Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Updated Capwages a good replacement for CapFriendly. https://capwages.com/

• Close by no cigar

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • It will do until something better

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • I like https://www.spotrac.com/nhl

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I'm dropping another

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
They won’t move reaves, he provides something nobody else does. When he’s on, we all love him. Holmberg is the new Jarnkrok imo.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
They won’t move reaves, he provides something nobody else does. When he’s on, we all love him. Holmberg is the new Jarnkrok imo.
What does he provide? He's a fourth-liner that isn't good defensively, doesn't provide depth scoring, doesn't PK

This enforcer build has been long played out on Toronto with Martin, Simmonds, Reaves. It accomplishes very little

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, it was Dermott and Johnsson for Weegar that Friedman claimed was rejected by Dubas. It was later refuted by Zito, but I can't seem to find any evidence of that now.

In any case, that would have been such a lopsided trade, that it doesn't even pass the sniff test. Dubas would be banned from the NHL had he actually rejected, and Zito as well if he made that trade. While many didn't realize it, Weegar had already broken out as a fantastic D, but the points weren't there yet so most didn't notice him. I was talking about him in Feb 2020 as someone we should target...posted this in March 2020.

Dermott + Johnsson isn't going to move the needle for many teams, that have what we really need. I mean, Weegar, Manson... pick a few other names Weegar is cheap for Florida, and they are looking to cut salary, so the odds they move him are slim

Reactions: Sypher04

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yes, it was Dermott and Johnsson for Weegar that Friedman claimed was rejected by Dubas. It was later refuted by Zito, but I can't seem to find any evidence of that now.

In any case, that would have been such a lopsided trade, that it doesn't even pass the sniff test. Dubas would be banned from the NHL had he actually rejected, and Zito as well if he made that trade. While many didn't realize it, Weegar had already broken out as a fantastic D, but the points weren't there yet so most didn't notice him. I was talking about him in Feb 2020 as someone we should target...posted this in March 2020.

In hindsight, it seems very lopsided, but Dermott and Johnsson had some value back then.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
What does he provide? He's a fourth-liner that isn't good defensively, doesn't provide depth scoring, doesn't PK

This enforcer build has been long played out on Toronto with Martin, Simmonds, Reaves. It accomplishes very little
Insurance so others don’t take liberties with our top players. Physicality, energy. He doesn’t need to pk or score. That’s his role, and nobody else can fill it right now. For that reason, the leafs see value in him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Right, I forgot it was Dermott and Johnsson.

Thanks for posting but don’t post it too loudly as this piece seems to rankle some to no end and leads to an immediate and blanket denial, followed by the assertion that it was a made up media rumor and will be summarily dismissed…..

The immediate denials will then be Liked by the Dubasites here who can’t tolerate any besmirching of their idols legacy.

Or just maybe similarly to how you didn’t remember certain details, I also misremembered elements of this.

There is no agenda in my post. I didn’t remember your post as being accurate so I responded as I would anything else. Turns out I was wrong in this particular case, and I accept that. I could not care less about spinning a narrative, defending Dubas or his legacy.

It would be nice if we could just talk hockey and leave this supporter/detractor stupidity out of it.

Reactions: LeafSteel

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving has some tough decisions ahead of him. The start of the 2024-25 season is just over a week away and the Leafs are currently over the salary cap. He has no choice but to make at least one trade, maybe two. At this point, it’s not ‘if’ a move is coming, it’s ‘when’.

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, he feels Treliving has a couple of likely trade candidates in depth forwards Calle Jarnkrok and David Kampf. Dreger made a guest appearance on First Up via TSN 1050 and identified the Leafs’ bottom-six duo as a couple of players to watch. “So to comply with the cap, who are we looking at? I’m looking at guys like Jarnkrok, and maybe David Kampf,” stated Dreger.

“They’re decent players. There’s a reliability concern for me when I look at Jarnkrok. I mean if he’s not available, then he’s not helping you. But, he’s been around the National Hockey League long enough that I think you could find a fresh start for him, a new home for him.”

Jarnkrok has been dealing with a lower-body injury throughout training camp and has been held out of multiple preseason games. He’s coming off an injury-riddled season, missing 30 games in 2023-24. Jarnkrok hasn’t played more than 73 games in the past five seasons. The versatile forward has two seasons left on his contract at $2.1 million per season and holds a 10-team no-trade clause.

Kampf also holds a modified 10-team no-trade clause. Treliving extended the Czechia native on a four-year, $2.4-million AAV deal last summer. Kampf’s defensive awareness and commitment to his 4C role is something Dreger feels could appeal to head coach Craig Berube, and increase Kampf’s chances of staying in Toronto.

“David Kampf is a safe fourth-line centre. He gives you everything he has and Berube might love that.”

While Dreger identified Jarnkrok and Kampf as potential trade targets, he also dished on Nick Robertson’s future and feels the media isn’t being fair, when it comes to the trade attention Robertson’s received in camp. It’s obvious Dreger feels due to Robertson’s affordable salary and scoring potential, he could be a reliable secondary scoring option for the Leafs.

“So, I’m just saying, we keep looking collectively as a media at Nick Robertson being the obvious guy who’s going to get pushed out, and I don’t think that’s fair,” Dreger continued. “He’s (Robertson) actually had a really good camp. We’re so quick to look at Robertson because he wanted out, and he did, until he didn’t.”

Regardless of who Treliving decides on dealing, there’s very little doubt at least one trade is coming before opening night on Oct. 9.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Or just maybe similarly to how you didn’t remember certain details, I also misremembered elements of this.

There is no agenda in my post. I didn’t remember your post as being accurate so I responded as I would anything else. Turns out I was wrong in this particular case, and I accept that. I could not care less about spinning a narrative, defending Dubas or his legacy.

It would be nice if we could just talk hockey and leave this supporter/detractor stupidity out of it.
O issues with anything you say here and my post was not directed at you.

I was speaking to how this specific trade rumour elicits an immediate knee jerk dismissal in some people, every single time it is ever mentioned.

Like him or not, Friedman is given a national platform and this is what he posted.

A lot of what if’s but what sticks with me is the crapping on posts that even mention it, with nothing other than “Zito wouldn’t do that”.

No one here knows what conversations happen/don’t happen between GM’s to say what has or hasn’t been discussed.

All we have is what supposed Insiders have to say, and are, like him or not, Elliott Friedman is one of the main ones.

Would love to talk hockey with people who don’t have a sworn allegiance to anything or anyone other than the Toronto Maple Leafs but the amount of crap one has to wade through here is making it less and less worthwhile.

Last edited:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Insurance so others don’t take liberties with our top players. Physicality, energy. He doesn’t need to pk or score. That’s his role, and nobody else can fill it right now. For that reason, the leafs see value in him.
When has that stopped anyone? In the playoffs Marchand was still running around playing like a rat, McAvoy suplexed Matthews in game 3 to no response

Reaves will only fight bums and he will never be on the ice to retaliate on the other team's stars. The Leafs stars have to defend themselves, not wait for Reaves to go fight a 12th forward as a form of retaliation. While I'm sure he's a great lockerroom guy and everyone loves him, what he does accomplishes next to nothing

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
When has that stopped anyone? In the playoffs Marchand was still running around playing like a rat, McAvoy suplexed Matthews in game 3 to no response

Reaves will only fight bums and he will never be on the ice to retaliate on the other team's stars. The Leafs stars have to defend themselves, not wait for Reaves to go fight a 12th forward as a form of retaliation. While I'm sure he's a great lockerroom guy and everyone loves him, what he does accomplishes next to nothing
He also keeps tigers away.

1727546401318.png

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Not too mention, when Marchard injured Liljegren, Reaves was in the game.
I saw a good comment and it's true. Players like Reaves don't keep the flies off, they attract them.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
In hindsight, it seems very lopsided, but Dermott and Johnsson had some value back then.
Had some value... but even back in 2020 I posted that they really "weren't going to move the needle" for other teams. I mean we ended up moving Johnsson for a second, and giving away Dermott not long after, that's not enough, nor was it ever for a good D man.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Not too mention, when Marchard injured Liljegren, Reaves was in the game.
I saw a good comment and it's true. Players like Reaves don't keep the flies off, they attract them.
The issue with the 'protection' angle is obvious. Reaves is strictly a goon, as such he's only "allowed" to fight other goons.

So Marchand and 95%+ of players in the league know Reaves can't do anything. So he can only protect from other goons, except if you're also a goon and Reaves stops you from doing your job then you won't have a job very long.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The issue with the 'protection' angle is obvious. Reaves is strictly a goon, as such he's only "allowed" to fight other goons.

So Marchand and 95%+ of players in the league know Reaves can't do anything. So he can only protect from other goons, except if you're also a goon and Reaves stops you from doing your job then you won't have a job very long.

I mean, if Reaves really wanted to he could’ve gone full psycho and just grabbed Marchand and started whaling on him. Or taken a run at Pastrnak or McAvoy. Anything but doing nothing would’ve sufficed. Reaves got better later in the year but that was a bad moment.

Really though, it should’ve been one of Bertuzzi or Domi going after Marchand. Or any of our supposed leaders on this team.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I mean, if Reaves really wanted to he could’ve gone full psycho and just grabbed Marchand and started whaling on him. Or taken a run at Pastrnak or McAvoy. Anything but doing nothing would’ve sufficed. Reaves got better later in the year but that was a bad moment.

Really though, it should’ve been one of Bertuzzi or Domi going after Marchand. Or any of our supposed leaders on this team. Anything but doing nothing would’ve sufficed.

That was just an embarrassing moment as a Leafs fan. Anyone should have handled Marchand for that.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville

Leafs stars aren’t going to engage in that stuff, and you shouldn’t want them to. Don’t want to see them in the box, or even better, get hurt? Once he is gone and other teams will take more liberties… then what? Skill guys gonna fight? No chance. We don’t need that from our stars. We need them to be able to play through that stuff, but they will never bring it. That’s not who they are.

You might not value Reaves, and that’s perfectly fine. But Berube has made it clear that everyone has a role on the team. Reaves has his there is nobody that can replace it, even if he only sees 30 games and 7 min of ice. There are other players that are redundant.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
All due respect to Dreger I think that Treliving is looking at the players we've talked about for months and months. Kampf and Jarnkrok, along with Robertson and Liljegren.

I think we have some insiders on this board, bringing up Kampf, Jarnkrok, Robertson and Liljegren as possible trade candidates.

SHOCKING NEWS.

Shocking I tell you!!!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs stars aren’t going to engage in that stuff, and you shouldn’t want them to. Don’t want to see them in the box, or even better, get hurt? Once he is gone and other teams will take more liberties… then what? Skill guys gonna fight? No chance. We don’t need that from our stars. We need them to be able to play through that stuff, but they will never bring it. That’s not who they are.

You might not value Reaves, and that’s perfectly fine. But Berube has made it clear that everyone has a role on the team. Reaves has his there is nobody that can replace it, even if he only sees 30 games and 7 min of ice. There are other players that are redundant.

He isn't a deterrent.

All due respect to Dreger I think that Treliving is looking at the players we've talked about for months and months. Kampf and Jarnkrok, along with Robertson and Liljegren.

I think we have some insiders on this board, bringing up Kampf, Jarnkrok, Robertson and Liljegren as possible trade candidates.

SHOCKING NEWS.

Shocking I tell you!!!

It's like the media read the forum, and then printed the commonly posted stuff.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013

SHOCKING NEWS.

Shocking I tell you!!!
Honestly - it’s time for Treliving to show some balls and make a hockey trade.

Get an upgrade at Centre or RD - with using
Kampf
Robertson
Lilly
Jarnkrok

Should be enough

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Honestly - it’s time for Treliving to show some balls and make a hockey trade.

Get an upgrade at Centre or RD - with using
Kampf
Robertson
Lilly
Jarnkrok

Should be enough

Who is selling those things at this time of year?

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
A non contender team - looking to grab 2 younger players (Robertson/Liljegren) with some upside and a team that understands you can flip both Kampf and Jarnkrok at the deadline for picks.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

Engaging in that stuff is what the stars on other players do. It wasn't Boston's 4th liners going at the Leafs stars, it was their best players doing it.

Reaves won't stop other stars from doing it to our guys nor will he get our stars to start doing it, rendering his usefulness very minimal. Berube did say everyone has a role on the team, but he also explicitly stated that doesn't necessarily mean fighting and highlighted that his Blues teams were last in the league in fighting majors. He just wants players to play hard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad