Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Perhaps someone can correct me on this, but wouldn't the recapture penalty come back almost all on Nashville should Weber retire early? Only 2 more years left were the cap hit is lower than the actual salary. He played 4 years in Nashville where the cap hit was WAY lower than the actual salary. Weber only makes $1mill in each of the last 3 years, so it seems pretty likely he'll retire early.

Montreal adds cap recapture penalties if Weber retires early.

Owed $12M this year and next, and AAV is $7.857 so $8.286M. If he retires with one year left MTL gets that full penalty on their cap. Or if he retires with 3 years left it's still $2.762M * 3 yrs

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

and more? why? this is the trade i've been personally asking for since all this Subban trade talk started (towards the middle of the season)

Draisaitl + #4 + Klefbom for Subban would have been an incredibly solid return, why would you ask for more? and then you go from this package to trading him 1-1 for Weber? :facepalm:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
a978f300964c5510_tumblr_inline_o9et7mySuK1u24h73_500.gif

This friggen cracks me up....this gif should be used going forward by the community at large....

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The current CBA ends in 2022, when Weber will be 35 and unlikely to have retired yet. In the next CBA, they can, if they want to, completely re-write the rules that govern recapture penalties. I imagine that they will specifically because of the situation that Nashville could be in with the $24.5M recapture penalty. What I imagine that they'll do is keep the penalty, but change how it's spread out. For example, Nashville accrued that $24.5M cap advantage over 4 years, so they should at least get to spread it out over that. So, if Weber retires at 39, instead of being hit with a 1-year, $24.5M penalty, they'll be hit with $6.125M per year for 4 years. That's far more fair and how they should've structured the penalty in the first place. I think that they'll realize that and change the rule to something like that before the penalty has a chance to happen.

I agree with this and it makes sense that they will change it. Or change it so that if its an offer sheet, the team that made the offer gets the cap penalty. :sarcasm:

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
He is owed $12M this year and next, so Montreal is on the hook for those two years of recapture penalty, and Nashville is on the hook for the preceding years.

Ya Habs on the hook for 260 thous if he retires the 1st yr,225 thous the 2nd yr ,60 thous the 3rd yr and none after that.
Peanuts for the Habs.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Watch this start a trend of premiere players asking for NTCs when they sign long term deals as an RFA.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

and more? why? this is the trade i've been personally asking for since all this Subban trade talk started (towards the middle of the season)

Draisaitl + #4 + Klefbom for Subban would have been an incredibly solid return, why would you ask for more? and then you go from this package to trading him 1-1 for Weber? :facepalm:

Seriously, I don't even. Not. Even. Or... Even...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
They can't. Only UFA years can be subject to a no trade clause.

Then players will probably refuse to sign long term deals as UFAs or only agree to sign up until age 27-28 or so. I can't see guys risking they end up signing a 7-10 year deal and then get shipped off at age 27-30 to somewhere they possibly don't want to go.

PopSickle

Jun 16, 2016
Montreal, QC
Well... I'm a Habs fan.
And I've always LOVED Subban.
I am not over the moon about this trade, but it's in no way a BAD trade either.

In the long term, it might hit us hard.

But in the short term, I think it will be a good one.

Let me explain:

1st : Montreal has a lot of younger players in development.
I love Pacioretty, but he is NOT a great captain nor a great leader... probably won't ever be.
He doesn't stand up and make a difference in the locker room. Sloppy at his best.
And yes, I do know for a fact, as we have a TV series in MTL (24CH) which is filmed inside the locker of the Habs during practices and before games.
Weber will completely change that.

2nd : The reason why Carey Price was hurt last year, and why we have a hard time protecting him, was because we didn't have many robust players.
I'm not saying that this one single element will make ALL the difference, but believe me, it will make SOME difference.
I don't think Weber will allow other defensemen to play chicken-**** if there is some action in front of the net either.

3rd : Weber's salary in 2 years will drop to 6M with no bonuses.
Who does MTL have to sign in 2 years ? Carey Price.
Need I explain more about the importance of this point ?

So overall, this is not a BAD trade for MTL.
It is a business decision.

Do I agree with how MTL's media treated Subban ? Hell no !
Did I think Subban really was a distraction ? Horsesh.t

But the real problem that Subban was facing comes from Therrien.
And that's the cancer Bergevin should have dealt with in the first place, IMO.

I thought I'd be mad at Bergevin if ever he traded Subban;
I think he brought one of the few players that I don't feel bad about having in our team.

That's my opinion.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Ya Habs on the hook for 260 thous if he retires the 1st yr,225 thous the 2nd yr ,60 thous the 3rd yr and none after that.
Peanuts for the Habs.

lolwut?

He is owed $12M this year and next. Cap hit is $7.857M, that's a benefit of $8M+. There's no benefit for negative cap years, so that $8M doesn't go down.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013

Agreed... then they could have used the 4th to draft Juovoli if they really wanted another D... or trade it for another RHD... like Trouba.

Afterwards trading Plekanec for a pick and acquire Okposo or Eriksson and possibly Ladd or Boedker. Team would have been so much better...

Ship desharnais somewhere... anywhere...

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Ladd or Boedker - Draisaitl - Okposo or Eriksson
Carr or Hudon - Shaw - Andrighetto
Who ever

Markov - Trouba
Klefbom - Petry
Emelin - Beaulieu

Price

Team would be a lot better... that's contender status... A lot of options could have been possible thanks to Edmonton... I'm sure they would have accepted those three pieces for Subban...

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
Nah, PK has shown his bad side publicly for a while now.

Great move by the Habs to move a distraction without losing anything on the blueline.

His 'bad side' eh? What does that constitute? All the charity work he's done with no public coverage? Personally writing letters to all the kids from Fort Mac who lost their houses in the fires, of his own volition? I'm really anxious to find out about his bad side. Do tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad