Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
id rather have weber right now, plus he makes 1.1per less, but the problem is the age and contract length. with weber being 4yrs older and his contract running till he's like 41.
i still think weber will be a great player for many more years, i just don't know about those last 3 or 4yrs.

Weber is not going to play hockey for 1mil a year so don't worry about that. Trust me, He'll retire or be LTIR'd. He can even be pawned off on a cap floor. Imagine getting an 8mil cap hit and only be on the hook for a max 1mil.

I'm not crazy about the deal for the habs but it's not nearly as bad as some people are saying.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
People realize Duncan Keith is older than Weber. Dman don't fall off a ledge when they hit 30 years old. Weber is a tank, he should be fine for a number of years still.

Subban had a 9 million dollar cap hit and scored 2 goals last year on the PP. Subban was #3 in PP ice time per game in the entire league (Weber wasn't in the top 50 and scored 14 pp goals)

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
Here is why it could make sense to me....Its the no trade aspect.

Subban was about to have a NTC and Weber never will

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Franchise hockey is garbage. Stick with EHM. it's well supported on blueline.
Franchise Hockey Manager is making huge leaps. From version 1 or version 2.. it's a lot better. And I'm sure version 3 will be much better.

Eastside is a good game, but the patches are so minuscule that I don't really think it'll be viable if FHM continues to be supported.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Well if Weber decides to retire at the ripe age of 36 this will give the Habs great flexibility as they will save a cap hit of 7.8 mil and not have to pay a cent on the recapture penalty.
Now just imagine if the Habs can somehow pull off a cup within those 5 yrs.
Than and only then does this become a steal for the Habs and a nightmare for the Preds.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Both guys are elite dmen, but one is 27 and one will be 31 in 6 weeks.
that is significant.

Webber has better defense. its what the habs need desperately. rock defense. it all starts on the blueline and goaltending. habs have that now

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
And Subban outpaced him on a vastly inferior team, carrying the corpse of Markov on his back along the way. Weber had no business getting any Norris votes this season. I will, however, qualify that by saying I, in no way, think he's "dog crap." But considering who we traded for him, this is an awful day for the Habs. Even if Weber turns out better next season, he's still on the decline.

A corpse is a better shot suppressor than Josi so who cares? Weber can only go up in terms of partner quality.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So mad as predator fan. Traded our captain who is better than subban and makes less $. Nashville I'm a very upset fan today.
I'm right there with you. I nearly threw my new iPhone out the window going down interstate 40 when this popped up on the smashville app. We get a worse player, bigger cap hit, have to pay more money, and probably lose our newly drafted kid to free agency in 4 years. Whisky Foxtrot Tango Poile.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
People realize Duncan Keith is older than Weber. Dman don't fall off a ledge when they hit 30 years old. Weber is a tank, he should be fine for a number of years still.

Subban had a 9 million dollar cap hit and scored 2 goals last year on the PP. Subban was #3 in PP ice time per game in the entire league (Weber wasn't in the top 50 and scored 14 pp goals)

You sound like a fan whose never followed Weber until now and are looking at a stats board. He is definitely on the decline and most fans out West can confirm as much. He is not the tank he once was and this year later in the season was a startling revelation. Do you honestly believe NASH trades Weber if he's still the "tank" you say he is? Like, honestly, do you think they do this deal? You and others think your getting Weber of 2 years ago and are in for a rude awakening.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How do you support your statement? I look at the stats and Weber has twice as much blocked shots as Subban (160 vs 80) ... I love Weber as a pure offensive D!!

That basically confirms what I said.

Why does he have to block so many shots? Hmmm...may be because he spends more time in his own end and allows more shots.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Yes, there are some on HFboards more intelligent and savvy than NHL general managers. Many people associated with the NHL as managers, coaches, analysts, etc. are genuinely incompetent. I don't know what kind of blunder you'd have to see a GM make to recognize that many of these guys didn't get their jobs on merit or savviness.

GMs/coaches/etc have some information we don't about their teams. Sometimes some things they do look bad from our perspective, but are in fact good considering the circumstances we don't know about. That is important to understand in any analysis of GMs competence.

Inside information is something we don't have access to, and an NHL team isn't only built on paper. This is the real life.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Ignoring an early retirement by Weber

With today's 2 big trades it seems as though it should have been Hall to Nashville, Weber to the Habs and Subban to Edmonton.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Are there any NAS fans unhappy with this trade? That should tell you something...

mgd525

May 18, 2007
What a stupid move by Bergevin only followed up by a more stupid statement of calling Weber a diamond in the rough LMAO. Looks like Benning is going to have to step up his game, for the numb nuts of the year award.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
GMs/coaches/etc have some information we don't about their teams. Sometimes some things they do look bad from our perspective, but are in fact good considering the circumstances we don't know about. That is important to understand in any analysis of GMs competence.

Inside information is something we don't have access to, and an NHL team isn't only built on paper. This is the real life.

I'd agree with you mostly. They are privy to a lot of things we aren't.

But you didn't need "insider information" to know that the Clarkson/Bolland deals were going to be bad. Many HFboarders correctly called out they were awful. Yet "hockey execs" with their "insider information" still thought they were prudent moves.

Some GMs are straight up dumb. Most are in their position not because of competence but because of their connections through the old boys club. I don't think it should be a surprise those who think in more logical/analytical terms could correctly tell us which obviously bad moves will become obviously bad.

I think the trades made today fall in that category.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Its gonna be really funny in December when all these Habs fans pretend like they've supported Weber this entire time when they inevitably fall in love with him

Do you want to win a cup or do you just want to watch one of the most exciting D-men in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad