Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Daugherty seems to think Askarov is going to be the backup next year based on his interview with Trotz. Super obvious take but we really need Askarov to light it up as a backup and then I think we actually could get a haul for him.
Problem i see here

Saros like Rinne wants to take the lions share of starts even with a competent backup. I dont think getting into 20 games is going to do much for askarov

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Problem i see here

Saros like Rinne wants to take the lions share of starts even with a competent backup. I dont think getting into 20 games is going to do much for askarov
I expect we'll sign a veteran backup to do 75% of the travel with the team, but call up Askarov for back to backs when we expect the backup to play. I could see 55-60 for Saros, 15-20 for Askarov, and 5-12 for *insert generic backup* with Askarov also starting 30+ games in Milwaukee.

Of course, this is all assuming he stays. If (not confirmed) we gave Saros a NMC to stay here for the next NINE years, you have to figure there's a good chance Asky is being shopped.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Problem i see here

time for the coaches to do the right thing and cut back his load so he can make it longer. I think one of his problems in the playoffs is he's worn out from being overworked.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I expect we'll sign a veteran backup to do 75% of the travel with the team, but call up Askarov for back to backs when we expect the backup to play. I could see 55-60 for Saros, 15-20 for Askarov, and 5-12 for *insert generic backup* with Askarov also starting 30+ games in Milwaukee.

Of course, this is all assuming he stays. If (not confirmed) we gave Saros a NMC to stay here for the next NINE years, you have to figure there's a good chance Asky is being shopped.
Couldnt blame him if he did request out. Players want to make the NHL. When they see their path cut off, it has to be sickening.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Couldnt blame him if he did request out. Players want to make the NHL. When they see their path cut off, it has to be sickening.
I won't go as far as saying his path is fully cut off, here or elsewhere. The last shred of hope I'm holding too is there aren't any NMC/NTCs attached here, meaning we could still move Saros if Asky emerges. Heck, hockey is wild, what if Saros has a career ending injury this year? You just never know. But certainly it is looking less likely.

Reactions: Viqsi

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
time for the coaches to do the right thing and cut back his load so he can make it longer. I think one of his problems in the playoffs is he's worn out from being overworked.
They let rinne have 56+ games all the way through age 36/37. I dont see them cutting Saros back or him wanting to give a potential replacement (Askarov) a chance to steal the show

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
How are we feeling about this. I'm just not sure.

We have the best goalie prospect in the league who seems to have it all: Swagger, puck playing ability, reflexes. He also is young and could crack (like all prospects).

We have a top 12 goalie who is undersized but been a cornerstone. He has some great picturesque saves/moments/runs and also a portfolio of playoff softies.

I just don't know.

You can keep both but only if you have an exit plan for one of them. Signing Saros doesn't mean he never leaves, but if you give him NTC....it would be an effort and possibly punitive for us. I would hate to trade the next dynamic goalie right when he is ready for the big time.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
Like others have said, the contract is fine, maybe even pretty good. But not for where this team is. I could be wrong, but I expect we'll see mostly the same roster next year with a McDonagh replacement and 1 or 2 new middle 6 forwards. That's not even close to good enough to compete for anything other than a 7-8 seed and a quick playoff exit. It's just demoralizing to see the team continue to tread water, but maybe they'll throw together another miracle playoff run as an 8 seed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Like others have said, the contract is fine, maybe even pretty good. But not for where this team is. I could be wrong, but I expect we'll see mostly the same roster next year with a McDonagh replacement and 1 or 2 new middle 6 forwards. That's not even close to good enough to compete for anything other than a 7-8 seed and a quick playoff exit. It's just demoralizing to see the team continue to tread water, but maybe they'll throw together another miracle playoff run as an 8 seed.
I think the goal is to tread water so that the kids coming up - as they gradually come up - are developed in a quality environment such that they can eventually take over with confidence and aplomb.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I think the goal is to tread water so that the kids coming up - as they gradually come up - are developed in a quality environment such that they can eventually take over with confidence and aplomb.
I agree with the first half here but have a much darker view of the second half.

I think the goal is to tread water so that we are always competitive and make the playoffs as a wild card more often than we miss them so the team is profitable. I don't think the directive from the ownership group is "Do what it takes to win a cup", I think it's "keep putting butts in seats".

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, the CBA protects sufficiently against this, so any players who think their path is "cut off" are usually out to lunch. (Players don't even usually claim this at all, just fans do.)

Like with our kids up front atm, if they don't make the team in 3 years of trying, they have to clear waivers. (4 yrs for goalies). So that's the limit of their path being "cut off". If they aren't good enough that another team even wants to pick them up on waivers after that time, then maybe they just have to face the reality that they... simply aren't good enough.

NHL teams want to win hockey games, so Askarov has nothing to worry about. If he helps the Preds win more games than Saros does, he'll play ahead of Saros. (At least, within a year of proving it to not be a fluke.) And if he's pretty good, but just not ever as good as Saros... well, then that's his problem... get better. Worst case he's a UFA at 27. :dunno:

Reactions: Viqsi

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean Poile's influence is still undoubtedly there. Most everything Trotz has done to this point isn't dramatically different than what I expect Poile would have done. The only exception would be the Duchene buyout but I'm not sure that was even a great choice. But it's only been one year so we'll see what he has up his sleeve this offseason. Unfortunately, it looks like the opportunity to acquire any elite level players this offseason is fading quickly though.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Maybe but Trotz is his own man.
Yeah but seems to be following the same old playbook. Say's one thing but stays the course. Sure he got rid of a few players but replaced them with same age players. He must not like any of the younger players in Milwaukee, at least that is how it looks. Until the old playbook is burned or shredded, if it looks like the old Preds then it is the old Preds.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

Never really know what is real versus using the media to negotiate but this would be an interesting development. Still think it would be tough to get him here but more likely than I thought previously.
The exact kinda guy I'd offer a 1 year 12M contract to in Chel :laugh:

Would be great to add him if we can, especially since it appears we're trying to contend. I'm guessing he'll get 3 years in the 7-8M range from someone.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Has there been any word on any trade clauses or such regarding Saros' new contract?

Speed is such a big part of Juuse's game and that's one of the first things to go as you age in sports so 8 years seems like a long time.

Reactions: bdub24

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Yeah but seems to be following the same old playbook. Say's one thing but stays the course. Sure he got rid of a few players but replaced them with same age players. He must not like any of the younger players in Milwaukee, at least that is how it looks. Until the old playbook is burned or shredded, if it looks like the old Preds then it is the old Preds.
Most of the young players in Milwaukee are not top 6 (first or second line) forwards or top 4 (first or second pairing) defenders.

Sorry, they just aren’t.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think Necas is off the board. I wouldn't bank on that.

I think Stamkos is a RedWing. We will see. It's probably down to us or them.

I don't really care what we do from here on out, as long as all of our moves are driving towards winning a cup in the next three years.

Rebuild is over. Act like it.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Holding onto Askarov after Saros extension is insanity. Move him while he still has high value and help the team win now. This is a team who's core is not getting any younger and they need a lot of help.

Askarov's one of your best trade assets, currently, so for f***'s sake Barry, you better pull the trigger on this one. No more half-assing this. It's all or nothing.

Reactions: bdub24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad