Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Let's see how this looks in just 3-4 years. Weber will be 35 when P.K is just 30. This was not a very good hockey trade in the long run. One of the worst in NHL history.

Settle down buddy. We're going all in with this trade. We'll determine if it was a good/bad trade for the Habs years from now. Not calling it the worst trade in NHL history a few hours after it happened.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a deal that made me shake out of excitement, and that doesn't happen very often with NHL trades.

But the big question is, what the hell is Bergevin doing ? There's no way Subban = Weber valuewise all things considered.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
If any NHL GM wants to make a controversial/terrible deal, now is the time to do it. #Subban #NoHeadlines #Bergevinhelps

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
I prefer edgy players, so I love Subbans attitude and his game overall. I do believe that NSH will end up as winner in this trade. Can't see why Montreal is doing this unless Subban really wanted out.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Settle down buddy. We're going all in with this trade. We'll determine if it was a good/bad trade for the Habs years from now. Not calling it the worst trade in NHL history a few hours after it happened.

No problem, buddy. I will. It's a garbage trade and only those with short sighted vision disagree. Weber has a lot of miles on his frame for a 31 year old. I guarantee when he's 35 he'll be a shell of his former self. He already isn't the player he once was. But either way, we all have opinions. I just know that know way was this a good trade. In just 3-4 years from now it will look even worse.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Dude, wait until Weber isn't playing with Josi.

I don't understand why Montreal made this deal. I think Weber may be the better player next season -- though that's highly debatable -- but in a year or two it won't even be close: Subban will be miles better while Weber declines.

Josi without Weber ain't so hot either, pal.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
He's 30 years old with 10 years left on a $110 million contract. There's not many ways you can spin this deal to make it look good for MTL. They traded away a franchise dman with at least 8 years of quality hockey left for a guy on the tail end of his prime.

"Tail end of his prime?" Come on now! I think that's a bit harsh. He's 31, not 35. I think Weber can come up with 4-5 good seasons and that'd be half of his tenure with the Habs. It's the other 5 years that Habs should be concerned about.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm glad Subban is out of the division.

Subban is and will be a better player than Weber for the next 10 years.

yeah but he can't crosscheck nearly as hard. i'm convinced he injured Parise.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Another fairly even hockey trade (similar to the Hall-Larsson deal). The extra skill and offensive flair that PK provides is offset by Weber's grittier defensive style. The youth and age disparity is balanced out by the respective cap-hits.

Not sure why Montreal fans hate this.

Weber is 31 years old and showing signs of regressing already. His offense does not translate into the playoffs either while Subban is literally the only player over last few years that could be relied on for playoff performance.

Now if the Habs were already set with young top 6ers and offensively, this trade could be considered fine since you can rationalize as they add some grit/size. Reality? Habs still have major holes in the top 6 and now have a even smaller window to compete with Weber being 4 years older. They might have actually gotten worse offensive as Subban at least provides guranteed playoff production.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Not sure why people are bashing Weber so hard. He is still an exceptional #1 D. His contract sucks but there's no reason to think he doesn't have 4-5 more very good years left in him.

Subban is the player with more value, but talent wise I think it's a wash for the next few years.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
you know I had a dream a year back where we traded Subban to get Yannick Weber back from the Canucks...

moon*

I don't think you'll find many people who think Weber is currently better than Subban

Fans might not since they are in love with flash over actual ability and substance.

But a pretty smart group over at Hockey Canada have multiple times now put Weber ahead of Subban and they are a pretty decent judge of talent, Muzzin over Brodie not withstanding.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
No problem, buddy. I will. It's a garbage trade and only those with short sighted vision disagree. Weber has a lot of miles on his frame for a 31 year old. I guarantee when he's 35 he'll be a shell of his former self. He already isn't the player he once was. But either way, we all have opinions. I just know that know way was this a good trade. In just 3-4 years from now it will look even worse.

If in 3-4 years Weber+Price brings cup #25 everyone in Montreal will have forgotten Subban and will elect Mayor of the City...and everyone in Nashville will regret the trade.

If in 3-4 years Subban brings a cup to Nashville, everyone in Tennessee will have forgotten about Weber and will elect Subban as a Senator and Montreal will most likely burn worse than London in WWII.

dj33habs

Jul 15, 2010
The one good thing I can see on the habs side is that if Webber retires the preds have to pay all the penalties

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Fans might not since they are in love with flash over actual ability and substance.

But a pretty smart group over at Hockey Canada have multiple times now put Weber ahead of Subban and they are a pretty decent judge of talent, Muzzin over Brodie not withstanding.

I've seen two trades today that tell me that NHL GMs are terrible at judging talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad