Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] P.K. Subban for Shea Weber - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Schuler

Apr 3, 2012
Why is there only talk about the poor Habs and Subban?What about Webber,he was the Preds "C" and suddenly traded.Any input from someone that may be aware of his circumstances?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that when it was apparent that a Weber for Subban swap was doable, all that went out the window. But, it is an interesting dynamic. For as much praise as Poile lavished on Weber in his press conference, and for how much Weber meant to the franchise, think with your head, not your heart.

If the Predators felt like Weber was slowing down and the cap recapture was going to happen anyway, why not cash in Weber a year too early rather than a year too late. And for Subban, a comparable defenseman (they are different players, so who is better than the other is entirely subjective). I don't know that Poile would have agonized over the decision that long.

Then, again, Nashville is going to be bad for Subban's brand.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Are we really going to play that game with Subban?

Smh all everyone remembers are the two highlight reel mistakes he made.

It's no wonder that even though Doughty has near the amount of giveaways as Subban, he's not considered a 'liability'. As long as a D's play doesn't end up on the highlights as a bad play, he's a 'great' D.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The longer I think about this the more ok I am with it. Weber brings a more mature stable game to our back end.

And yet Nashville traded that guy. Hmmm

Look at al those complimentary things Poile said about Weber....then look at what Bergie said. Good for PK to get far away from this miserable org.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Ilwr6qB.jpg

Wearing a 2016 All Star Game shirt underneath. Doubling up on the Nashville gear :yo:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that when it was apparent that a Weber for Subban swap was doable, all that went out the window. But, it is an interesting dynamic. For as much praise as Poile lavished on Weber in his press conference, and for how much Weber meant to the franchise, think with your head, not your heart.

If the Predators felt like Weber was slowing down and the cap recapture was going to happen anyway, why not cash in Weber a year too early rather than a year too late. And for Subban, a comparable defenseman (they are different players, so who is better than the other is entirely subjective). I don't know that Poile would have agonized over the decision that long.

Then, again, Nashville is going to be bad for Subban's brand.

:laugh:

Thanks for the link to that article. Greg makes me laugh every now and then with his pithy analysis of absurd things people say :laugh:

Why didn't they just trade Subban for Hall?

Because teams target specific players/positions when they trade their superstars, and it looks like Montreal wanted to replace Subban not ship him out for a winger, even one of the best wingers in the game. I have a feeling Montreal fans would be even more angry if they traded Subban for Hall.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Still can't believe this happened. Coming from a Leafs fan, I'm actually mad FOR Habs fans. I would be losing my mind if my team traded PK for anything less than an out of this world package, let alone an aging Weber.

Not saying Weber is bad, because we all know he's elite in every sense of the word... but PK is muuuuuuch better long term. Terrible trade.

We are mad bro, some stopped following the team until dumb and dumber (Michel T. and Marc B.) are gone. :rant:

Beside that we can do nothing. :cry:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
PREDICTION:

Montreal has a relatively healthy season. They make the playoffs, 5th in the East but lose in the first round. Media asks Bergevin if he still stands by the Subban-Weber trade and he responds with something along the lines of "Hey, we're a better team than we were last year." Because he thinks the fans and media are stupid.

I'll bet my house on this too. He's so dishonest :rant:

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think it is a win-win for both side. Both players are franchise defenseman and both bring different qualities. I don't think Subban is better than Weber, nor i don't think Weber is better than Subban. They are different player who are both franchise defenseman.

Now.

Subban is a spectacular defenseman who has a unique toolset. I don't believe that Montreal was shopping him. I also don't believe there was an unsurmontable rift between PK and the rest of the team, that's media drama. I believe that if it is not an offer of Shea Weber, Subban is still a Montreal Canadiens for the next decade.

Subban also has a particular personality. He is not really the leader you want in a true #1D (Compared to Keith or Doughty, for example). I think he will thrive in Nashville because he will play with guy like Josi, Ellis and Ekholm. He will only improve their D and will complement them with his flashy style. He will not have to be their #1 go to guy on defense. He will be able to be himself totally. Subban has not the quality you research in a #1 defenseman when it comes to team play and leadership.

I'd also like to point out that leadership in Montreal was weak last season. As much as Subban was not the problem, he was not the solution and didn't had a season you would have expected from a true leader. (Also True for every ****ing player in Montreal).

Concerning Shea Weber, you have another franchise defenseman, who has a long, big and tough contract and who is due 8M july 1. (Couple of days after re-signing Forsberg 6x6).

Shea Weber is the perfect prototype of what you want in a true number one defenseman. Big time Leadership. Can play 30 min a night. Big. Tough. Big Slapper. Moves the puck very well. I feel that his impact is undervalued because he was part of the (still) great Nashville D.

Shea Weber will have a much stronger impact on the Habs than PK, as much as PK will probably be a better player in Nashville than he was in Montreal.

This being said, as a habs fan, i just don't see how our team is weaker today than it was two days before. And yes, i've seen everything i had to see from Shea Weber.

I think there was one player in the league that could pry Weber from Nashville and it was PK. (Favorite of Poile, All-star game in Nashville, better fit in terms of contracts, Nashville got younger and speedier, will take on Weber minutes.)

I also think there were not a lot of players that would truly make Bergevin interested in trading PK and Weber was surely one of them.

I see a win-win for both teams as Nashville improves their situation and Montreal get the prototypical number one defenseman Shea ****ing Weber.

bbob

Nov 27, 2015
I always wanted to have Josi & PK as top 2!! Would have set the Habs d for 10+ years with price on top of that!! then just have to focus on top 6 which is easier to solve then finding top d.

Patches for josi (+ something couple years ago) is a trade would instantly do......never thought it would happen cause MB dumb logic...but Nashville is a cup team now with that d core & probably the best top pairing d in league!!!

Thier GM has traded for a #1C in RJ, elite young #1 Norris d in PK & a young great scorer in FF..still has cap room, that is a GM wish Habs had, while Habs GM says trades are hard & expects others to just give him the player... so instead gets all 3rd & 4th liners in game thinking all teams will bow to those players

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
Preds have the edge. PK's got a lot of great hockey left, Weber not so much. Have to say I've had a crush since PK stepped in as a rookie.

Drozko

May 24, 2016
It's too late, we already lost Subban. Therrien should have been fired last year.:help:
Smart teams don't trade PK Subban. Pk was great for Montreal that guy is a stud defenseman sells a ton of Jersey merchandise and tickets. VERY POOR BUSINESS DECISION BY THE HABS COACH AND MANAGEMENT. Montreals franchise value never would of hit it's valuation with out the likes of subban. Great way to repay a guy that gave fans hope, drew attention to the Habs, the game and was incredibly generous to the community. F*** bergevin and f*** Mt. I feel terrible for Habs fans.

Drozko

May 24, 2016
Smh all everyone remembers are the two highlight reel mistakes he made.

It's no wonder that even though Doughty has near the amount of giveaways as Subban, he's not considered a 'liability'. As long as a D's play doesn't end up on the highlights as a bad play, he's a 'great' D.
I'm sure the fans of the Habs forgave some on ice mistakes by subban.It's more.to them than just a hockey player. He was a generous community leaders. Guys like.subban are irreplaceable. He gavve that team hope and swagger. The fans loved him for more than what he did on the ice

yoss

May 25, 2011
Hope Subban wins a cup with Nashville.

Also happy that if i end up watching my team at all next season i can take solace in the thought that when i witness the inevitable Nucks losses to the Preds i might no longer have to be bored out of my mind doing so unlike was usual with Nashville since I can remember.

Obvs. Johanssen, etc. help with that too, but Subban will go a long way to making Preds a fun team to watch.

Positive Vibes

im just here to argue
Jun 24, 2016
Depths of Hell
I Love Webs already only seen some of his highlights lol hopefully we can find some offense to help him go on to raise the cup lol welcome to the habs!!!!!! :)

Subban, My Favorite player in the NHL never thought id see him in a different jersey but i wish him all the best and hope someday he is able to raise the cup aswell you will be missed :cry:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think it is a win-win for both side. Both players are franchise defenseman and both bring different qualities. I don't think Subban is better than Weber, nor i don't think Weber is better than Subban. They are different player who are both franchise defenseman.

Now.

Subban is a spectacular defenseman who has a unique toolset. I don't believe that Montreal was shopping him. I also don't believe there was an unsurmontable rift between PK and the rest of the team, that's media drama. I believe that if it is not an offer of Shea Weber, Subban is still a Montreal Canadiens for the next decade.

Subban also has a particular personality. He is not really the leader you want in a true #1D (Compared to Keith or Doughty, for example). I think he will thrive in Nashville because he will play with guy like Josi, Ellis and Ekholm. He will only improve their D and will complement them with his flashy style. He will not have to be their #1 go to guy on defense. He will be able to be himself totally. Subban has not the quality you research in a #1 defenseman when it comes to team play and leadership.

I'd also like to point out that leadership in Montreal was weak last season. As much as Subban was not the problem, he was not the solution and didn't had a season you would have expected from a true leader. (Also True for every ****ing player in Montreal).

Concerning Shea Weber, you have another franchise defenseman, who has a long, big and tough contract and who is due 8M july 1. (Couple of days after re-signing Forsberg 6x6).

Shea Weber is the perfect prototype of what you want in a true number one defenseman. Big time Leadership. Can play 30 min a night. Big. Tough. Big Slapper. Moves the puck very well. I feel that his impact is undervalued because he was part of the (still) great Nashville D.

Shea Weber will have a much stronger impact on the Habs than PK, as much as PK will probably be a better player in Nashville than he was in Montreal.

This being said, as a habs fan, i just don't see how our team is weaker today than it was two days before. And yes, i've seen everything i had to see from Shea Weber.

I think there was one player in the league that could pry Weber from Nashville and it was PK. (Favorite of Poile, All-star game in Nashville, better fit in terms of contracts, Nashville got younger and speedier, will take on Weber minutes.)

I also think there were not a lot of players that would truly make Bergevin interested in trading PK and Weber was surely one of them.

I see a win-win for both teams as Nashville improves their situation and Montreal get the prototypical number one defenseman Shea ****ing Weber.

The issue isn't Weber but the Fact that Weber already showed sign of decline while PK still entering is prime when you add the contrat consideration you can't say that it was a win/win... If Weber such a amazing player why was he traded for PK... They made the trade because PK could step in and fill Weber minute today and for years to come... If it might be a win/win today but considering that speed is at a alltime premium in the league in 3-4 years from now PK will still be in is prime and Weber will no longer be a elite Dman.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
The issue isn't Weber but the Fact that Weber already showed sign of decline while PK still entering is prime when you add the contrat consideration you can't say that it was a win/win... If Weber such a amazing player why was he traded for PK... They made the trade because PK could step in and fill Weber minute today and for years to come... If it might be a win/win today but considering that speed is at a alltime premium in the league in 3-4 years from now PK will still be in is prime and Weber will no longer be a elite Dman.

Furthermore, Weber has clocked a lot of hard miles on his body. It's not just his foot speed that will deteriorate in that timeframe - and I love the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad