OT: Music Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Well i left from Lasalle in my sisters new at that time civic around 0930 Thursday morn..
drove to JFK and parked it in Fedex's secured lot at the airport
then hung around Fedex until the early Friday morning hours and jumped onto a Fedex jet and sat behind the pilot in the cockpit as we flew overseas and landed at Heathrow sometime later Friday afternoon or early evening (do not quite remember but 5 to 6 hour flight and 5 lost time change hours)

the whole time across the pond nothing planned im winging it (only know i have to be at the show at 12 on Saturday here) Google Maps about 30 miles from London (of course at that time i have no idea where this is when it was happening as its 1990 no phone no google maps)

so i find a hotel somewhere near Heathrow and ask a few questions and crash out im fried i hate flying im ralfing etc etc..

anyhow i wake in a daze early Sat morn and off i go i take the tube downtown then a train north then a bus then walk a mile or so and walk in the grounds at about 1150 Sat morn...

i work my way through the throng of 120 thousand or so people and as i approach the stage (prob Bell Center back row floor distance away) on walks Status Quo

They kick right in to Caroline im freaking stunned standing there smiling rocking i cannot believe im alone across the pond for the 1st time in my life and a band whom i love and never could/would imagine i would ever see are right there rocking away jeans and all..

what a sound boogie woogie rock n rollin at its very best they are just as you Runner would imagine its freaking amazing especially with the thousands around ill groovin rockin right with them..

this setlist follows

(Mystery Song / Railroad / Most of the Time / Wild Side of Life / Rollin' Home / Again and Again / Slow Train)
Hold you back
Dirty Water
whatever you want
In the Army Now
Rockin' All Over the World
Don't Waste My Time
(Roadhouse Blues / The Wanderer / Marguerita Time / Living on an Island / A Mess of Blues / Break the Rules / Something 'Bout You Baby I Like / The Price of Love / Roadhouse Blues)

and the Quo is just the beginning of the fun but certainly the dream high lite for me...

this is long enough so ill just mention who followed what a day ..

Tears For Fears
Cliff Richard and the Shadows
Dire Straits
Elton John
Genesis
Robert Plant
Eric Clapton
Phil Collins
Paul McCartney
Pink Floyd

too many high points the rest of the way
ill just mention

Clapton doing Sunshine of Your Love joined by Knofler and Elton's band

Plant joined by Jimmy Page before they were doing the Plant /Page touring stuff

Paul performing Hey Jude with a 100 thousand plus singing along

and finally Floyd

apologies to all who have no interest..

Cheers..

Cool story,but if you wanted to go that much,why not plan ahead?

Some of us are super boomers !!!
So instead of a red cape like superman,a red walker in it's place?lol

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The blue hair caught my attention, then I couldn't stop listening to her covers, she has dozens, most are identical in staging, a couple of guys behind her, on bass or keys and guitar, and she sings with a lot of passion and assurance. She's worth a look, or two.

Reactions: Dick Duff

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Listening to Tony Rice makes me want to put away my guitar and lock it away for good.
He makes it look so easy, effortless. A flat picking wizzard.
Tony is the goat fr, trey Hensley is the only picker I’ve seen that comes close

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Boomer time.
1NDhvsH.png

Reactions: angusyoung

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It's the original version before his label intervened.

I like the verses better on this one.
Good thing they did or it would not have been a hit . What are the different verses,just found it dull,not good singing.I would not pay for that version or go see it live. But hey, I like chocolate ice cream some prefer vanilla.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Good thing they did or it would not have been a hit . What are the different verses,just found it dull,not good singing.I would not pay for that version or go see it live. But hey, I like chocolate ice cream some prefer vanilla.
To each his own indeed. I find this version to be way more interesting composition-wise, but the uplifting instrumental/sad lyrics contrast in the album version makes it what it is.

When sad songs sound uplifting, it hits harder.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
When I was a late teenager or young adult, my freinds and I found out the music that my parents would hate, or you I start that song on my pick-up and my mom would go away from my room. The vinyl record started one side with that song. And most songs my parents would hate had a slow intro or some music construction before the singer reach that note that annoys parents or straight people. But that Mumbo song from McCartney (album Wild Life, I don't recommend it, it sucks) he had that horrible note just at beguining, like a child crying in the middle of the night. Kind of sending message go away from room now! Lol! The music is ok, it rocks, it swing, the guitar riff is kindda groovy, the drums, the organ, that low-fi sound, it seems like the natural echo of the recording room and nothing more. No big studio sound effect. That wasn't the best years of McCartney, that was before he did his album Band on the Run, by far his best album.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rik schau

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That's good bass guitar and drums. The Byrds 1970 Fillmore east, Eight Miles High. The bass player is just hot, he was really good that performance live.

This other one from the Byrds, Roger McGuinn is stoned, look at his eyes !
McGuinn did all his career with Rickenbaker guitars, I love them, they sound unique.
And a bizarre video montage with that german chick announcing the song.

Last edited:

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
To each his own indeed. I find this version to be way more interesting composition-wise, but the uplifting instrumental/sad lyrics contrast in the album version makes it what it is.

When sad songs sound uplifting, it hits harder.
Obviously, as long as it's nothing too crazy though,right?lol.

Let me ask you a question and see if you can be honest about it,do you think that that version would have been as huge as a hit if it were released as it is before production?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Obviously, as long as it's nothing too crazy though,right?lol.

Let me ask you a question and see if you can be honest about it,do you think that that version would have been as huge as a hit if it were released as it is before production?

It's obvious that the released version of Mandolin rain sounds more like a hit than the one I posted.

But there are two different questions for me: Which version is more interesting and which version sounds more like a hit.

The released version sounds great, and really that's all that matters. I don't think the label sought the changes because they thought the original song sucked in any matter, but they wanted to compete with whatever was on the radio at that time.

Label heads and A&Rs don't tend to make musical suggestions based on the music, but mostly based on marketability. "I really love this song, but can you make it sound more like this other song that's really popping on the radio? Maybe change the chords and make it more major? Oh and by the way, if you refuse, we'll just focus on this other guy we signed last week that looks just like you."

Musicality and marketability are two different barometers for me. When we have the best of both worlds, it's the ideal scenario.

I think a fully produced version of what I posted would sound epic, but would Joe Schmo from the radio have put it up against Papa don't preach and Glory of love? I don't think so.

Radio likes familiarity.

Last edited:

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
It's obvious that the released version of Mandolin rain sounds more like a hit than the one I posted.

But there are two different questions for me: Which version is more interesting and which version sounds more like a hit.

The released version sounds great, and really that's all that matters. I don't think the label sought the changes because they thought the original song sucked in any matter, but they wanted to compete with whatever was on the radio at that time.

Label heads and A&Rs don't tend to make musical suggestions based on the music, but mostly based on marketability. "I really love this song, but can you make it sound more like this other song that's really popping on the radio? Maybe change the chords and make it more major? Oh and by the way, if you refuse, we'll just focus on this other guy we signed last week that looks just like you."

Musicality and marketability are two different barometers for me. When we have the best of both worlds, it's the ideal scenario.

I think a fully produced version of what I posted would sound epic, but would Joe Schmo from the radio have put it up against Papa don't preach and Glory of love? I don't think so.

Radio likes familiarity.
Pretty much the bottom line. That's why its best to see artists perform live,then they can do what they want as they like,often it's better than studio imo.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
When I was a late teenager or young adult, my freinds and I found out the music that my parents would hate, or you I start that song on my pick-up and my mom would go away from my room. The vinyl record started one side with that song. And most songs my parents would hate had a slow intro or some music construction before the singer reach that note that annoys parents or straight people. But that Mumbo song from McCartney (album Wild Life, I don't recommend it, it sucks) he had that horrible note just at beguining, like a child crying in the middle of the night. Kind of sending message go away from room now! Lol! The music is ok, it rocks, it swing, the guitar riff is kindda groovy, the drums, the organ, that low-fi sound, it seems like the natural echo of the recording room and nothing more. No big studio sound effect. That wasn't the best years of McCartney, that was before he did his album Band on the Run, by far his best album.
This one? Not a favorite one of mine.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
That's good bass guitar and drums. The Byrds 1970 Fillmore east, Eight Miles High. The bass player is just hot, he was really good that performance live.

This other one from the Byrds, Roger McGuinn is stoned, look at his eyes !
McGuinn did all his career with Rickenbaker guitars, I love them, they sound unique.
And a bizarre video montage with that german chick announcing the song.

Due to in large part to somebody that rejuvenated my interest on to a band somewhat recently will tell you story about 8 miles high. This version is a result to what they did after Golden Earring covered it and they had to up their game,true story. The original version was short and Golden Earring turned it into a 20 minute extravaganza in studio I posted the live version a few pages back,insanely great! The whole album is spectacular,probably the best live album I've heard,amazing guitar and bass and drums and duo vocals,superb.

Well here's the whole album at no cost to anyone,blast it!
Can even easily select tracks.

• Love

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Due to in large part to somebody that rejuvenated my interest on to a band somewhat recently will tell you story about 8 miles high. This version is a result to what they did after Golden Earring covered it and they had to up their game,true story. The original version was short and Golden Earring turned it into a 20 minute extravaganza in studio I posted the live version a few pages back,insanely great! The whole album is spectacular,probably the best live album I've heard,amazing guitar and bass and drums and duo vocals,superb.

Well here's the whole album at no cost to anyone,blast it!
Can even easily select tracks.

They does a good job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad