TSN: Nashville Aquires James Neal from Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
There is a reason hockey fans do not listen to certian people and truthfully I had never heard of this guy. But first impressions are lasting that station blew it for me. And I will take it as a compliment that I am critical. I guess I was not critical enough on Trotz to please those that do not like my opinions here but thats ok. Im not going to change. I prefer to live in the real world and tend not to love change just for change sake, nor do I prefer to just go blindly into being happy when this team puts so many unproven players on the Ice I have spoken with my pocket book refusing to purchase tickets until this ship is set right. And I hold my right to speak my opinion no matter how many do not like it. In fact it has become kinda entertaining. To the point that one person here wanted to harm me physically I suppose. Quite comical really.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
There is a reason hockey fans do not listen to certian people and truthfully I had never heard of this guy. But first impressions are lasting that station blew it for me. And I will take it as a compliment that I am critical. I guess I was not critical enough on Trotz to please those that do not like my opinions here but thats ok. Im not going to change. I prefer to live in the real world and tend not to love change just for change sake, nor do I prefer to just go blindly into being happy when this team puts so many unproven players on the Ice I have spoken with my pocket book refusing to purchase tickets until this ship is set right. And I hold my right to speak my opinion no matter how many do not like it. In fact it has become kinda entertaining. To the point that one person here wanted to harm me physically I suppose. Quite comical really.

The best thing about WNSR and CC is that they are not regulated by the Predators. Which is big for me. I would rather listen to a dude who talks hockey and speaks his opinion good or bad. If you want to listen to corporate regulated media guys like Cooper, 102.5, and the others you are correct that is your right.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
One would think that information of that sort would be prominent on the Nashville Predators website but, as is usual, nothing imminent is posted, only stuff that already happened. I checked the tweets, too. Nothing.

However, WNSR Radio 560 tweeted that it would be heavy in Preds related stuff from 3-6 so maybe it'll be carried on there.

From Predneck Nation: Crazy Charlie will be hosting on WNSR 560AM/95.9FM today from 3-6 CT & will be talking Preds W/Craig Button! Would love to hear your opinions on draft & Neal trade at 615-844-5600. Support Hockey on the radio by calling or tweeting @CrazyCharlie615

Heh, you gotta be CRAZY around here to like the hockey programs, right?

The PREDS flagship station show devoted its first hour and a half to recapping the host's vacation and rehashing Vandy's national championship baseball win. :shakehead And we wonder why this still isn't considered a serious hockey market.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The PREDS flagship station show devoted its first hour and a half to recapping the host's vacation and rehashing Vandy's national championship baseball win. :shakehead And we wonder why this still isn't considered a serious hockey market.

Wow I was not alone in being disgusted.

I do not like to listen or read Cooper in any way. I do admit that he gets alot of inside stuff however. I never like Plaster either and cringe every time I see Mark Howard. Farnkly the coverage has been pitiful since inception. I think Willy has done a pretty good job and I like to hear Stu mostly due to his ability to relate whats going on as a former NHL player. Shoot I like Terry Crisp but not for his commentary but he is a funny guy, yeah the slapstick gets old but he has forgotton more about hockey than any of us will ever know. He is also a straight shooter when you talk to him one on one away from his responsabilities, even better after a couple adult beverages. I also respect Paul Mcann and consider him a personal friend.

The issue is ego with many of the people that try to profess they know more about hockey than they actually do (Plaster and Howard). This bleads over into fans as well. I do not allege I know everything about this game but there are sure a bunch arround that do. I admit all my opinions are not right it would be nice if others did the same.

There is no one way to be a fan and one does not have to degrade others by generalities like is often done in HF in an attempt to disprove someone else. At times one feels like that they must post refrences here to keep from being flamed. And why? There is a handful of keyboard warriors that are so shallow they will not consider opposing opinion. Thats fine its all fun.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Looks like this thread has turned towards a topic popular among Preds fans since... I don't know... the early 2000s? :laugh:

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Looks like this thread has turned towards a topic popular among Preds fans since... I don't know... the early 2000s? :laugh:

It's been 18 or so years since the Predators have been in Nashville as a franchise and they're still treated as a red headed step child in this market ... I now refuse to listen to those clowns at all.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I do think there is a chance that Neal will view this like Arnott did when he first got here and got out of Modano's shadow in Dallas, namely, that he can be "the man" on offense, whereas in pittsburgh even scoring 40 goals he was 3rd fiddle at best...

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I do think there is a chance that Neal will view this like Arnott did when he first got here and got out of Modano's shadow in Dallas, namely, that he can be "the man" on offense, whereas in pittsburgh even scoring 40 goals he was 3rd fiddle at best...

Neal is a professional and will do his best to take this team forward. Too bad he does not have the supporting cast to go where it could. Now if Poile can go out and sign a true 1C I will eat these words but im afraid Neal has been put into a situation where he far outclasses any other forward on the team and can't reproduce the numbers he did playing with real 1st line talent. Go ahead Poile prove me wrong im waiting.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Us Nashville fans aren't allowed to be excited about anyone we get in a trade. Not Forsberg, not Järnkrok, and now, not Neal. Happens every time. :shakehead

I see this as a total Lavy move. I think he told Poile "That's our guy" just for his system. That and Fiala, just two things I don't see the Trotz/Poile duo doing. I'm excited.

I was never excited about Floppa. I thought that he was nearly washed up when he got to the Preds.

I was excited about Kariya. When I told my daughter about the trade, she thought that I was putting her on! Jarnkrok did well during his time in Milwaukee. I think that James Neal will help move Nashville into the playoffs. He isn't Sydney Crosby on offense, but on the upside, he isn't Sydney Crosby on defense.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I was never excited about Floppa. I thought that he was nearly washed up when he got to the Preds.

I was excited about Kariya. When I told my daughter about the trade, she thought that I was putting her on! Jarnkrok did well during his time in Milwaukee. I think that James Neal will help move Nashville into the playoffs. He isn't Sydney Crosby on offense, but on the upside, he isn't Sydney Crosby on defense.

I'm pretty sure Smilodon was talking about Filip Forsberg, not Peter

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
Neal is a professional and will do his best to take this team forward. Too bad he does not have the supporting cast to go where it could. Now if Poile can go out and sign a true 1C I will eat these words but im afraid Neal has been put into a situation where he far outclasses any other forward on the team and can't reproduce the numbers he did playing with real 1st line talent. Go ahead Poile prove me wrong im waiting.

I'm curious if you or anyone else on this board remember that Craig Smith is still on the team and that every year he gets progressively better and better? I know everyone wants a huge trade to get a proven guy...but I think we might actually be growing one from within. He's going to be more than capable to keep up with Neal and I think they will work well together. Yes, another piece would be great but I find it comical that everyone keeps saying there's no one on the team worthy of being on the first line.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012

You should definitely write the 102.5 brass and tell them what you think. That's the only way things will change. They do read their emails....they need to hear us though.

ChesterCopperpot1*

Considering Vandy baseball is the only team in this market to win a championship....it should be talk about it for 1 day and be done? Ok.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm curious if you or anyone else on this board remember that Craig Smith is still on the team and that every year he gets progressively better and better? I know everyone wants a huge trade to get a proven guy...but I think we might actually be growing one from within. He's going to be more than capable to keep up with Neal and I think they will work well together. Yes, another piece would be great but I find it comical that everyone keeps saying there's no one on the team worthy of being on the first line.

I remember Smith hes a third liner on a NHL playoff team. As for progressively better well his season last year will need to be repeated before that can be a true statment. The guy runs hot and cold even last year his best year he ad a 9 game streach without a point and a 21 game streach without a goal. That alone does not automatically anoint him to be on the first line with Neal.

Also please consider that Neal and Smith play the exact same style of hockey gliding into the slot seeking a pass or cleaning up a rebound. And I do not think theres much of an argument that Neal is a better finisher. So in my view haveing two player on the same line like that is counter productive to the line being successful.

If Smith can repeat his 20 goals from last year then perhaps it will be time to consider a larger role for him but the proof is in the pudding. he is just as likley to regress just as Wilson did are to match and beat his previous year. But that will be decided on the ice. There are numerious F/A out there that have proven they cal produce in the top 6 Vrbata Stempniak are two off the top of my head. Mason Raymond is also out there and if given a chance he would pass the litmus teast as well. He stifled in Vancouver behind there top two lines, was sent to the Leafs and did well considering the role he was put in.

Thge Preds have waited on potential forever and the last couple season the young guys have been given greater roles with very limited success. And I for one would point out that it is the reason the team is in the situation it is. Players not living up to there potential or regressing.

The team has some promising youg guys in the system that may be able to play top 6 in a few years but these guys are not Nathan McKinnon who can jump in at ply that role from the start. They must do there time on 3rd and 4th line to get ready for bigger and better things.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I remember Smith hes a third liner on a NHL playoff team. As for progressively better well his season last year will need to be repeated before that can be a true statment. The guy runs hot and cold even last year his best year he ad a 9 game streach without a point and a 21 game streach without a goal. That alone does not automatically anoint him to be on the first line with Neal.

Also please consider that Neal and Smith play the exact same style of hockey gliding into the slot seeking a pass or cleaning up a rebound. And I do not think theres much of an argument that Neal is a better finisher. So in my view haveing two player on the same line like that is counter productive to the line being successful.

If Smith can repeat his 20 goals from last year then perhaps it will be time to consider a larger role for him but the proof is in the pudding. he is just as likley to regress just as Wilson did are to match and beat his previous year. But that will be decided on the ice. There are numerious F/A out there that have proven they cal produce in the top 6 Vrbata Stempniak are two off the top of my head. Mason Raymond is also out there and if given a chance he would pass the litmus teast as well. He stifled in Vancouver behind there top two lines, was sent to the Leafs and did well considering the role he was put in.

Thge Preds have waited on potential forever and the last couple season the young guys have been given greater roles with very limited success. And I for one would point out that it is the reason the team is in the situation it is. Players not living up to there potential or regressing.

The team has some promising youg guys in the system that may be able to play top 6 in a few years but these guys are not Nathan McKinnon who can jump in at ply that role from the start. They must do there time on 3rd and 4th line to get ready for bigger and better things.
I'm not calling you out on anything, I'm just saying the negativity about our own guys throughout the course of this post is the exact point of why I'm so happy with the Lavy hire and the offensive direction Poile is looking to take us. It's very easy to look like your team is full of guys who don't reach their potential when the coach of 15 years runs a system that doesn't let them flourish offensively. I'm not convinced that guys like Wilson and Smith can't be very productive players in their role under an offensive-minded coach that knows how to win and develop young players (Staal, Giroux, etc).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm not calling you out on anything, I'm just saying the negativity about our own guys throughout the course of this post is the exact point of why I'm so happy with the Lavy hire and the offensive direction Poile is looking to take us. It's very easy to look like your team is full of guys who don't reach their potential when the coach of 15 years runs a system that doesn't let them flourish offensively. I'm not convinced that guys like Wilson and Smith can't be very productive players in their role under an offensive-minded coach that knows how to win and develop young players (Staal, Giroux, etc).

I was not so excited about Lavy's hire because I did not think Poile would give him the players to make his system work here. Of course I want more exciting hockey and Lavy will get every ounce of offense out of every player. As to Smith and Wilson they have not proven long term they are capiable ofplaying top 6 and they have had the opportunity. They are too inconsistant and for long streaches darn near invisable.

I have been pointed out as being negitive too often. But I am trying to be positive with Lavy and the team goning forweard. But Poile MUST give the guy the pieces he needs to run the system and im sorry the forwards from last years roster short of Jarnkrok and Forsberg are just not gonna do it.

The last day of the draft was another example. Craig Smith made such a impression on Lavy in the worlds that Lavy messed up and called him Ryan Smith. in that interview, Now did he mean Ryan Smyth or Craig Smith thats the question.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
The last day of the draft was another example. Craig Smith made such a impression on Lavy in the worlds that Lavy messed up and called him Ryan Smith. in that interview, Now did he mean Ryan Smyth or Craig Smith thats the question.

You can't be serious with this can you? A new coach messing up a name means nothing about their play.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I was not so excited about Lavy's hire because I did not think Poile would give him the players to make his system work here. Of course I want more exciting hockey and Lavy will get every ounce of offense out of every player. As to Smith and Wilson they have not proven long term they are capiable ofplaying top 6 and they have had the opportunity. They are too inconsistant and for long streaches darn near invisable.

I have been pointed out as being negitive too often. But I am trying to be positive with Lavy and the team goning forweard. But Poile MUST give the guy the pieces he needs to run the system and im sorry the forwards from last years roster short of Jarnkrok and Forsberg are just not gonna do it.

Agree to disagree I guess. I've long thought we have guys who can play, it was just hampered by the coaching philosophy, and others don't agree with me. We'll find out this year that's for sure.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Agree to disagree I guess. I've long thought we have guys who can play, it was just hampered by the coaching philosophy, and others don't agree with me. We'll find out this year that's for sure.

I fully understand your point. And if Poile signs proven top six guys Wilson and Smith will still get there chance under Lavy's system to prove that they can be larger contributors. But understand they had plenty of offensive chances under the old regime. I think Wilson has the talent to play a bigger role, he showed moments of brilliance but why he could not put it together more often I have no clue. I took alot of heat for being critical of Smith but at days end he still continues to struggle at finishing. And because he lead the forwards in scoring last year here is of little consequence. Someone had to lead the forwards. But his numbers last year were at best second line numbers on a good team. He will have to repeat or improve those numbers to move up on the depth chart in my opinion.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I fully understand your point. And if Poile signs proven top six guys Wilson and Smith will still get there chance under Lavy's system to prove that they can be larger contributors. But understand they had plenty of offensive chances under the old regime. I think Wilson has the talent to play a bigger role, he showed moments of brilliance but why he could not put it together more often I have no clue. I took alot of heat for being critical of Smith but at days end he still continues to struggle at finishing. And because he lead the forwards in scoring last year here is of little consequence. Someone had to lead the forwards. But his numbers last year were at best second line numbers on a good team. He will have to repeat or improve those numbers to move up on the depth chart in my opinion.
In fairness, he's time on ice numbers weren't near top 6 numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad