Salary Cap: Nazem “Suspension” Kadri – Cap casualty?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Put him with Moore and normal Willy for a season and my guess he is back to 30+ again and his numbers at start of year will look even better. You don't trade a guy in his prime when things going bad for him. You never get full value back. Did Ducks trade Getzlaf after a couple bad seasons with many things going against him? No in fact he made Team Canada.

So we are comparing an 8 time All Star to Kadri now? Aside for the obvious reasons why that comparison is not a great one, Ryan makes $8, 250, 000 per year, Kadri makes $4.5 million a year. I would suspects one of those 2 cap hit is far easier to trade than the other. Ryan's cap hit and his expected production would make any GM say no to a trade offer that includes him.

Indirectly you did bring up a salient comparison, Ryan had been a 19 goal to 25 goal scorer his entire career, then had a season in his late twenties with 31 goals, then 25 goals, then subsequent season he hit 15, 15, 11, 14 . It not unusual for players to have seasons of high production in their late 20's, only to fall off drastically, quickly and without warning.

If an 8 time All Star can peak at 28 years of age, why is it so unusual to suggest a never ever All Star has peaked at 27 years old? Folks @Pookie has been saying this for a good year now, he has shown irrefutable proof with data, with graphs and with hand puppets. Every player hits a peak, good teams know when to cut bait. Even when that player is a hometown hero they get traded. Gilmour was traded, Clark was traded, Vaive was traded and Kadri will be traded, not because he sucks but because he has value.

Reactions: kb

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Yer a little too sensitive.

It is an unfornate choice of words to call a player like Kadri a "stain"

But this vernacular speaks more about you than it does about him. When you give us a whole speal about peaking and aging and trading... that is all a facade. You simply dont like the guy. All the reasoning you provide is just window dressing.

Reactions: diceman934

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

But this vernacular speaks more about you than it does about him. When you give us a whole speal about peaking and aging and trading... that is all a facade. You simply dont like the guy. All the reasoning you provide is just window dressing.

Biased people can still make valid points.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

More than unfortunate, it's just wrong IMO. Bitch all you want about Kadri the last couple of playoffs but in 2013, he's about the last guy anyone should be blaming.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

why does it matter if they like the guy or not? it doesn't change the fact the factors are true.

Reactions: kb and mclaren55

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I'd trade him for a cheaper 3C that's more suited to that specific role

We need a center that can PK and do plenty of heavy lifting so Tavares and Matthews don't have to, not doing stupid **** when things get tight would also be a bonus

He's a luxury item with our cap situation, I'm happy to keep him but I'd definitely be looking at potential trade options

Not doing stupid stuff is now the crux of Kadris existence, he can’t be trusted. He’s a valuable entity on a desirable contract. If he can be dealt to fill one of the major needs I’d do it in a heartbeat. 3rd line centres are easier to find/develop than top 4 d. Make him a key piece of a mega deal and I won’t shed a tear.

Reactions: Kiwi

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
why does it matter if they like the guy or not? it doesn't change the fact the factors are true.

It does matter because it obviously skews the perspective. We just signed JT to 7 year deal despite him being exactly the same age as Kadri.

I dont recall you, Daisy, finding anything positive in Kadri. In every game there are penalties by many players but when Kadri gets a penalty you unload on how selfish he is. You're always telling us how Kadri is stupid and selfish for taking a penalty.

Like Pookie who has been blasting Kadri for years and years. Kadri had his ups and downs on the ice, great performances as well as bad ones. But for Pookie he Kadri should have been traded many years ago.

When it is a personal dislike to a player then all the following analysis is tainted.

I like Kadri a lot, and admittedly I am biased for him. But I try to understand when people talk about a real hockey trade to fill an urgent need and I definetly cannot argue or defend his suspensions.

But for me Kadri has a lot more to offer and plays with such heart it is inspiring. I don't see anyone else on this team put it all on the line like he does.

At the end of the day those who dont like him wont be impressed by any of his contributions, thats fine. But dont come here, hate on him, call him a stain and then pretend to be having an honest debate on trading him.

Last edited:

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
It does matter because it obviously skews the perspective. We just signed JT to 7 year deal despite him being exactly the same age as Kadri.

I dont recall you, Daisy, finding anything positive in Kadri. In every game there are penalties by many players but when Kadri gets a penalty you unload on how selfish he is. You're always telling us how Kadri is stupid and selfish for taking a penalty.

Like Pookie who has been blasting Kadri for years and years. Kadri had his ups and downs on the ice, great performances as well as bad ones. But for Pookie he Kadri should have been traded many years ago.

When it is a personal dislike to a player then all the following analysis is tainted.

I like Kadri a lot, and admittedly I am biased for him. But I try to understand when people talk about a real hockey trade to fill an urgent need and I definetly cannot argue or defend his suspensions.

But for me Kadri has a lot more to offer and plays with such heart it is inspiring. I don't see anyone else on this team put it all on the line like he does.

At the end of the day those who dont like him wont be impressed by any of his contributions, thats fine. But dont come here, hate on him, call him a stain and then pretend to be having an honest debate on trading him.

Oh Please! Get over yourself!

"Personal dislike of player" Well, that would taint a lot of conversations about a lot of players.

Your biased reasoning is being tainted by (wait for it) your biased reasoning. LOL

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Oh Please! Get over yourself!

"Personal dislike of player" Well, that would taint a lot of conversations about a lot of players.

Your biased reasoning is being tainted by (wait for it) your biased reasoning. LOL

Get over what?
It sounds like you dont like what I said but some how you are still agreeing with what I'm saying.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
It does matter because it obviously skews the perspective.

Can’t speak for others but I’ve been a big supporter of Kadris from the outset. Saw him play often in junior and was delighted when he was drafted. Big supporter,.the pest can be asset if controlled. Forgave last years suspension as part of the package and told everyone that the Leafs would win because of depth down the middle and barring injury the Leafs were far superior , barring injury, not a chance Kadri would be stupid again. Unnecessary and downright stupid. He wasn’t sticking up for Marleau he was road raged.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Can’t speak for others but I’ve been a big supporter of Kadris from the outset. Saw him play often in junior and was delighted when he was drafted. Big supporter,.the pest can be asset if controlled. Forgave last years suspension as part of the package and told everyone that the Leafs would win because of depth down the middle and barring injury the Leafs were far superior , barring injury, not a chance Kadri would be stupid again. Unnecessary and downright stupid. He wasn’t sticking up for Marleau he was road raged.

I agree with everything you said except that last piece. I agree it was unnecessary and stupid. I am heart broken we lost the series and heart broken Kadri's stupid play contributed to that loss.

But on the questions of why he did it, we can argue about his intentions but no one really knows. Ultimately what I think and what you think his intentions were are our own opinions, and on that incident we do not agree. Neither of us can prove the other wrong. But ultimately nevermind good or bad intentions it was a unnecessary and stupid and it hurt us.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
I agree with everything you said except that last piece. I agree it was unnecessary and stupid. I am heart broken we lost the series and heart broken Kadri's stupid play contributed to that loss.

But on the questions of why he did it, we can argue about his intentions but no one really knows. Ultimately what I think and what you think his intentions were are our own opinions, and on that incident we do not agree. Neither of us can prove the other wrong. But ultimately nevermind good or bad intentions it was a unnecessary and stupid and it hurt us.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

She hates Kadri as much as anyone and calling him a stain is proof of that hatred. I am a huge Kadri fan for one reason, he cares.

Reactions: willmma

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Fact. He made the cross check on the pos who just delivery a gutless hit on Marleau. That is a undeniable fact.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Fact. he knows he is a vital component of his teams chances. Fact he feels he has been treated unjustly. Fact rather than act like a mature leader he takes a reckless run at the player he could potentially take advantage of for the series. Fact he got suspended not once but twice in the playoffs. Fact.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
She hates Kadri as much as anyone and calling him a stain is proof of that hatred. I am a huge Kadri fan for one reason, he cares.
Your Kadri and Marner takes show you only care about the name on the back of the jersey, not the logo on the front.

Reactions: weems

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

right. you like Kadri, so you are biased against him. so why is your analysis and the reasons to keep him - worth more than those who don't like him and don't want to? either way view is skewed, is it not? - not to mention Pookie wasn't even the one who called Kadri a stain. that would be Ulf.

And let's just get something straight right off.. I don't come here after every game and go "well this is the penalty Kadri took wasn't it dumb and selfish and stupid." There are a handful that he's done that i've called out - the one he took last year that the Leafs had had a powerplay or something and he took a really dumb one and it negated it- hurting any chance of a comeback - there was the Wingles hit, (because I thought it was dirty) and there was this one. (because I thought it was dirty). and i thought (and will think) it was selfish. and while people want to be all "he was defending a teammate." I doubt very much that was the only thing in his head - just altrustically defending a teammate.

and let's not make it like that I don't try to be consistent and if someone doesn't do something cheap and dirty (on the Leafs, like I called out polak for laying out the guy who ran into Andersen), either. I generally try to call spades a spade regardless if they are my favourite player, or i can't stand them. if they were wrong, Ill argue for it, if they did good stuff I'll defend that too. I mean Lord knows i haven't made it a secret how much I hate Burke - but as much times i'll drag him over the coals, I will defend him if people are wrong.

second of all. when Naz does great things, ie: if he scores hat tricks, or when he hit 30 goals etc, i cheered just as loud and i gave him credit. when he dropped the gloves vs. Backes (and Thornton etc) i was clapping and said go ahead, way to go. Not to mention. let's not make it sound that I do endeavour to try to be equal to everyone. Naz wants to be seen as a leader, and an example - therefore I hold him to a higher standard of that then I would for example Brown. but if Brown did something as stupid and what I personally take as a selfish move -as getting suspended twice in the playoffs for being dirty, I would be just as loud and vocal about not trusting him moving forward - especially if he has a history of being a hot head and should know better.

I'm not going to sit here and wax poetic about Kadri's actions in Boston (either year) and pretend that he did this really great thing - because I personally don't think it was. I'm not going to put it at fault to everyone else - and Kadri is the innocent victim here because he's not. I have flat out said, I don't trust him and I think he's dirty and I personally wouldn't want him on the team because of that - regardless of the good stuff that he can do. because to me - the fact that he's had numerous conversations about keeping a level head, and numerous times stated that he can't let his emotions trump what's best for the team - twice his actions hurt this team in their aspirations to advancing.

the crap Kadri does either. if people want to say what the things I think is crap is actually contributions and it's great that he does it-that's fine. we can agree to disagree, but i'm not going to apologise for having that opinion, nor am I going to apologise for thinking that it's that behaviour that has hurt this team twice in advancing. I've never said it was the sole reason why we got eliminated but it was a serious contributing factor. The fact that a huge chunk of people want to ignore this is beyond me - and they justify it because he was "defending his teammate."

I get what the good things that Kadri brings to a team, and i acknowledge it. I think it behooves the team to capitalize on the good stuff that he has while it has maximum value and make the team better. it doesn't help in his favour at all that i personally do not believe he is capable of not doing something to damage this team's chances of going on a cup run, because he's done it twice. And I personally feel that that the leafs can get someone who can do what he can, and still be trust worthy, as well as capitalize on his return and make us better in other areas. I will never apologise for loving the logo on the front more than anyone's name on the back.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

So much he manages to get himself suspended twice during the playoffs, if that's caring I wish he'd care a little less

Fact. He made the cross check on the pos who just delivery a gutless hit on Marleau. That is a undeniable fact.

It's also an undeniable fact he lost control of himself, again
Doing it once is dumb, doing it twice is getting into the realm of unforgivable

Reactions: weems and kb

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

I beg your pardon
1: I did not call Kadri a stain. That was Ulf.

2: just because I don't blow smoke up Kadri's backside doesn't mean I hate him. I hate the fact - that in my opinion - he does dirty and illegal things like taking his stick as a weapon and driving it at people's heads and I'm not going to applaud someone for doing it - just because they were hurt first. I hate the fact that regardless if he cares or not - that his "caring." hurt the team that I love.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
So much he manages to get himself suspended twice during the playoffs, if that's caring I wish he'd care a little less

It's also an undeniable fact he lost control of himself, again
Doing it once is dumb, doing it twice is getting into the realm of unforgivable

but it's okay because he's passionate, and he bleeds blue, and he cares, and don't worry Kiwi, this time he'll clue in that hitting someone in the head is wrong and he'll get suspended for it, just you watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad