OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This documentary came up on my YouTube feed:

Purple was a huge influence on me as a musician and that in turn has had a non-negligible impact on my guitarist son who can play anything Blackmore has recorded and who loves Prog. I guess there is some kind of legacy in there.

Interested in your thoughts, if you have watched the documentary.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
This documentary came up on my YouTube feed:

Purple was a huge influence on me as a musician and that in turn has had a non-negligible impact on my guitarist son who can play anything Blackmore has recorded and who loves Prog. I guess there is some kind of legacy in there.

Interested in your thoughts, if you have watched the documentary.

Good find, I will definitely watch it. We listened to a lot of DP as young potheads back in the day. I loved April and Chasing shadows, from the scary cover album.

Reactions: Runner77

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Who had the best after-Beatles career ? Overall the best songs

Paul McCartney
John Lennon
George Harisson
Ringo Ringo

Lennon was the biggest star, Harrison had the most hits and McCartney the most longevity as a composer while Ringo is the most beloved member of the group.

I think Lennon would have been the popular choice as the winner if he was not murdered but all of them were/are great in their own ways. Lennon with his rebel influence and brilliant songwriting, Paul as one of the greatest bass players ever to live and Harrison's iconic style with his patented pre-bends combined with Ringo's unique ability to stay on the back of the beat was such a unique combination. To top it off with what may be truly unparalleled in the history of vocal harmonies is a band that can nail such beautiful harmonies while executing such complex and intricate arrangements.

I hate to try and divide/judge them by their solo work because it feels like we are taking apart a beautiful piece of machinery and judging parts that are meant to work together as though they don't need each other to be the best versions of themselves.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good find, I will definitely watch it. We listened to a lot of DP as young potheads back in the day. I loved April and Chasing shadows, from the scary cover album.
Watched and didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I might. It was basically 3 or4 guys who interacted or covered the band giving opinions and some anecdotes that are known to Purple Heads and footage and pics patched in as filler.

It certainly could have used editing, very redundant.

There must be better.

Apologies, I had not seen it yet when I had posted it.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Lennon was the biggest star, Harrison had the most hits and McCartney the most longevity as a composer while Ringo is the most beloved member of the group.

I think Lennon would have been the popular choice as the winner if he was not murdered but all of them were/are great in their own ways. Lennon with his rebel influence and brilliant songwriting, Paul as one of the greatest bass players ever to live and Harrison's iconic style with his patented pre-bends combined with Ringo's unique ability to stay on the back of the beat was such a unique combination. To top it off with what may be truly unparalleled in the history of vocal harmonies is a band that can nail such beautiful harmonies while executing such complex and intricate arrangements.

I hate to try and divide/judge them by their solo work because it feels like we are taking apart a beautiful piece of machinery and judging parts that are meant to work together as though they don't need each other to be the best versions of themselves.
They were better together than apart combined. Fans never accepted they splitted but it was inevitable. They were together for 10 years, they started to get on their nerves.

Their solo career brings very good hits and experiments, there is some of the Beatles sound and kind of arrangements. Lennon had the most dominant personality, he was interresting beyong strictly musical.

McCartney was and is always a workalcolic. His first solo albums were so and so before he did Band on the Run. He had songs made for children, I mean, he could have been written for Sesame Street. Some people hated his humming in every song. But he kept producings songs after songs and at the end he have his part of hits.

Harisson started strong with a triple album All things must pass. A masterpiece album. Then he made bad albums, came back with better in 78-80. Had a good album in 87 Cloud Nine and was part of Travelling Wilburys, a very good group who hit the charts. He gave two good songs to Ringo : It don't come easy and Photograph.

Ringo is loved by everybody. His drumming style is unique, a signature. I saw a live show (on youtube) of the Beach Boys in the early 80's with Ringo on drums and he sounds very natural with that band and their songs. The crowd made an ovation when Mike Love announced his name.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Lennon was more introspect when writing songs, HELP! was a good example, a was In my life, Nowhere man, and as a solo artistm, Woman, Starting over, Cold Turkey(The 45 rpm version). Many of his songs are personal, unlike Paul, who was pure pop. I never really paid much attention to his solo career but still enjoy listening to some of his stuff. George was ok, and Ringo is still A blast and real funny.

They will be regarded as some of the most influential people of the 20th Century. Rarely has a popular musician not mentioned the Beatles as a major influence and what got them stated as musicians.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Lennon was more introspect when writing songs, HELP! was a good example, a was In my life, Nowhere man, and as a solo artistm, Woman, Starting over, Cold Turkey(The 45 rpm version). Many of his songs are personal, unlike Paul, who was pure pop. I never really paid much attention to his solo career but still enjoy listening to some of his stuff. George was ok, and Ringo is still A blast and real funny.

They will be regarded as some of the most influential people of the 20th Century. Rarely has a popular musician not mentioned the Beatles as a major influence and what got them stated as musicians.
There are so many kids who grew up watching the Beatles and try to be and live like them. The brit groups became an huge thing. It brings more money to UK than cars in 1980. UK groups are an industry, like the usa music industry.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

You have to sure you've heard all the songs of Harrison on All things must pass.
What is life, The art of dying, Wah-Wha, Let it down, Awaiting on you all, My sweet lord, If not for you, Beware of darkness, All things must pass, Isn't it a pity, and the rock jam sessions.

Just this album he can leave and be more than ok.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I agree that I like Paul's solo work the least as he is a total Pop sell out but damn is he talented. George was a brilliant musician although the spiritual nonsense made me gag a little but there was a lot more to like. John was certainly destined for another level of stardom that the others would never reach but I had to fight through the hypocrisy of some of his agendas. Ringo is the most genuine of the bunch and a true glue guy, while being a fantastic drummer his writing/singing chops were not up to par with the others but I think he supported their differing styles beautifully.

All four had flaws that were glaringly apparent when removed from the insulation of each other's talent....just glad to have discovered them while I was young so that their musical virtuosity helped shape my taste.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Who had the best after-Beatles career ? Overall the best songs

Paul McCartney
John Lennon
George Harisson
Ringo Ringo
I prefer Georges material. Paul has some good tunes with Wings and solo but just too ''poppy'' for me. If it's even Paul.lol
Lennon had some good stuff but to choose to live in New York city is a trifle baffling to me.lol

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Ignorant Statee here, first noticed Hugh Dillon on TPB then followed him on Flashpoint. Became an instant fan! Later found out he fronted the Headstones! Obviously I have become enamored with this band. Proto-Metal meets Indie! We in the states lose so much great music that comes out of Canada! Glad I stumbled on to these lads albeit a little late to the party!

Reactions: Runner77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I just had a flash back; remember these?

I didn't watched it. The caricatures are excellent. With a simple draw, we recognise them perfectly. That was cool to have animated cartoons like that in the childood. The Monkees was a good show and it looked pretty cartoonesque even if it was with real characters. Fat Albert was a cool show for black people, or any people who take the time to discover it.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Always preferred Purple over Zeppelin, just my opinion.
I find they are about equal. Zeppelin suffers from over exposure and being a clash in rock history. Zepp was the second coming of Jimmy Hendrix as a major change the way the guitar is played and the tempo that goes with it. Purple was cool, not really serious and heavy and more theatrical approach like Alice and Sabbath. It was like let's have something between serie B horror movie with cool rock music and strongs riffs. Let's screamm too.

When you were a teenager at the time, Purple was more fun overall than Zepp with his complicted high skills music and serious approach.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad