TSN: Nashville Aquires James Neal from Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Wrong Box Legwand

Jul 29, 2013
I think it worked out. Rather than trading Hornqvist and Spaling for Spezza, we traded them for an elite scoring wing and now have the ability to also sign a good center for him. Almost like he did us a favor. That's IF we can get a center though.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada
I think it worked out. Rather than trading Hornqvist and Spaling for Spezza, we traded them for an elite scoring wing and now have the ability to also sign a good center for him. Almost like he did us a favor. That's IF we can get a center though.

True.

Much rather have Neal and Fiala then one year of Spezza. Fiala was my favorite prospect by far.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Unless he was going to sign an extension, this would have been a dumb trade. I like it that Poile is being aggressive, I just hope he isnt so desperate that he does something damaging long term just to get us back to the playoffs next year.

Completely agree. If, instead of Neal, we got Spezza (a one-year rental) for Horns, Spals, and the 11th, we would have gotten hosed. Much happier that it worked out the way it did.

That said, it is a shame that we can't still add Spezza.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Just watched Poile's interview at the preds site after the draft. The Neal trade only started happening a few days before the draft. He had kept in touch with Rutherford over the years and then talked to him after he was named the pens GM and that both were wanting to make some changes on their teams. Rutherford talked to some other teams and then it happened right there on draft day.

Tapp

Nov 15, 2008
As a Preds season ticket holder – I hope it ALL works out with Neal. Even though I try not to have a favorite player, truth is, Hörnqvist was easily my favorite player on the team. So, I hate - hate - that he was traded.

If anyone wants to run it through an online translator, below is a link to the first article I’ve seen with Hörnqvist’s reaction to the trade.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2014/06/29/hornqvists-chockartade-uppvaknande-ett-trejdsamtal/

Amongst players who asked to be traded, left when their contract was up, took advantage of the avenues available to them to wring the last possible dollar out of the team, won’t sign here as free agents, don’t want to be traded here – one of the things I’ll remember about Hörnqvist’s time as a Predator was that he called his agent and told him he wanted to be here and to get a deal done.

If Johan Alm ever wears a Preds jersey or gets traded for a player who does, I suppose that will be Hörnqvist’s last assist for Nashville. When asked in the Swedish press why he choose Nashville one of the things he listed was Patric Hörnqvist calling him and telling him about Nashville.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Anyone else a little curious why no statements from Neal or from any players have come up? Neal was traded before his NTC kicked in. He knows, as of now, he doesn't have a center anywhere near Malkin's caliber to play with. Hopefully he wants to come to Nashville and Poile can pick up a center that he's happy with. I'd hate to see a Jeff Carter situation happen.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Anyone else a little curious why no statements from Neal or from any players have come up? Neal was traded before his NTC kicked in. He knows, as of now, he doesn't have a center anywhere near Malkin's caliber to play with. Hopefully he wants to come to Nashville and Poile can pick up a center that he's happy with. I'd hate to see a Jeff Carter situation happen.

I'm a little concerned about this as well. Assuming I wasn't a Nashville fan, I wouldn't be too thrilled about being dealt from a contender where the (arguably) 2nd best player is my center to a mediocre at best team that lacks any good playmakers. Not to mention they're a media spotlight and we're a small market team.

Some guys when they get traded take the attitude of "Fine, these guys actually want me, so I'll work my ass of for them" (Jack Johnson to CBJ). Some take it much worse (Jeff Carter to CBJ).

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm a little concerned about this as well. Assuming I wasn't a Nashville fan, I wouldn't be too thrilled about being dealt from a contender where the (arguably) 2nd best player is my center to a mediocre at best team that lacks any good playmakers. Not to mention they're a media spotlight and we're a small market team.

Some guys when they get traded take the attitude of "Fine, these guys actually want me, so I'll work my ass of for them" (Jack Johnson to CBJ). Some take it much worse (Jeff Carter to CBJ).

Maybe Neal is actually going to be at the Poile presser today? (or did I dream that about a 5PM Poile presser today?)

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Guys, poile will get a centre in the next week or so, I'm sure of it, he would have never made this trade if he didn't think he could land a centre for mr.neal.
It's been so long since we have needed a guy like Neal, we should all be so happy and ecstatic about this!

I am insanely happy to tell me buddies James Neal is a predator!!! Can't wait for free agency and more trades to happen!!!

Once again,
Welcome to Smashville James! Can't wait to see you in gold brother!!!

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Hey guys, Pens fan here. Good luck with James Neal. He should be a 25 goal guy. 30-40 with a playmaking C like Paul Stastny. Don't be suprised if NSH signs Brad Richards, him and Neal played together in Dallas. I have no doubt Hornqvist will score 30 goals with Sid or Geno. He's EXACTLY what we need. I was a big James Neal fan, but he was a perimeter sniper and apparently wasn't the nicest guy in the room or to the media. He wasn't physical, didn't force turnovers and is somewhat streaky. So I hope that he rounds out his game in Nashville.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Hey guys, Pens fan here. Good luck with James Neal. He should be a 25 goal guy. 30-40 with a playmaking C like Paul Stastny. Don't be suprised if NSH signs Brad Richards, him and Neal played together in Dallas. I have no doubt Hornqvist will score 30 goals with Sid or Geno. He's EXACTLY what we need. I was a big James Neal fan, but he was a perimeter sniper and apparently wasn't the nicest guy in the room or to the media. He wasn't physical, didn't force turnovers and is somewhat streaky. So I hope that he rounds out his game in Nashville.

we are drowning in physical guys who full of character, are great in the locker room and who also couldn't put the puck in the net if I was playing goalie. We are in dire need of a real honest to goodness sniper. Im good with a couple of years of Richards if that makes Neal a 30+ scorer...

Last edited:

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
I would be willing to trade Jones for E. Staal without a doubt. We need a number one center who at his best is a franchise player a hell of a lot more than we need a d-man loaded with potential. We can easily acquire an RHD in FA to take Jones' spot. We have Ellis who could end up being another Shattenkirk too.

What do you think is most likely to get us a Cup, 2 #1 defensemen and a true 1C or 3 #1 defensemen and no true 1C?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
we are drowning in physical guys who full of character, are great in the locker room and who also couldn't put the puck in the net if I was playing goalie. We are in dire need of a real honest to goodness sniper. Im good with a couple of years of Richards if that makes new a 30+ scorer...

Lol at the thought of you in net.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
As a Preds season ticket holder РI hope it ALL works out with Neal. Even though I try not to have a favorite player, truth is, H̦rnqvist was easily my favorite player on the team. So, I hate - hate - that he was traded.

If anyone wants to run it through an online translator, below is a link to the first article I’ve seen with Hörnqvist’s reaction to the trade.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2014/06/29/hornqvists-chockartade-uppvaknande-ett-trejdsamtal/

Bing Translate

In the middle of the night the phone rang at the home of Patric Hornqvist. When striker yrvaket lifted the handset, it was clear that he was no longer a Nashville player. It was the Predators GM David Poile, who was on the thread.
-First thoughts went to the House and all the friends we have in Nashville that you now are forced to leave, "said H. to quivermag.blogspot.com 10 minutes ago.

Patric Hornqvist was picked by Nashville in seventh round of the 2005 draft. He made his debut for the Club three years later and has remained there for all of his first six NHL seasons. It therefore came as a great shock when striker at home in Sweden was awakened by a call from Nashville GM David Poile night on Saturday.
-They rang and woke me and Poile said to me that "sorry, but you've been trejdad". It was, of course, shocking and was hard to take in when you just brought up and got the news, "says H. to quivermag.blogspot.com 10 minutes ago.
-First thoughts went to the House and all the friends we have in Nashville that you now are forced to leave. Otherwise, it's hard to explain how to react. In the beginning I thought almost that it was all a dream. It was surreal in some way, that they are forced to leave a place where you can find everywhere to start something new.

After Hornqvist recovered from the worst shock, however, he realized pretty quickly that it is also a great opportunity to come to a team like Pittsburgh, a team that every year is going to win the Stanley Cup.
-First thought when I heard that it was Pittsburgh I been trejdad to was that it is a good team with a new GM, a new coach and the two best players in the world.
"It is obviously a hell of an opportunity to be a top team that also may have a better and stronger Organization than Nashville.

"BECOME RATHER TRADED AGAINST A GOOD PLAYER"

When Hornqvist may give their views on the Penguins, most of the low-profile loop two superstars, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
"It's clear that when you have the two most productive players in the world to build the team around them, Then it's all about winning.
-At the same time, I have seen that the team has many new contracts need to be written, and many pieces of the puzzle to fall into place. It is, however, no doubt that it is a team that wants to win and it's going to be fun to be on the race.

Photo: All Over Press

To Hornqvist was traded against an established star like James Neal is also something he welcomes. This then somehow confirm that he himself also count as an established top players in the League.
-It is strictly a proof that you did something good. It is of course rather traded against a good player than an inferior. At the same time I find it hard to compare me with Neal then we are two different types of players.

Pittsburgh fans will surely have Neal as some kind of benchmark when assessing your bet. How do you feel about it?
-It is clear that it is shouldering his role Hanny haaany's picture page. I am not close to him when it comes to produce goals and points offensively. While hockey is about helping your team to win games and then have your effort over the course of an assessment.
-I will never produce that Neal, but hopefully I can join in and help take the team any further. Hockey is a team game and there are 19 other guys who also appears on the track. There will never be any individual contest between me and another player.

LOOKING FORWARD TO PLAY WITH CROSBY AND MALKIN

Hornqvist is coming off a season in which he hit a personal high score with 22 goals and 31 assists in 76 games. Then he in Penguins is likely to play at either Crosby or Malkin's train page, he has all the conditions to improve the listing further next winter.
-Of course it is a great opportunity for my part. Any forward of the caliber, I did not play with in Nashville, although there were talented players there, too.
"You can compare it with the situation we had with Roman Josi and Shea Weber in Nashville. I don't think Josi been equally sucessful right now if he hadn't been playing with Weber. You can really see the lift he has got the opportunity and I hope I can end up in a similar situation.
-Malkin and Crosby can do stuff that no one in Nashville, and I look forward to the chance to play with them at the same time, it is also up to me to prove that I'm going to have a place in any of the two top chains.

For H. awaits now an intense summer that now includes a move to Pittsburgh. Even though it feels heavy to leave all the friends in Nashville can still see an advantage of stockholmers to get into a team on the East Coast.
-It is clear that there will be a lot less travel and more time at home now. Considering that we have a three month old daughter now it feels extra good to get that time. Given how little she is, she has not had time to acquire some mates or in Nashville, which makes it easier to break up.
-It feels as though it is a

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I'm gonna miss Hornqvist. Class act.

He and Pittsburgh come to town on October 25th this year. I really hope we give him a tribute video and a standing O.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I'm gonna miss Hornqvist. Class act.

He and Pittsburgh come to town on October 25th this year. I really hope we give him a tribute video and a standing O.

No doubt he will get that tribute from the organization and the fans. The preds picked him dead last in the draft and gave him the opportunity to play in the NHL when many didn't think he didn't have a chance. He was a great player for the preds and wish him nothing but the best in Pittsburgh. I'm sure the fact that he is going with Spaling will help as well as they will at least know someone on a new team.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
No doubt he will get that tribute from the organization and the fans. The preds picked him dead last in the draft and gave him the opportunity to play in the NHL when many didn't think he didn't have a chance. He was a great player for the preds and wish him nothing but the best in Pittsburgh. I'm sure the fact that he is going with Spaling will help as well as they will at least know someone on a new team.

He might even put up career best stats this coming season playing along side either Malkin or Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad