Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
One thing I'm also worried with Marner.

Who's Florida's "Marner"?

Who's Dallas' "Marner"?

Who was Vegas' "Marner"?

Who was Colorado's "Marner"?

Point being, I can't seem to find that type of player in Cup-winning teams. Of course, we would have Forsberg still. But Marner is not the guy I'm giving up a 1st + Wood + Molendyk type of package and then paying $12 mil to.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not sold on Marner either but with as much flak as he gets about the playoffs you would think he was Jarnkrok or something. Marner has something like 50 pts in 57 games where as Forsberg has 59 points in 81 games. Yeah I know Forsberg is much more physical but his production isn't that bad. Neither guy is Rantanen by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to the playoffs.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Why are we downplaying Saros's contract and ability in a potential deal with Marner? Saros is an 8-9 million dollar goaltender on a cheap contract for his caliber next season. Marner is an 11 million dollar cap hit on a team that needs salary cap space. Marner is a really good player, but isn't the second coming.

The six million dollar difference is worth something. All the Saros ++++ is insane. They could have a massive upgrade in net, re-sign Bertuzzi and sign a guy like Tarasenko with that five million to replace 60 of Marners 90 points. If Trotz is giving up a player on a cheap contract that would be in Toronto's lineup next season, I can see picks coming back to the Preds too. I don't think that is the case. But sometimes a hockey trade is on order. 1 for 1. And this org has a history of it (weber for PK, RJ for Seth Jones) If a 1 for 1 isn't good enough, Toronto can go find that zamboni driver from a few years ago who beat them to play net. The Preds aren't bidding against Toronto here, it is the opposite. LA and NJ are desperate for a net upgrade, and I bet a team like Colorado, Carolina, and STL all would be interested too.

Not everything has rocket surgery here....

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
If the rumours are true that Necas wants too much and Carolina is likely to move him, he's a guy I'd take a look at.

Big body, mobile guy who apparently wants to move to center. Attach him to ROR's center school for a couple years and you might have yourself a true 1C for years to come.

Hell, let's go poach Carolina some more and sign Pesce as a UFA. Perfect partner for Josi.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Also, Marner’s never going to hit 100 for us and in the West. He’s more of a PPG player in Nsh. So, trading Nyquist (40p) + Evangelista (40p) doesn’t sound like a deal where we are getting the needed offensive pop.

It's not Marner (80) = Nyquist (40) + Evangelista (40)

It's Marner (80) + ????? (??) > Nyquist (40) + Evangelista (40) unless you plan on only dressing 17 skaters every night.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
One thing I'm also worried with Marner.

Who's Florida's "Marner"?

Who's Dallas' "Marner"?

Who was Vegas' "Marner"?

Who was Colorado's "Marner"?

Point being, I can't seem to find that type of player in Cup-winning teams. Of course, we would have Forsberg still. But Marner is not the guy I'm giving up a 1st + Wood + Molendyk type of package and then paying $12 mil to.
I'm not sure exactly what you're driving at here but there may not be a better comparable in the entire league than Mark Stone. Not very physical, great two way winger (Stone probably a bit better defensively, Marner more gifted offensively). Both pass-first. Stone's production in the playoffs has even dropped compared to regular season. Their difference in reputation is almost entirely based on team success in the playoffs, something that is hard to ascribe to one guy.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The ????? knowing this organization will be Liam Foudy.
Idk. L'Heureux is really making a case for himself and while I've basically come to accept that Tomasino likely gets traded, his production rates were pretty much the same as Evangelista. so if he doesnt get traded and works out some issues he is a good offensive replacement.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'm not sure exactly what you're driving at here but there may not be a better comparable in the entire league than Mark Stone. Not very physical, great two way winger (Stone probably a bit better defensively, Marner more gifted offensively). Both pass-first. Stone's production in the playoffs has even dropped compared to regular season. Their difference in reputation is almost entirely based on team success in the playoffs, something that is hard to ascribe to one guy.
Plus marner is more durable. Stone has missed 110 regular season games (out of 246 games) over the past 3 seasons while having a caphit of 9.5 million.

Marner has missed 25 regular season games over the past 3 seasons.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I think the Preds a lot more money than we think.

The press and us are saying the Preds need to get bigger on defense. Trotz is saying we need to get younger. Look at the freaking redwoods that are on the right side of Milwaukee. Livingston is 6 foot 4 and short compared to Prokop and Matier. Livingston is 25 Prokop is 22. Matier is 21.

Maybe the answer on defense is in Milwaukee

Fabbro
Livingstone
Competition for third

Also, we need to pay attention to June 15 if Philly buys out Ryan Johansen, the Preds get a retained salary slot back and an extra 2.6 million on the cap
The Joey piece will be fascinating. I keep forgetting about the retention spot, that would provide so much flexibility for us.

We're in a spot where we have about 8 defensemen who are 3rd pairing guys (or deserve a look there). Stastney, Lauzon, Schenn, Livingstone, Del Gaizo, Molendyk, Prokop, Hanzel....we've got D 4->7 covered. Outside of Josi, we don't have any real top 3 guys. I want to see us bring in at least one, if not two, of the Pesce/Chychrun/Skjei tier. I really dont want us to sign three veterans guys a la Schenn last year and not give the new guys minutes.

Plus marner is more durable. Stone has missed 110 regular season games (out of 246 games) over the past 3 seasons while having a caphit of 9.5 million.

Marner has missed 25 regular season games over the past 3 seasons.
What about the most important advanced stat for Vegas players - LTIR Cap Saved/Season :sarcasm:

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not very physical? Have you watched Stone play?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Not very physical? Have you watched Stone play, like ever?
Last 5 seasons
Stone average hit/60: 2.04
Marner average hit/60: 1.90

Stone uses his size and frame really well around the ice but he doesn't go around throwing hits. I would still say he is quite physical though... just not in the "Lauzon smash" type of way.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I’d say we go through free agency before we even think about trading for marner. I like marner as a player and I think he’d be a great addition but that cap hit is something I don’t want to give out. Most I’d want to give marner is 10. Anything more and I’m looking else where. I just don’t think he’s worth Matthew,Mac or mcdavid money

Reactions: Predigree

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If the rumours are true that Necas wants too much and Carolina is likely to move him, he's a guy I'd take a look at.

Big body, mobile guy who apparently wants to move to center. Attach him to ROR's center school for a couple years and you might have yourself a true 1C for years to come.

Hell, let's go poach Carolina some more and sign Pesce as a UFA. Perfect partner for Josi.
Based on what Carolina fans have said I wouldn't be signing Necas expecting a center, I'd be doing it expecting a winger and if he works out at center then great. They would know better than anyone if he can play Center and everything I've read is it ain't good when he plays that position.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

He may want to play center, but he can't even outplay ancient Jordan Staal or about-to-be‐bought out Kotkaniemi on the Canes center depth chart. He's a mostly 50-55 point guy with one really good season in '22-'23. Don't see 1C ability in him at all.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He may want to play center, but he can't even outplay ancient Jordan Staal or about-to-be‐bought out Kotkaniemi on the Canes center depth chart. He's a mostly 50-55 point guy with one really good season in '22-'23. Don't see 1C ability in him at all.
If we bring him in, it should be as a basis of adding a good top 6 winger. If he turns into something else then fine, but setting that up as the expectation sounds like a disaster.

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
Maybe its just me, but Marner soundl like our next most hated player in around 2 or 3 year´s. Giving a 27 year old 11 to 12 m for ( idk 6 or 7 year´s) sound like the crape we have done under Poile.

What do we know about Marner, is he a player who loves the game, or is he a player who loves only the money?

What if we give him money and term, and he lough because he can now retire at the age of 33-34 with the ass full of money and dont care about the team.

I know, a lot of what and if but i fear we go in another player trap like we have done it so much in the past. Do we realy want another buyout? I hope Barry and ROR talk together before we think about that move.

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We signed Josi Oct. 2019. His career high up to that point was 61 in 81 games. 19-20 season he had 65 in 69 games and has since gotten 96 and 85 point seasons as 31 and 33 years old. This is a player with over a half dozen concussions. Sometimes players surprise you. Forsberg has also been aging like a fine wine getting better as he gets older. Personally, I think there is a better chance of Marner performing to age 35 than saros performing to age 38. It all depends on contract demands but if they both want 8 year big money, I take marner

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe its just me, but Marner soundl like our next most hated player in around 2 or 3 year´s. Giving a 27 year old 11 to 12 m for ( idk 6 or 7 year´s) sound like the crape we have done under Poile.

What do we know about Marner, is he a player who loves the game, or is he a player who loves only the money?

What if we give him money and term, and he lough because he can now retire at the age of 33-34 with the ass full of money and dont care about the team.

I know, a lot of what and if but i fear we go in another player trap like we have done it so much in the past. Do we realy want another buyout? I hope Barry and ROR talk together before we think about that move.
Marner's current contract is for $65M, plus he got a ton of it in up front bonus money that he would have invested and been making extra on. I don't think he is going to be too worried about money for the rest of his life... he could have retired a few years ago with that "ass full of money" if he had really wanted to, right? I imagine he's going to want to WIN as the primary objective. Moar Money never hurts as a secondary objective. Not having the insane media scrutiny he has been getting in Toronto might be a tertiary objective?

I think we can give him the money and the lowered media spotlight. Even though taxes for NHL players don't really work straight up just the way the state %age makes people think, he should still do just fine here. Pay a little less tax, but probably get a good chunk less of endorsement or other such side hustle opportunities he might get in Toronto. Anyway, money won't be the problem.

Are we perceived as a team that could provide the "WIN" objective, though? I don't know. I still think Vegas will pull one of their crazy moves to get him, if he actually does go on the market.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Maybe you guys are right, but why if its true, Toronto wan´t Stammer and McD over Mitch? Is there something we dont know?

In any case, my alarm bells are ringing.
They need to rebalance their roster and currently have 4 players taking up 46.653 million or over half of the cap for next season. I would think most Toronto fans would rather get rid of Tavares but don't think he would not waive his NMC.

I would also take Tavares if the cost to acquire isn't much of anything.

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
They need to rebalance their roster and currently have 4 players taking up 46.653 million or over half of the cap for next season. I would think most Toronto fans would rather get rid of Tavares but don't think he would not waive his NMC.

I would also take Tavares if the cost to acquire isn't much of anything.
Hey, sorry i deleted my post because i mixed unintentional the leavs and the bolts. The post didn´t make sense.^^

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Tennessee has no income tax and is a fantastic place to live. That should matter.

Adding a 100 point player is absolutely something we should be interested in.

The predators need TWO forwards. They need 1 or TWO defensemen. We need star talent. Marner is a star.

Stars have warts too. They are just really really good at what they are good at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad