Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
What if Barry is actually after Elias Lindholm?
Big centre? Could be signed for around $8 million which is cheaper than marner and roughly same age. Elias is a bit older but not much. Couple years.
I can’t see Forsberg being upset with his Swedish buddy feeding him the puck. Then O’Reilly should play where he should which is second line centre.

Forsberg Lindholm Nyquist
Novak O’Reilly Evangelista

Pretty solid top six.

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
Tennessee has no income tax and is a fantastic place to live. That should matter.

Adding a 100 point player is absolutely something we should be interested in.

The predators need TWO forwards. They need 1 or TWO defensemen. We need star talent. Marner is a star.

Stars have warts too. They are just really really good at what they are good at.
You are totally right, but i am afraid he isn´t a 100 point player without a close to 12 million star center?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
What if Barry is actually after Elias Lindholm?
Big centre? Could be signed for around $8 million which is cheaper than marner and roughly same age. Elias is a bit older but not much. Couple years.
I can’t see Forsberg being upset with his Swedish buddy feeding him the puck. Then O’Reilly should play where he should which is second line centre.

Forsberg Lindholm Nyquist
Novak O’Reilly Evangelista

Pretty solid top six.
Wouldn't mind Lindholm at all. Sortof had a down regular season but a solid post season. Just figured after what Vancouver paid for him, they'd be trying real hard to keep him. they have a fair amount of room to do it but they do have several UFAs (Zadorov, lindholm, joshua, myers) and Hronek as a RFA so that capspace may disappear quick depending on who they decide to keep. Joshua, Zadorov, and Myers were a big part of their physical play so if they let them walk that'll change alot of the team identity.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Also, Marner’s never going to hit 100 for us and in the West. He’s more of a PPG player in Nsh. So, trading Nyquist (40p) + Evangelista (40p) doesn’t sound like a deal where we are getting the needed offensive pop.
How do you know that? FF9 had 94pts and Josi had 85 pts this past season.
In 21-22 Josi had 96pts and Duchene had 86 with FF9 with 84pts.
Playing with the right teammates can do wonders for a scorer. It did for FF9 and Josi. Heck Duchene had his best ever that year as well. Scorer's feed off each other. I am not saying MM is or will be that guy but he has had seasons with 85, 94, 97 and 99 pts. He has not been below 61 pts ever so there is that to consider also. He just turned 27, 6'0" and 180lbs. If he is willing then make it happen! He could be the younger Paul Kariya that we saw at the end of his career for 2 seasons.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You are totally right, but i am afraid he isn´t a 100 point player without a close to 12 million star center?
Generally you aren't going to be able to consistently elevate a player well beyond their capabilities just by putting them with great linemates. It happens--Zach Hyman's goal production with Edmonton is absolutely mind-bogglingly ridiculous, Jonathan Cheechoo-esque. It's the same reasoning people used to invalidate the quality of our defensemen continuously over the years--Klein, Hamhuis, Suter, Weber, Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, etc... were all just products of their defensive partners or the defensive scheme in the eyes of fans around the league.

In short, you don't become a consistent 90+ point player if you're a chump. Yes, you can be a 75-point player that is pushed into the 90 point range, If we're taking a chance though, I'm putting more stock in a guy that has hit 90 points multiple times (e.g. Marner) being able to maintain a higher level of play than I am in a guy that's hit 70 points once being able to elevate his play (e.g. Necas)

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Lindholm makes too much damn sense...but not for the right reasons....because we clearly got too much production from our 1C this year based on most of our franchise history. We need to correct this and put a 55 point player back into this role.

• Haha
Reactions: ShagDaddy

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Wouldn't mind Lindholm at all. Sortof had a down regular season but a solid post season. Just figured after what Vancouver paid for him, they'd be trying real hard to keep him. they have a fair amount of room to do it but they do have several UFAs (Zadorov, lindholm, joshua, myers) and Hronek as a RFA so that capspace may disappear quick depending on who they decide to keep. Joshua, Zadorov, and Myers were a big part of their physical play so if they let them walk that'll change alot of the team identity.
Lindholm would look great in gold!
Get Forsberg and Nyquist to make some calls!!

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Lindholm makes too much damn sense...but not for the right reasons....because we clearly got too much production from our 1C this year based on most of our franchise history. We need to correct this and put a 55 point player back into this role.
Lindholm is usually better than Oreilly and Oreilly is pushing 35 years of age… someone like Lindholm would give us stability at centre. Plus we have a lot of good winger prospects so Elias makes sense.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Lindholm is usually better than Oreilly and Oreilly is pushing 35 years of age… someone like Lindholm would give us stability at centre. Plus we have a lot of good winger prospects so Elias makes sense.
O'Reilly actually has a higher career PPG average (works out to about 3 more points a season), and considering what Lindholm will cost, it might be a push at this point. It would obviously help our C depth quite a bit though.

Predigree

Dec 4, 2015
Ebensee, Austria
One final question, we all was hyped for Johansen (first 1C for the Preds? we loved it), Turris,(Yeah, one two punch ) and Duchene the best of the three (he was good in my opinion)?
All of them cost us still money for different years for nothing (Buyout)

Marner sounds like exactly the same. Of course this time we are right^^.

Reactions: hockey diva

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
One final question, we all was hyped for Johansen (first 1C for the Preds? we loved it), Turris,(Yeah, one two punch ) and Duchene the best of the three (he was good in my opinion)?

There is the same risk with every player acquired. I guess my question in response is how do we expect to get the high-talent players we need to truly compete if we aren't willing to risk them being another Johansen, Duchene, or Turris and we never finish low enough to draft them? None of the above were ever PPG+ players for as many years as Marner has either.

It absolutely could be a mistake, and one that ends in a buyout, but you rarely have the opportunity to grab players of this talent level in their prime.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022

I don't think Johansen was a waste of an acquisition. In fact it's hard to argue we didn't win that trade. His playoff performances in 17 and 18 alone were worth a ton to us. Duchene buyout was controversial for a reason, although his good seasons were less impactful since the team was on a backslide by that time. Turris was obviously a disaster.

Marner is far closer to the elite tier of production than any of those guys though. Only one that has really come close is Duchene and he was never consistently up there, plus he didn't really play defense either.

Reactions: PredsV82

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

Or they could be Eichel, or Seguin (who will be a top 4 scorer in Stars history) or Jeff Carter when he was younger.

Hell, maybe even Thornton if you wanna go even further back

Reactions: PredsV82

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
The wrench of logic.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
No interest in Necas or Lindholm. These are B players at best. If there is an elite forward available, you go get them.

We didn’t go after Stone because of what? Tolvanen might turn into something? Same thing with Tkachuk, that’s a guy I want on this team. They’re difference makers.

Jimmy Johnson said it best years ago, I don’t care what a guy does at the combine, I want to see game film and if they’re making plays game in and game out. Emmitt Smith wasn’t the fastest or biggest guy out there but he sure made a heck of a lot of good plays.

All that to say, the only way you get better is add better players. Unless you have 9 forwards that are all second line talents, the way the roster as it currently stands won’t make deep playoff runs.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
RyJo, Duchene, and Turris are on a compeltely different level from Marner. Marner is an A+ player, those guys in their best seasons were more like B+/A- guys
Also to be fair....
RyJo had several good years but injuries have caught up with him over the years.

Duchene is still just as good as when we got him. Trotz just decided he didn't want him here.

Turris just fell off a flipping cliff. That one definitely stings.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
All this praise of Lindholm seems out of touch with the abysmal season he just had? :dunno:

I might gamble something like 3x$6M on him all the same, just because we have enough Cap to gamble a bit. But there is no freaking way I’d go for the 7x$8M he seems likely to get.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think Johansen was a waste of an acquisition. In fact it's hard to argue we didn't win that trade. His playoff performances in 17 and 18 alone were worth a ton to us. Duchene buyout was controversial for a reason, although his good seasons were less impactful since the team was on a backslide by that time. Turris was obviously a disaster.

Marner is far closer to the elite tier of production than any of those guys though. Only one that has really come close is Duchene and he was never consistently up there, plus he didn't really play defense either.
You lost me with your first two sentences here. Johansen was a lazy primadonna that got paid and stopped putting in effort. Quite possibly my most disliked pred ever. Dude did not care at all about this team.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You lost me with your first two sentences here. Johansen was a lazy primadonna that got paid and stopped putting in effort. Quite possibly my most disliked pred ever. Dude did not care at all about this team.
I don't know if it was really effort for a large part of the time--though as his time wound down here it definitely seemed that was a problem. From what was seen of his off-ice/off-season persona it feels like he was a guy that was just good at hockey but didn't really "live" hockey, if that makes any sense (contrast to a guy like MacKinnon or the prototype diehard, Gary Roberts, whose off-season and training regimens are legendary). I don't have a lot of doubts he did give his all during most seasons, but there was so much wasted potential and ability because he just didn't want/care to put the effort in to get there. He's also one of those stereotypical "lumbering" big guys that doesn't ever look like he's trying, even if that's not the case.

There's a pretty good pool of disliked former Preds (Turris, AK47, Rads, Ribeiro, etc...) I'd have to go through before I get to Johansen.

Reactions: predhead1 and weeze

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
RyJo, Duchene, and Turris are on a compeltely different level from Marner. Marner is an A+ player, those guys in their best seasons were more like B+/A- guys
Correct. And I think Lindholm would join that first list sooner rather than later. He's looking to cash in BIG, let someone else take the bait.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad