Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tbh since the Drouin injury, we've had the big losing streak and then this 4 games one. Most losses including those 4 were 1 goal games in which we played well. I can see why Bergevin isnt giving up on the season yet and is hopeful to make the playoffs when all the injured come back.
He’s smoking something if he still thinks the Habs have a shot. They are done. It’s not just that they’re a long ways out of a wildcard spot. They need to pass a few teams to get there and in the era of three point games that ain’t happening. And they are not the St. Louis Blues of last year. Not even close.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
This move is like buying a $10 scratch off ticket that can easily win anything up to $1000 but never more. The odds to win are way higher than in any real scratch off ticket though.

Not sure what Kovy hopes to achieve as I cant imagine him doing this hoping to sign for a better team next tear.

If I were Kovy I'd hang them up, settle in the US and start a new life of some kind.

Its not a bad move at 700k.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Desperation signing.

Kovalchuk seems like a poor fit with how MTL plays. We shall see if he re-discovers his speed, I doubt it but who knows?

lok how is this desperation? Habs are depleted due to injuries. This is a smart signing to fill out the team. Habs don’t expect to compete for the cup with recent signings.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011

Tbh Kovalchuk's charts from McCurdy are much friendlier than I would have expected. With him signing a 2-way deal at league minimum, I feel like a team better than Montreal could have picked him up.

That's because McCurdy's charts never seem to account for relevant context

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
As others have said. I get why Montreal would do this. Not Kovalchcuk.

Thank God the Leafs didn't need to do this move.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I don’t get this attitude. He had offers in the khl and like he said he would he accepted basically league minimum on a two way to prove himself.

and a clown like you says he’s here for money....

Lmao relax - it was pop culture reference!!!!!

I can't believe a simple pop reference triggered you to give me a three-sentence reply smh.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I think Kovalchuk is pretty much done and I've said so several times. Acquiring Scandella and Kovalchuk indicates that Bergevin still isn't ready to go for a proper rebuild despite the timing being ideal with all the injuries.

The contract is as good as it can get and it has to be considered that Jordan Weal is currently one of the most used players on the powerplay despite not being NHL caliber and Nick Cousins is currently on the first line despite being at best a 4th liner. But this obsession for the status quo is about to end. I can't imagine any scenario where Price, Bergevin, Julien, Timmins and Bouchard are all with the organization at the beginning of next season. I'd rather see all of them out!

It's time to blow it all up, get someone new at the helm and go all-in on the rebuilding.

Reactions: HabsQC

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I get the move for Montreal.

I don’t get why Kovalchuk did this. I thought he wanted to play for a contender??

I think he realized that he'd rather get playing time. On a contender, he would probably be a bottom line player or a healthy scratch.

With Gallagher, Drouin, Armia, and Byron out for another few weeks to a month, Kovalchuk saw more playing time with the Habs. And that could be his chance to show he's worth signing in the off-season.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Too much of comments about 700k deal.

It's Kovalchuk, there is always a good backstory with him nowadays....... This is exciting news...... Get to unearth the past! Get to project the future!

I read a note by one of his detractors on Twitter a week or so ago that he is even two years older than what it says on paper! Who wouldn't be intrigued.... !!

:popcorn::popcorn: :naughty:

To be honest, it's hard to not be intrigued, he was such an elite and exciting (and for some, polarizing) player for fans long back, its hard not to pay attention.

I'm still curious if he can move the needle for a team like MTL at his current debatable usefulness in the late stages of his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
He’s smoking something if he still thinks the Habs have a shot. They are done. It’s not just that they’re a long ways out of a wildcard spot. They need to pass a few teams to get there and in the era of three point games that ain’t happening. And they are not the St. Louis Blues of last year. Not even close.

We all know that but the man is playing his job right now obviously. It's probably playoffs success this year or he's out, who knows though.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Also worth noting that having the Bell Centre a 15-25 min drive from Place Bell where Laval plays, he can stay in Montreal whether he's up or down.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Kovy was linked hard to the Rangers in 2018. Surprised they could not grab him, especially with Panarin, Buchnevich, Shesterkin and Rykov.

Good move for Montreal. Time to see if he is as burnt out as he was on the Kings.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I get why MTL would do this if they still have playoff aspirations. It's a zero risk move. But why would Kovy go there of all places if his goal is to win a cup? Even completely healthy, that roster is not a playoff roster unless they do some serious overachieving for the rest of the year.

Jan 21, 2018
Kovalchuk is playing 4D chess and we're all here playing checkers. What the heck is the move here?

CIfcqrE.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad