Proposal: Mtl / LA

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
LA's center depth
Kopitar
Byfield (LA has already stated that they intent to use him at center)
Danault
Lewis/Turcotte (who looks ready to play full time in the NHL)

no need for another 4th line Center at this time.
Came here to say this.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
LA's center depth
Kopitar
Byfield (LA has already stated that they intent to use him at center)
Danault
Lewis/Turcotte (who looks ready to play full time in the NHL)

no need for another 4th line Center at this time.
That's fantastic depth. Kopitar is still very valuable, then you have the offensively gifted Byfield who has room to grow, and rounding it out his Danault, who is just about as ideal a 3C as a team could ask for. I don't know enough about Lewis/Turcotte to comment but that top3 is solid

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
we dont really need 3rd or 4th round picks so i rather just keep Evans

Yeah. I get the motivation of trying to "make room" for a young guy looking good in camp...but these aren't necessarily the sort of things you need to be in a huge rush to do. Looking good in camp doesn't always mean that guy is fully ready for the long grind of an entire NHL season.

And on the other end, more layers of depth > less depth. Inevitably, injuries will hit. Plus, Evans isn't a spectacular player, but he's at least a solid, reliable vet with some versatility and ability to take on some less cushy offensive minutes, eat PK duties, etc. I think that's a guy you'd want to keep around for a bit to help continue to insulate some younger players if you can.

And finally, i think Evans is probably the sort of player who is worth a little bit more at the deadline anyway. Where teams will actually pay a better draft pick/prospect for defensively reliable 3rd/4th line depth Centers who can kill penalties and aren't an utter black hole offensively. Where they like to stack that sort of depth as deeply as they can. Where they often have injuries and more "effective cap space" to work with in building that up.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
We already convert center to wingers.
Where is all that "LA needs a center" coming fom?

We already convert center to wingers.
Where is all that "LA needs a center" coming fom?
Same articles that proposed Montreal moving a C. I got the feeling it was a transient need, it may have just been BS clickbait.

The level of center we need, your team doesn't have.
Problem is, fans always think their team shouldn't acquire anything but high end players, yet most trades are not for all stars.

Reactions: viceroy

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Same articles that proposed Montreal moving a C. I got the feeling it was a transient need, it may have just been BS clickbait.
It's all clickbait and ball bearings nowadays

images

Reactions: pth2

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Problem is, fans always think their team shouldn't acquire anything but high end players, yet most trades are not for all stars.

Doesn't matter. We have multiple centers for every line except 1C. And your team doesn't have a 1C. We also need a 1D and a 1G but that's another matter. Otherwise for 2nd tier players, we have "excellent depth".

So, you're statement is a fallacy. Just because you've seen people ask only for high end players, doesn't mean they and particularly we (LAK) don't need only high end players.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It’d be one thing if they had a young player with more upside, to fill the same role. If they had a Peyton Krebs like guy, who will likely end up a very good 3C in another couple of years.

They don’t have that player. So unless they’re acquiring one, or even a Kampf, then there’s no reason to trade him at all.
WHat are you talking about? Beck and Kapanen are a year away at most and far more talented than Krebs.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Also, you Montreal fans don't exactly have the best record on HFB trade proposals.

Sincerely,
- Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
But can you? Historically speaking these guys go for a premium at the TDL, ranging from 2nd to 1st round picks.

Also, the fact that you have “no interest in any trade anyway” does not mean others share the same feeling as you do or that he isn’t worth something valuable
No worries, we have Trevor Lewis as our 4C.
Give me your 1st rounder and we have a deal

• Love
Reactions: Lt Dan

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Personally i keep Evans for the same reasons you put in - cheap and quality 4th liner (quality 3rd liner is a stretch for me). I'd be open to Dvo with retention instead though, and that's only if KH figures Beck or Kapanen is ready, or that Newhook is a C and not a winger.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Also, you Montreal fans don't exactly have the best record on HFB trade proposals.

Sincerely,
- Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.
I don't think we have much room to get all high and mighty since "Cammalleri and a 2nd" was a staple on our boards for half a decade

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No offense? At ~30 points I bed to defer. That’s pretty average for a good two-way 3C and best in business as a 4C
he was playing 16 minutes a night in Montreal last year. That's closer to 2C deployment, not 4C. He played more per game than guys like Frost, Domi, and Ryan Strome. He wouldn't be putting up 30 points playing 11 minutes a night like most 4C's.

3rd round pick is about right for him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
he was playing 16 minutes a night in Montreal last year. That's closer to 2C deployment, not 4C. He played more per game than guys like Frost, Domi, and Ryan Strome. He wouldn't be putting up 30 points playing 11 minutes a night like most 4C's.

3rd round pick is about right for him.
He played on average 3 minutes a night on the PK and his deployment is roughly 75% in the DZ.

His ES ice time and deployment is all below the guys you mentioned above (by a lot). His most common teammates last year are Pezetta, Gallagher, Pearson and Anderson and Ylonen who had a combined 81 points between the 5 of them.

Funny enough, that puts him at the same pace (while being paid 350k/year less than) as your Stanley cup contender team 3rd C last year in Mcleod who played an average of 14:15 per game with nearly 1 minute of PP/game and less than 1:30 of PK per game.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He played on average 3 minutes a night on the PK and his deployment is roughly 75% in the DZ.

His ES ice time and deployment is all below the guys you mentioned above (by a lot). His most common teammates last year are Pezetta, Gallagher, Pearson and Anderson and Ylonen who had a combined 81 points between the 5 of them.

Funny enough, that puts him at the same pace (while being paid 350k/year less than) as your Stanley cup contender team 3rd C last year in Mcleod who played an average of 14:15 per game with nearly 1 minute of PP/game and less than 1:30 of PK per game.
Which leaves 13 minutes of even strength time, which he's not getting anywhere else, and he's starting a lot in the D zone because the Habs are a terrible possession team. NST has his d-zone starts at 57%, not 75%.

Evans is what he is at 28 years old. McLeod was 24 years old last year and playing a similar role on a Cup finalist. They're not remotely the same.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Which leaves 13 minutes of even strength time, which he's not getting anywhere else, and he's starting a lot in the D zone because the Habs are a terrible possession team. NST has his d-zone starts at 57%, not 75%.

Evans is what he is at 28 years old. McLeod was 24 years old last year and playing a similar role on a Cup finalist. They're not remotely the same.
So you don’t think your 3C should get ~13 minutes of ice time?

Also cute of you to say McLeod was 24 last year but mention Evans age this year. He was 27 last year.

As you said, they played a similar role with similar ES ice time & production but Evans had significantly worst teammates but having a more effective D game. What makes you think Evans couldn’t do it on a contender like Edmonton? If McLeod is a 3C on a cup finalist, why couldn’t Evans be one? If the Sabres doesn’t make the playoff this year, does that mean McLeod is a bad 3C?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So you don’t think your 3C should get ~13 minutes of ice time?

Also cute of you to say McLeod was 24 last year but mention Evans age this year. He was 27 last year.

As you said, they played a similar role with similar ES ice time & production but Evans had significantly worst teammates but having a more effective D game. What makes you think Evans couldn’t do it on a contender like Edmonton? If McLeod is a 3C on a cup finalist, why couldn’t Evans be one? If the Sabres doesn’t make the playoff this year, does that mean McLeod is a bad 3C?
No 4C in the league is getting 16 minutes of icetime. That's 3C deployment. Your whole thing is Evans put up 28 points from the 4th line, and that's just not the case.

His most common linemates last year were Gallagher and Anderson, who according to Habs fans don't suck and have value and leadership and grittiness so... yeah. McLeod got a mixed bag of guys like Foegele, Perry, Ryan, Janmark, Holloway, and the odd shift on LW with Leon.

27/28 is a finished product. he's not developing anymore. McLeod, as a 24 year old 3C on a Cup finalist at the time Buffalo traded for him, still had upside to be more than he is - and is *actually* elite defensively. McLeod's problem is he can't finish.

There's a vast gulf of difference between playing 3C on one of the best teams in the league and playing 3C on a team that can't even crack 80 points.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No 4C in the league is getting 16 minutes of icetime. That's 3C deployment. Your whole thing is Evans put up 28 points from the 4th line, and that's just not the case.

His most common linemates last year were Gallagher and Anderson, who according to Habs fans don't suck and have value and leadership and grittiness so... yeah. McLeod got a mixed bag of guys like Foegele, Perry, Ryan, Janmark, Holloway, and the odd shift on LW with Leon.

27/28 is a finished product. he's not developing anymore. McLeod, as a 24 year old 3C on a Cup finalist at the time Buffalo traded for him, still had upside to be more than he is - and is *actually* elite defensively. McLeod's problem is he can't finish.

There's a vast gulf of difference between playing 3C on one of the best teams in the league and playing 3C on a team that can't even crack 80 points.
I never said that. Evans played 3C the whole year after Dach went down and I called him a good 3C, which I think he is on a contender. If he’s your 4C on a playoff team, you’re in good shape.

About the bolded; So is Evans. He’s elite defensively who can put up ~30 points a year. The fact one is 24 or 27 or 35 doesn’t matter when you’re on a playoff run. You’re in the moment. No team would say “Wow McLeod still has untapped potential” when they’re about to play game 5-7 of the SCF. It doesn’t matter just like age won’t matter in April. You want to win, not develop.

For the last part, no, there’s practically no difference, not when both players put up very similar numbers all across the boards. There’s no valid argument that Evans would have done worst or better than McLeod in the playoff. It probably would have been a wash and make no difference whatsoever for Edmonton.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Doesn't matter. We have multiple centers for every line except 1C. And your team doesn't have a 1C. We also need a 1D and a 1G but that's another matter. Otherwise for 2nd tier players, we have "excellent depth".

So, you're statement is a fallacy. Just because you've seen people ask only for high end players, doesn't mean they and particularly we (LAK) don't need only high end players.
Byfield isn't counting?

Just because the freaks play him as winger doesn't mean he isn't actually 1C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad