Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
So I am not in the Ea sports threads right now. These trades really happened...what the what?!?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
it was different a few years back, but from now and into the future, im sure vast majority of teams would pick pk over weber

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Might not be a popular opinion, but personally...I'm ECSTATIC about this trade.

Sure, Weber is four years older, which is quite important. And Subban is highly skilled. However, he also comes with his fair share of issues on and off the ice. In my opinion, Subban didn't show any improvement last year. While he did get his fair share of points last year, he wasn't the offensive treath from the point, especially on the PP, that he needed to be for a good chunck of the year, and didn't seem to care all that much. Defensively, he slighty improved overall, but that was negated by some very stupid and egoistical plays that made a lot of fans cursed.

Off the ice, he clearly wasn't a fit with Montreal's very conservative ways of doing things. Every reporter in town had reported, at one point or another, that Subban wasn't appreciated in the lockeroom...not only by guys like Plekanec or Pacioretty, but pretty much everyone else. Price is the only one who seemed able to keep him in check.

Obviously, Subban never was Bergevin's guy. Molson forced his hand into giving him that $9.0m deal.

There's a lot of negative in this deal for the Habs, if you want to support that narrative. But there's also quite a lot of positive. Weber's current caphit being $1.0+ less than Subban, his leadership on the blueline, doesn't quite have the offensive potential for a 60+ points season like Subban has, but still has a booming shot from the point, an potential to hit 20-goals easily, much more responsible defensively, a lot bigger than Subban...

To be honest, I really don't mind seing Weber come in, and Subban go out. At this point, I think it's best for everyone involved.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Guess Subban's teammates didn't like him...I love Weber but he's slowing down...bad trade for the habs

He's thirty.

Same age as Chris Pronger when he was traded to the Oilers.

He doesn't need to skate like PK to be relevant and a top-10 league wide defenseman WELL into his mid to late thirties.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Just for the record... I think Montreal wins this trade and it isn't really that close for me. Weber is the better defenseman... and still will be for the next 5 years.

And they save over a million in cap hit.

The guy was a top pairing D on team Canada. How is this a bad thing?

Who care about Team Canada. I have seen a lot of Weber and I am convinced Subban is better than Veber right now. On top, he is 3/4 years younger.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
By now, I'm pretty sure that I can do a better job than certain GMs. I can't believe it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Wow!!! We all know weber is terrific but straight up for Pk? Subban is dynamic, younger and it seems like the city of Montreal loved him.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't know that there's anything more Bergevin/Therrien could do to further alienate their own fans. This is so baffling and hilarious from an outsider's perspective. Sucks if you're a Habs fan.

There's zero upside to this deal. Got the worse contract for the older player past his prime for a similarly talented but much younger player who's going to be on a deal that isn't until he's 40. There's no sense to it at all.

Tsundere

Oct 22, 2009
Montreal
I have the same stance actually, although I'm a huge Subban fan I think he had his worst season last year.

I don't necessarily think the Habs lost this trade, unless Subban reaches 65+ points and 15+ goals. Last season Subban was one of the reasons Habs had a poor PP, so predictable and couldn't hit the net, and he also made terrible turnovers and took stupid and selfish penalties at the worst times. Still, a very very talented skater and puck mover. If Subban plays up to his potential Habs lose this trade.

The reason our PP sucked was because our coach sucks. Subban was predictable because Therrien forced him to play that style and abide to his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad