OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

For those posters who are tired of debating whether Puls and Yams will ever be 50 goal per season snipers---- I am offering an alternative discussion: Lost Canadian Music Classics.

This week it's a band called "Painter" who had a big hit in Canada in 1973. The song was called "West Coast Woman" and it has some great guitar work and a surprisingly "heavy" sound for AM radio back in the early 70's.

They experimented with multiple microphones around the studio for richer sound and these techniques were later adopted by many in the music industry. I think the main riff here is played by a stratocaster guitar but I am not sure.

Anyway, I am going to post a "Lost Canadian Classic" every week. I know the younger guys won't be too interested but a few of my fellow Elkimo fans will be.

Feel free to add comments and/or alternate favorites but let's try to go for stuff that you know longer hear on any radio stations. There's a lot of them.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I sometimes get caught going deep into this rabbit hole… the site is always a work in progress. It’s been a while since I’ve visited it, looks like someone has taken ownership again and is adding information to it.

Again, a lot of the older thread participants here will be reminded of bands that they may have seen, heard (and forgot) over time.

EDIT- I see Painter has been given a decent entry in this encyclopedia.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I sometimes get caught going deep into this rabbit hole… the site is always a work in progress. It’s been a while since I’ve visited it, looks like someone has taken ownership again and is adding information to it.

Again, a lot of the older thread participants here will be reminded of bands that they may have seen, heard (and forgot) over time.

EDIT- I see Painter has been given a decent entry in this encyclopedia.

Here's another lost Canadian classic from the same time period.

"Mexican Lady" by Steel River is a straight ahead rocker with some great guitar and nice organ work.

For a Rider fan you know your music so I guess it will be a 2 person discussion on the thread.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Here's another lost Canadian classic from the same time period.

"Mexican Lady" by Steel River is a straight ahead rocker with some great guitar and nice organ work.

For a Rider fan you know your music so I guess it will be a 2 person discussion on the thread.

Thanks for that. That’s a band I’d not heard of. That’s a good tune. I’m partial to 1970s rock and bands that used Hammond (or other) organs in their structure. Into the 80s and even today, Tom Petty, Blue Rodeo are some of my favourite artists because of the organ sound to their arrangements.

I’m more than happy to carry on this discussion of Canadian rock bands. This country has always punched above its weight class when it comes to giving the world great musicians and songs.

Us RiderFans are not all Pilsener and combines ya know!! (Although, I lived most all of my life in Alberta, born in Sask and now retired there, but the inbetween time was all AB). Cheers Moon.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Thanks for that. That’s a band I’d not heard of. That’s a good tune. I’m partial to 1970s rock and bands that used Hammond (or other) organs in their structure. Into the 80s and even today, Tom Petty, Blue Rodeo are some of my favourite artists because of the organ sound to their arrangements.

I’m more than happy to carry on this discussion of Canadian rock bands. This country has always punched above its weight class when it comes to giving the world great musicians and songs.

Us RiderFans are not all Pilsener and combines ya know!! (Although, I lived most all of my life in Alberta, born in Sask and now retired there, but the inbetween time was all AB). Cheers Moon.
Canadian rock? Don't mind if I do.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

For those posters who are tired of debating whether Puls and Yams will ever be 50 goal per season snipers---- I am offering an alternative discussion: Lost Canadian Music Classics.

This week it's a band called "Painter" who had a big hit in Canada in 1973. The song was called "West Coast Woman" and it has some great guitar work and a surprisingly "heavy" sound for AM radio back in the early 70's.

They experimented with multiple microphones around the studio for richer sound and these techniques were later adopted by many in the music industry. I think the main riff here is played by a stratocaster guitar but I am not sure.

Anyway, I am going to post a "Lost Canadian Classic" every week. I know the younger guys won't be too interested but a few of my fellow Elkimo fans will be.

Feel free to add comments and/or alternate favorites but let's try to go for stuff that you know longer hear on any radio stations. There's a lot of them.

Damn hell yeah.

This is going on my Highway Tunes Radio Show

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Honestly, don't remember this one. But it definitely has the April Wine sound, feel and tempo to it.

Reactions: brentashton

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If anybody knows that tune the Oilers play during the 3rd period intermission, please let me know.
It has a whistling sound before a EDM beat drop. Was played against Vegas during Kirsten Fox's interview right before 3rd period puck drop if that helps lol

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Some good Canadian sound with Randy Bachman right after his Guess Who days and just before his BTO career started. 1972

Anything Randy is all right by me.

When he struck his short lived band Union with Fred Turner, it was a one album effort but was reminiscent of BTO for obvious reasons. Also always have loved his autobiographical song Prairie Town.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Painter became the Band Hammersmith who were imo better and captured more of a rock crowd. Sounded like BTO in a way. These were pretty big in Western Canada and everybody was playing em. They had really good shows. They moved to Alberta so were local based, usually around Calgary in their Hammersmith incarnation. I have pretty much their whole catalog.

Heres their whole first album

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I knew this was going on. I was there on Wednesday avoiding the crowds heh. Windermere is a nice shopping development with Wine and Beyond, Cabellas and such.

But I don't like Vodka and I know Gene doesn't drink it either so it kind of seemed silly. Saw Kiss here in 77 during K Days. Cheap Trick was opening act. Was a great show. Love gun album tour. At that time they were still playing much of the classic Kiss setlist.

Edmonton is special to Gene. He scored his first groupie here at a time in 73 or 74 when they were playing a highschool. i don't want the two details to seem connected. I think the groupie was over 18. Hopefully.

I'm not a meeting stars kinda person but glad others got out to meet Gene. The way I look at it is like the guy said in the article thankful that KISS filled in some soundtrack during our young lives.

Reactions: Morpheus

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Love it, keep 'em coming!

Reactions: yukoner88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad