be a 1st line centre, and has shut down capabilities can bring in great amount of assets.

Fact: for all the good things that Kadri can bring - the Leafs need to improve on the things they are not.

More than likely: by trading Kadri you can
A: have a third line centre that can clear up a lot of the issues the Leafs have. the Leafs do not need someone on the third line who scores 30 goals.. that's a "Ooh isn't that great," regular season happy" not a "we want to win the cup need."

B: more than likely get a RHD (and some other assets if we do a big trade).

C: Find some cheaper sandpaper/toughness blah blah

so. no. not devoid of facts at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad