Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
iznQySt.jpg

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes they are. Read the above posts. If he retires before he completes his Montreal contract then preds get punished

The Predators are punished regardless if he retired before his contract is over. They're punished less if he retired at the same age as a Hab though. The Habs are also on hook for a part of the Cap-Recapture penalty (if he plays with Montreal), as mentioned above.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So Bergevin traded Subban because his feeling are still hurt over their contract negotiations in 2014?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
That is absolutely insane. These kind of penalties make no sense. If a team trades for a player, they should take on all liability.

Then nobody would trade for them and this does not happen as bad anymore I believe because of the changes to contract lengths and all that.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Enormous trade. I can't remember a trade of this magnitude involving two mega stars. People start to bash on Weber now since he's playing for the Habs; one of the most hated teams. Objectively, a swap of two elite d-men. Who's better? It depends on each person's personal preference. But Subban is 3.5 years younger than Weber. That's why he holds more value in my eyes. But I guess Bergevin and his staff flat out believe that Weber is the better defenceman in order to go on with the trade.

Not really, a lot of us hated him already. I didn't really hate Montreal until the John Scott situation happened. Now, they have just reinforced my belief that the people running that club are morons.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so the habs have weber on the books at nearly 8 mil until he is 41? :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That is absolutely insane. These kind of penalties make no sense. If a team trades for a player, they should take on all liability.

disagree. Nashville had the cap gains for paying him 14 million with only a cap hit in the 7's, they gained $24,571,432 in cap space compared to how much they paid him during his time there on that contract. So they should be liable for that. Having to make up those gains they got by eating cap losses.

Really, Divine is right in a sense, they're not responsible for his time in Montreal. They gained $24,571,432 while he was with him./ If he retires early they have to make it back. It depends on when he retires obviously, but that gross number doesn't change because they're not responsible for gains and losses when he was with the Habs, the Habs are. That number is locked in and it just depends on if he retires early, how many years it gets divided up in. Hopefully for them he doesn't retire early, and the Habs end up making up the losses and the Preds are on the hook for nothing.

moon*

Elaborate?

Subban will make more rushes, spins, risky pinches etc. Stuff that is exciting but more often than not results in negative plays the other way than positive plays for hs is own team.

Weber plays a much more effective style that doesn't involve risks, doesn't involve turnovers, doesn't have him out of position.

So Weber doesn't have a highlight reel full of beating guys one on one or with a spin-o-rama, but he does have a ton of plays where he is making the smart pass, taking the puck of someone, using his body to move a guy away from the net or off the puck.

Webers style is much more in line with winning hockey, Subban's is in line with Sports Center.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Preds would just trade for him if he was near the end and thinking of retirement. Just to prevent that recapture.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Preds would just trade for him if he was near the end and thinking of retirement. Just to prevent that recapture.

Nashville would be liable regardless.

Also he's never gonna retire, he'll sit on LTIR until his deal is up

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Subban will make more rushes, spins, risky pinches etc. Stuff that is exciting but more often than not results in negative plays the other way than positive plays for hs is own team.

Weber plays a much more effective style that doesn't involve risks, doesn't involve turnovers, doesn't have him out of position.

So Weber doesn't have a highlight reel full of beating guys one on one or with a spin-o-rama, but he does have a ton of plays where he is making the smart pass, taking the puck of someone, using his body to move a guy away from the net or off the puck.

Webers style is much more in line with winning hockey, Subban's is in line with Sports Center.
Disagree. I think Weber is actually what people think Subban is.

member 151739

Disagree. I think Weber is actually what people think Subban is.

He's gruff and physical. He will always be perceived as better defensively for those reasons alone even if statistics prove otherwise.

An idea about a player matters more than actual ability. I don't get it either.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
So mad as predator fan. Traded our captain who is better than subban and makes less $. Nashville I'm a very upset fan today.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Only on HfBoards 31 is old, especially for a defenseman. Weber is gonna be elite until he's 35 (at least) and when his stock falls too much, he'll be easy to trade to a cap floor team. Weber and Subban are both elite defensemen in their prime. It's a wash. Habs get cap space to get offense and they become more solid defensively short term, imo. And there's obviously reasons why MB was shopping Subban (despite what he said, it's pretty obvious he was shopping him). Some things we don't, as a fan, know, so please stop insulting him without knowing. Pretty sure he couldn't keep Subban for some reasons and that if PLD wasn't taken 3rd, he'd have traded Subban to EDM for 4th pick + young players, as rumored at the time. Now they trade him for another elite D. There was something up that we don't know about.

Massive overreaction on here, but can't say I'm surprised. Average poster loves overreacting to anything. Shea Weber is still a top defenseman in his prime.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
so the habs have weber on the books at nearly 8 mil until he is 41? :laugh:

Or retires.
For the sake of arguing what if the Habs win the cup within the next 5 seasons and Weber decides to retire after that. That would be a huge cap/money saving for the Habs while putting the Preds in an awfull mess with them with the recapture penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad