GDT: Training Camp discussion - Steeves on waivers, Abruzzese cleared and other cuts

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ah, f*** me. Definitely that play with Seider. Hopefully it’s nothing serious since he finished the game and scored two goals en route.
This dude can’t catch a break man

Thankfully only day to day so it shouldn’t be too bad and he will probably be ready to go for opening night

His hands are burned from the hot stick he's been holding

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Interesting enough... they can choose not to sign Patches and Lorentz until after opening day rosters are submitted. We are currently cap compliant, though we'd have to waive Murray. But, we could put Jarnkrok on LTIR, and sign Patches and Lorentz and still be under the cap.

Or trade Jarnkrok, sign Patches and Lorentz and we are still cap compliant.

Reactions: bax and SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Interesting enough... they can choose not to sign Patches and Lorentz until after opening day rosters are submitted. We are currently cap compliant, though we'd have to waive Murray. But, we could put Jarnkrok on LTIR, and sign Patches and Lorentz and still be under the cap.

Or trade Jarnkrok, sign Patches and Lorentz and we are still cap compliant.

Jarnkrok on LTIR could push the problem a bit further down the line. He played yesterday so he can't be that injured? But maybe he needs more time and LTIR fits... I dunno.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
It’s a sign of depth that I feel nervous who will be waived. Myers and Rifai are useful but I don’t see them fitting without a trade.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Jarnkrok on LTIR could push the problem a bit further down the line. He played yesterday so he can't be that injured? But maybe he needs more time and LTIR fits... I dunno.

Oh.. he got hurt yesterday. Badly. ;):laugh:🏝️

It’s a sign of depth that I feel nervous who will be waived. Myers and Rifai are useful but I don’t see them fitting without a trade.
Who would legitimately claim either player, and put them on their roster though? They've had a good camp, and are reasonable players, but I just don't see someone claiming either.

• Haha
Reactions: SprDaVE

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If we waive Rifai he’ll be claimed.
Likely the same for Myers

Probably many players are going to be waived from 31 other teams.

Someone might have more accurate info, but I believe claiming team has to keep them on roster for 30 days or 10 games played?

So you would think a claiming team believes the player in question is better than players they left after waiving their depth players.

likely the best time to waive is when all other teams are waiving.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think ppl forget that if you make a waiver claim, the player has to stay on your NHL roster.
It's not like these depth guys are so good that they are in high demand, especially when every other team is waiving players at the same time.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Probably many players are going to be waived from 31 other teams.

Someone might have more accurate info, but I believe claiming team has to keep them on roster for 30 days or 10 games played?

So you would think a claiming team believes the player in question is better than players they left after waiving their depth players.

likely the best time to waive is when all other teams are waiving.

No unless the rules changed this offseason and I didn't notice you can claim and then waive them the next day if you want to. They have to be on your NHL roster until you choose to waive them(or IR stint if they get injured). The 10 game or 30 days is time spent on a NHL roster before requiring waivers again if they clear once. Also LTIR timeline as well but that's irrelevant to this discussion.

The only way an NHL player can be send down without clearing waivers(if they require waivers) is if only 1 teams claims them and that is a team that originally waived him. Lets say we waive Steeves, Team X claims him, waives him 4 days later, we claim him back, nobody else does, we can send him down.

Reactions: SprDaVE and ULF_55

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not really thinking Myers and/or Rifai will be claimed

Was a lot more concerned someone would grab McMann last year and that didn’t materialize

Reactions: Roo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad