Value of: Mtl needs a young goalie. Who and what value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Unless a team has 2 young goalies or a star/really good goalie and a young one, they aren't moving one out. Goalies don't hold enough value to be worth trading, especially if they are unproven. Swayman might be the best option if Boston feels Ullmark is their goalie for the foreseeable future (the way Georgiev was moved because his path to starter was blocked long term).

Reactions: pth2

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Unless a team has 2 young goalies or a star/really good goalie and a young one, they aren't moving one out. Goalies don't hold enough value to be worth trading, especially if they are unproven. Swayman might be the best option if Boston feels Ullmark is their goalie for the foreseeable future (the way Georgiev was moved because his path to starter was blocked long term).
Askarov
Wallstedt
Schmid
Lota of guys around ...

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Askarov
Wallstedt
Schmid
Lota of guys around ...
Are all of those guys being shopped/teams wanting to trade them? My guess is no. Schmid (very small sample size still) might be the only one close to pushing for a starting job (or splitting time). I seriously doubt a team is going to hand a starting job to Askarov/Wallstedt who have 1 career start between them? In a couple of years, maybe... if they pan out and start pushing for a starting job or if a team over pays for them now. If they have a high priced goalie who is similar skill level, the team might opt to move the more expensive/older guy out too.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
No need now. Habs are not contending until maybe 2 or 3 years. Continue drafting goaltenders and hopefully you hit on one or revisit in 3 years to target the right guy either through free agency or trades.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Its always funny to see the same old "C prospects are worth way more than a goalie" stuff. You don't need to look much further than these playoffs happening right now to see that virtually every series win is the result of a goalie putting the team on their backs. Hell Dallas escaped the 1st round on the back of Oettinger.

HFBoards has such a twisted perception of trade value its hilarious.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Its always funny to see the same old "C prospects are worth way more than a goalie" stuff. You don't need to look much further than these playoffs happening right now to see that virtually every series win is the result of a goalie putting the team on their backs. Hell Dallas escaped the 1st round on the back of Oettinger.

HFBoards has such a twisted perception of trade value its hilarious.
It depends how these goalies were acquired? Either draft or free agency or for C prospects or late picks. The market for goaltenders has always been very bad for the seller.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Are all of those guys being shopped/teams wanting to trade them? My guess is no. Schmid (very small sample size still) might be the only one close to pushing for a starting job (or splitting time). I seriously doubt a team is going to hand a starting job to Askarov/Wallstedt who have 1 career start between them? In a couple of years, maybe... if they pan out and start pushing for a starting job or if a team over pays for them now. If they have a high priced goalie who is similar skill level, the team might opt to move the more expensive/older guy out too.
And Hahs don't need a starting keeper NOW either. We can wait till some of those guys start making sparks in 2-3 years when they ask their management for starting duties that theu can't provide because they already have a #1.

They may opt to trade the older guy and get even less in return vecause age and contract are a thing, see MAF who was traded for nothint after a Vezina. I mean as a Habs fan, if NSH decide to trade Saaros for nothint in 3 years I am more than okay with that!

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
And Hahs don't need a starting keeper NOW either. We can wait till some of those guys start making sparks in 2-3 years when they ask their management for starting duties that theu can't provide because they already have a #1.

They may opt to trade the older guy and get even less in return vecause age and contract are a thing, see MAF who was traded for nothint after a Vezina. I mean as a Habs fan, if NSH decide to trade Saaros for nothint in 3 years I am more than okay with that!
That might be the better option, I assumed the thread was made for a young goalie now and not a goalie 3 years from now. I could be wrong and it was looking into the future at who is available then.

Edit: Best option might be to "passively" shop, wait for someone to come up on a bargain and draft a goalie or two and hope they pan out. Maybe trade up/down (not with Montreal 1st, but I think they have Florida 1st and 2 round picks?) if they like a guy. Good goalie prospects are usually still available in the 2nd/3rd rounds and sometimes beyond that.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
That might be the better option, I assumed the thread was made for a young goalie now and not a goalie 3 years from now. I could be wrong and it was looking into the future at who is available then.

Edit: Best option might be to "passively" shop, wait for someone to come up on a bargain and draft a goalie or two and hope they pan out. Maybe trade up/down (not with Montreal 1st, but I think they have Florida 1st and 2 round picks?) if they like a guy. Good goalie prospects are usually still available in the 2nd/3rd rounds and sometimes beyond that.
Draft Hrabal at 37 and problem is fixed

We have a young man and his name is Jacob Markström.
How many 1sts are you attaching to him to get rid of his contract?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Cool keep him!

The last keeper who was traded for a top pick was Cory Schneider after a vezina year... So yah... Good luck getting a 1c or a top1C prospectnfor a guy who had a hard time postinf a 910 save % in a very good AHL team
You realize Schneider started only 30 games before being traded, right? That’s far from a typical “Vezina year”.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
What does the coach have to do with the goalies stats? Fact is he had very average stats on a team that finished top10-15 in the AHL.

Fact the coach was kicked out has nothing to do with it. He isn't worth a top C prospect, no G in the NHL is worth a top C prospect unless they are called Vasilevskyi or Shesterskin.

You'd be lucky to get a potential top 6 center for him because goalie have no value.
Goalies have no value? The odds of winning a cup without great goaltending is slim. Hell unless a team has a top 5 offense (habs don't and wont) it's hard to even make the playoffs.
2021-2022 devils- 63 points, this year over a 100.
The real reason you don't see big trades involving goalies is because they take the longest too develop and teams seldom trade them.

My team has done a lot wrong but Vancouver puts a huge onus on goaltending and already have Demko but continued to draft 2 a year and Silovs is trending better than Demko and the Finnish kid behind him (forgot his name) is talked about by our Guru goalie coach as the best of the bunch.
Personally I'm not a fan of the habs prospect pool or young core since they lack a 1c 1D or a 1G but even if they had the first two, it takes 5 years or more before a goalie gets a shot, plus a few years of getting NHL experience. By now the habs should already have several options of their own since you guys talk like playoffs aren't that far off.

As far as Walstadt, he was a recent 1st round pick, he was a stud in the SHL, very few young goalies do well in the AHL (it's why I'm high on Silovs) since the AHL isn't known for great defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad