Value of: Mtl needs a young goalie. Who and what value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Goalies have no value? The odds of winning a cup without great goaltending is slim. Hell unless a team has a top 5 offense (habs don't and wont) it's hard to even make the playoffs.
2021-2022 devils- 63 points, this year over a 100.
The real reason you don't see big trades involving goalies is because they take the longest too develop and teams seldom trade them.

My team has done a lot wrong but Vancouver puts a huge onus on goaltending and already have Demko but continued to draft 2 a year and Silovs is trending better than Demko and the Finnish kid behind him (forgot his name) is talked about by our Guru goalie coach as the best of the bunch.
Personally I'm not a fan of the habs prospect pool or young core since they lack a 1c 1D or a 1G but even if they had the first two, it takes 5 years or more before a goalie gets a shot, plus a few years of getting NHL experience. By now the habs should already have several options of their own since you guys talk like playoffs aren't that far off.

As far as Walstadt, he was a recent 1st round pick, he was a stud in the SHL, very few young goalies do well in the AHL (it's why I'm high on Silovs) since the AHL isn't known for great defenders.
We already have a 1C, we are also going to draft one this year and get Dubois in 2024.

Our #1D is called Lane Hutsonz may hqve heard of him, better than Quinn Hughes in the NCAA Actually... Unless you don't consider Quinn a #1D???

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What about Spencer Knight ?
Is he available though ? Panthers fans ?

If yes, I would go hard after him

Iowa Wild finished with a 34-27 record, indicating they were a good team. He posted similar stats on a better team than Primeau did in Laval.
And Habs fans don't think Primeau is NHL material.
Watching him means nothing. Until he proves he's a NHL #1G he isn't worth a 1st rd pick, a young #1C or a #1C. And even then, when was the last time a team traded such a prospect for a goalie?
Wild can keep him, and we'l snag him when he asks for a trade because he's tired of playing 2nd string to Gustafsson.
I would pay a good price if Minny decide to trader Wallstad (What I really don't see them doing). He's probably a top 3 goalie not in the NHL and he's gonna be a stud

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Is he available though ? Panthers fans ?

If yes, I would go hard after him

I would pay a good price if Minny decide to trader Wallstad (What I really don't see them doing). He's probably a top 3 goalie not in the NHL and he's gonna be a stud
Same was said for a lot of young goalies... And they never did.
Fact is, he isn't a top20pick in this draft, bot even top 30.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
With all the date we have on him, how he was dominant every where he went, I would trade a 1st pick between 20-30 for him. Most goalies that had his pedigree at his age have succeed and there is nothing sure either with the pick you will make.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
Same was said for a lot of young goalies... And they never did.
Lol your seriously a joke. Your hate on wallstedt is jealousy because you want him for your team. To say a player drafted a year ago in 1st round is no longer worth that is funny as heck

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Although there is an exception to almost every rule,
it should be clear rule is high end G prospects unlikely to go anywhere in NHL where tight cap limits flexibility.

Garand fits what you seek, but is not available.
He will replace Shesty at some point.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Jakub Dobes seems a like a legit future NHLer still a couple years away, great for the rebuild timezone.
Primeau just not there yet and might never will be.

What about Spencer Knight ?

Maybe draft Adam Gajan or Carson Bjarnason this year ?
Spencer Knight? Seriously? The same Spencer Knight that’s currently on an indefinite leave from the NHL while going through the employee assistance program for an undisclosed issue? I’m not judging. It’s good that he’s getting the help he needs. But who’s to say when/if he returns. And what kind of player he’ll be if he does come back.

Matt Murray might be a good fit
He’s doing a great job right where he is. Eating up a bunch of cap space for the leafs without contributing any meaningful minutes to the club

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I see the deception. " habs need a goalie " WHY? habs have 2. You create a need then then offer YOUR solution and of course you start with a 1st rounder. goalies are the hardest to predict. It's a real gamble that the goalie offered is going to be better then the one you already have. In fact it's a 5% chance that the goalie will be a top 3 goalie. All teams need a good goalie but they also need great dmen. great dmen can save a good but not great goalie and yes a great goalie can save average dmen. Habs have some really good dman rookies and prospects. Let them develop before you sell off 1st round picks for a big gamble. Habs need a CLEAR and TRUE picture of the dmen already in the system.
The habs are in a full rebuild it's 3/4 done with at least 1 more year to complete the rebuild.
some contracts need to GO and an other round of good draft picks this year to add to the system. Who knows about PLD we will see. ONE thing seems very very clear the Habs in 2-3 years will not look like the habs of last few years. Other teams windows are just starting to close, they have had their time. It is the nature of the NHL cap era.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
It was tongue-in-cheek. However, it is kind of amusing that Montreal fans reacting negatively to mentioning Cauffield also think Asksarov and Wallstedt are available and easy to get
no one with half a brain - habs fan or not -thinks either of those two are available and easy to get

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
It was tongue-in-cheek. However, it is kind of amusing that Montreal fans reacting negatively to mentioning Cauffield also think Asksarov and Wallstedt are available and easy to get.
One of them scores 30goals in the NHL and was on pace to score 50
The other 2 have been average / below average in the AHL

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
They always have rights. They can sign a 1 year deal and make themselves eligible to offer sheets. They have more rights than you think. They don't have to stay back ips until they are 25 and miss on millions of $ more
Offersheets doesn't happen. Your just an idiot who likes to argue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad