Post-Game Talk: Nash vs Dubinsky 1/6/14 (and some other guys played too)

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I will be very suprised if kreider is suspended. I mean james neal got 5 games for kicking a guys head off with his skate. Myers got 3 for going for a direct head hit. Kreider was clearly stopping, hit his shoulder not that hard.

5+3=8

8 games for Kreider.

Seriously the safety department uses logic that is unexplainable.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I have no problem moving impending UFAs on this roster. I just don't see that as acceptance of defeat. We got Moore, Brassard, Dorsett for Gaborik. A promising NHL youngster, middling 2nd-3rd line RFA center, and solid bottom 6 player on a good contract. We should be able to get at least a nice young roster player and prospect for our guys.

Man, would I love to have Foligno.

I think in our case, it kind of would be. We don't have enough depth for this year to overcome those loses, and we know it. It would be setting us up for the future. Not comparable to the Sharks last year, who identified Clowe and Murray as slow and not fitting into their system anymore. They got better by subtraction.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
Hank played fine, he should have had the 3rd goal stopped though. Glad the team faught back and got a few PP goals. Our D lets up so many bad chances per game. Theres a lot of goalies out there that dont have to deal with the amount of great chances that this team gives away. Every team gives up good shots and a few great shots, but I feel this team gave 10-15 great chances this game. Good news is we are scoring 10 goals in 2 games is something I did not think I would see this year. Hope Nash has more confidence after this one we are still in it in this weak ass division.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I'm the sort of person who things a shot in the playoffs is better than no shot. I'm not overly impressed by this years draft crop, either. Next years is something.

NYR can beat Pitt in a 7 game series. Just not in their current form. You forget how many mental problems Fleury and the Pitt defense have had int he postseason.

This is true in the sense that it's true for every team in the league: You can beat Pitt as long as Pitt beats themselves.

Which tends to happen.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I just hated getting rid of Dubi. I hated watching him in another teams uniform.

But now that I have, I hate him. I'll miss him but I now hate him.

I actually think these putzes are starting to play some hockey.

Kreider is turning into a monster in front of our eyes.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Actually he went for the poke check and Johansen deked around it.

Overall very disappointed with the effort after the tying goal. Looked like we gave up after that. Thought Lundqvist, Nash, and Stepan all had really good games. Zucc was frustrating at many points, power play was pretty flat but I'm willing to count it as a step forward if we follow it up and beat Chicago.

I know he did...should've been more specific...he waited way too long to pokecheck Johansen. He let him do whatever he wanted practically in his crease. Henrik couldnt make the quick decision.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Love that Nash showed up against the Jackets, especially with Dubinsky roasting us must of the night. He had a great game.

So was Kreider until the refs bent us the **** over.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I want Torts back.

Why so we could have an inadequate powerplay that wouldve failed to bring us back in the game like the units did tonight? Two powerplay goals tonight. Ranked 9th going in. PK also playing well.

Torts is a great defense first strategy coach. AV has a more uptempo system. The team is slowly starting to adjust. I dont agree with everything AV has done such as sitting Del Zotto and then when he actually plays, he pairs him with Moore for a circus act in our own end...BUT AV coaches for and around offense. After the Pittsburgh game AV altered the team's strategy more to the tune of Pittsburgh's game and that is crashing the net and getting a lot of shots. It worked in Toronto and imo tonight the rangers were the better team over columbus. AV's team has a much better transition game, as well as a more balanced special teams. Henrik has been mediocre. Had he been is usual self this team would be in a playoff spot right now.

Brassard was bad tonight. Hagelin has been invisible the last few weeks and occasional point on the stat sheet doesn't mean much. I thought Zuke was good tonight though some seem to be upset with him. He really just made that one mistake on that 3rd goal which Hank shouldve stopped. I wish Zuke would shoot more.

I am the same as Fitzy, I think it is better to make the playoffs and have a shot than have no shot at all. I don't see this team falling in the standings to get a top 10 pick. I'd only look to move Callahan. He just doesn't look himself. He is not throwing his weight around as much as we are used to. I dont know if he is saving it so he can make it to the Olympics and get through that. Trading Cally wouldn't hurt this team's chances of making the playoffs, especially with JT Miller playing the way he is. There is still time.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
They still have Defensive mistakes to clean up.
1 - Why was Dubi by his lonesome in the slot to deflect the first goal?
2 - What the hell was Stralman thinking on the second goal? And I thought he is such a good skater and has recovery speed.

Hank stole a point tonight, the team was outplayed in the latter half of the 3rd. Without his saves, it's a loss.

It was an entertaining game for the most part.

The Kreider penalty was a travesty, maybe 2 minute minor, maybe a 5 minute major, but a misconduct is a joke.

What happened to Hagelin?
Boyle with a great game on both sides of the puck.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
1) Dubi took Girardi hard into the boards and he was slow to get up right before the goal

2) Strålman is fast, Atkinson is really fast too.

I just watched the first two periods, but the Rangers were the best team overall, but Columbus were lucky with getting those chances they did.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
They still have Defensive mistakes to clean up.
1 - Why was Dubi by his lonesome in the slot to deflect the first goal?
2 - What the hell was Stralman thinking on the second goal? And I thought he is such a good skater and has recovery speed.

Hank stole a point tonight, the team was outplayed in the latter half of the 3rd. Without his saves, it's a loss.

It was an entertaining game for the most part.

The Kreider penalty was a travesty, maybe 2 minute minor, maybe a 5 minute major, but a misconduct is a joke.

What happened to Hagelin?
Boyle with a great game on both sides of the puck.

the man-to-man system takes a long time to learn... Torts uses Zone Defense because his defensive system requires little-to-no skill

Like I said earlier in this thread, this team needs to play out as is, and requires a re-evaluation the performance of THIS team around game #60 (which happens to 3 games prior to the March 5th Trade Deadline)...

If the defense is still in shambles, then we have major issues, and the majority of players will need to go...
If the offense does not pick up the pace and start putting away at least 3 goals per game, then we need more elite talent up in the top 6

if both of those things happen, then we need a rebuild, but i'm seriously doubting this will be the case...

Like most have said, a retool, not a rebuild, is what this team needs. I'm confident that with AV behind the team, and slats possibly ripping his hair out at this point (one can hope?)

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Despite two goals, I think Nash looked at lost as before. The Kreider penalty hurt us of course, shouldn't have been a major. But well, at least we got a point...

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Easiest and most obvious thing to do when any hockey team losses is to blame the goalie. I'm not sure why this board now does that every time Hank losses a game it seems automatically his fault. He's the goalie and will be for a very long time!

One point out f a game we trailed 3-1 in the third is a good thing. One month ago this was a sure loss. I saw the push back I've so wanted to see all season!

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Easiest and most obvious thing to do when any hockey team losses is to blame the goalie. I'm not sure why this board now does that every time Hank losses a game it seems automatically his fault. He's the goalie and will be for a very long time!

One point out f a game we trailed 3-1 in the third is a good thing. One month ago this was a sure loss. I saw the push back I've so wanted to see all season!

Blame the goalie? Henrik played well in the 3rd and better in OT. But should we ignore what is and has been going on this year? It continued in this game. Was he looking better? Sure. But he still looks unsure on some shots. His rebound control is nowhere near where it has been in the past. He is not reading the shot. Perfect example is the Atkinson slapshot from the point in OT. He wasn't screened much, if at all. Atkinson is a nice player but he isn't Shea Weber or Chara. Henrik couldn't handle the slapper. Could've easily trickled out of his glove and into the net. Thankfully it didn't. Henrik continues to get beat up high because the scouting report is out there. He goes down to his knees early and the shooter aims high. These are NHLers. He should've stopped Wiz's shot. Bottom line. I'm not going to badger him for the breakaway goal but Atkinson didn't do anything special on the play. I feel he should've stopped him but didn't. Couldn't come up with the big save there.

In the shootout he backed into his net too early on Letestu. He didn't cut off much and gave up too much. Henrik isn't challenging shooters aka the confidence just doesn't look like its there. We are used to Henrik shutting down Crosby in shootouts and yet he is backing into his crease against Letestu all too quickly. On Johansen's attempt he waited too long too poke check. I know he talks about being patient and waiting for the shooter to make the first move but Johansen had deked 4-5 times while Henrik again backed up.

I love Henrik but he is not exempt from criticism when he has proven to be an all world goaltender throughout his career thus far. I don't think its any decline in ability. It looks like a confidence issue. I've seen people complain that AV should keep going to Henrik so he can gain confidence...well sorry that's not the way it works when the backup as performed time and time again.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Don't know what people expect out of Hagelin. He's a streaky, 2nd/3rd line guy offensively. He's still effective when not scoring, though, and he has a lot of those "intanigbles".

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Don't know what people expect out of Hagelin. He's a streaky, 2nd/3rd line guy offensively. He's still effective when not scoring, though, and he has a lot of those "intanigbles".

Yeah, I got my expections up a bit on him during the lockout when he played in Sweden, he started to use his skating "with" the puck to his advantage to the same extent he is able to use it in the NHL "without" the puck.

But this year in the NHL, you can see him trying to make stuff happen with the puck. Small moves. Trys to hold on to it and maybe carry it across the attacknig zone or whatever. But it just seems so easy for Ds to strip him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kreider was impressive again. I think he's a special player.

He is coming along really well.

I also think its worth mentioning Pouliot. He is playing good hockey for us, especially away from the puck. I watched some old games before we got him and I didn't like him. His first 20-30 games here, it was more of the same. But I just think he is playing well lately. Winning a lot of tough battles etc.

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012

Hes so freakin hard to take down along the boards. I dont know why he doesnt get just as much praise for his battle as zucc. The size difference is negligible, and he's much younger. I really feel like with some better compliments than pouliot and brassard or richie, he would be a star.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Hes so freakin hard to take down along the boards. I dont know why he doesnt get just as much praise for his battle as zucc. The size difference is negligible, and he's much younger. I really feel like with some better compliments than pouliot and brassard or richie, he would be a star.

Well, he's only a year or two younger than Zuccarello, and I wouldn't say the size difference is negligible. Zuccarello is 5'6, Hagelin is closer to 5'10, 5'11. 6' is the average height. Both ARE great along the boards for their size, though.

I wouldn't say Hagelin is capable of being a "star". A very good supporting player, yes. I'd say he already is that. He's never going to be a big time point producer. He can make slick plays with the puck at times, but his hands are...inconsistent to say the least. He doesn't have much of a shot, either. Most of the time he's not exactly going to hold the puck on a string, but he does make some nice passes pretty routinely, and his motor never stops. His speed is incredibly disruptive in each zone. He can be a bit undisciplined with his stick at times, though.

Zuccarello, on the other hand, I could see having "star" potential. He's really been impressive night in and night out this year. He still makes some questionable plays with the puck at times (he's not Crosby, he'll have his flaws), but the mistakes have been greatly reduced and he's rounded out his game quite nicely. Even when he doesn't put up points, he's creating chances and battling for every puck. Never did I think I would see Zuccs taking regular shifts on the PK and excelling at it. He's got the brain, he's got the drive, and he's got the talent. He's proving that his size is irrelevant considering he's one of our strongest players and that he can be an effective player in close/tightly contested games. If he can improve his skating and his shot, no reason why he can't be a quality first liner, IMO. Patrick Kane-lite.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
the Callahan hate has to stop, especially since he had a good game. He did a lot of good things on the PP, on the forecheck and on the defense.

The DZ/JM pairing looked solid. DZ made a few good outlet passes and played okay defensively, one bad pinch that JM cut out for him aside. JM's skating is a thing of beauty, if someone could teach him a thing or two about positioning, that'd be neat and much appreciated.

MZA again had a few good little passes, but the big play just wouldn't happen today. I think him, Brass and Poo are a really solid line, but someone has to be able to finish off plays. If anyone would've suggested that line before this season, he would've earned himself an obnoxious rant about defensive responsibility. Poo is kinda good at reading the play of the defenders when on the forecheck. I've seen that a couple of games now, just in the right position. Brassard needs to burry one of those chances. Not sure if AV should break them up or give them a couple of games.

I thought the 4th line was very good again. They've toned it down to solid forechecking and just throwing pucks at the net, driving the net. None of that "look guise, I can dangles" stuff DM had going early in the season. I hope they continue like that.

and to try to be an ambassador between the "OMG, Hank was bad" and the "wtf are you talking about, he's played great" fractions. I think the problem is, at what he's paid, you want him to stop one of those goals, because he has a salary of a difference maker. I myself have got no issues with the goals he gave up, but I'm still concerned that he didn't stop one of them. The goals themselves were not soft or anything, but, especially in a breakaway situation, with the defender pressuring, this fanbase now expects Lundy to stop that 4 out of 5 times. It's not setting the standards too high, because Lundqvist himself set those standards. He kept them in the game late in the 3rd and in OT though, so give him credit.

And whatever in the world Stralman was thinking on the Atkinson play. Seriously. You know you're the last man, you know this kid is a speedy skater... Why the hell opt for the risky play there. I blame him for the 3rd goal as well, not because he couldn't hold the puck in the zone, but because I think he has a perfect chance to dive down and break that pass to Wiz up. Maybe he saw it late, but he just looks lazy on that play.

Last but not least, Nash sighting. Hooray!

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

No. The Rangers were down 3-1 to Pitt a few weeks ago in the 3rd. They tied it up. Lost in the SO. Just like last night. Columbus has blown games in the 3rd period. A few weeks ago,they blew a a 2-0 lead in the 3rd in Philly and lost the game. That was the game Giroux scored the crazy backhand goal. The Rangers were lucky to get a point. The Rangers have had one regulation win at home in the last 5 weeks. Minnesota at home. Columbus has beaten them twice at home.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Hagelin is one year younger than Zuc. Zucc gets praise because he's battling while also leading the team in scoring. I like Hags alot as a role player, but I think people think the guy is Kreider's age or something because he's only been in the league a couple of years. He's 25--sort of halfway between the old core (Staal, Callahan, Girardi, and the departed AA and Dubi) and the new core (Stepan, McD, Kreider, etc).

Hags was projected as a good 3rd line prospect. I think he's surpassed that already, so that's a good thing IMO, even if what he is now is what he's going to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad