Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I'm curious to see how Kovalchuk does when Montreal is healthy. Would be interesting to see him with playmakers like Drouin...who knows he might do ok at least on their PP.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I get why MTL would do this if they still have playoff aspirations. It's a zero risk move. But why would Kovy go there of all places if his goal is to win a cup? Even completely healthy, that roster is not a playoff roster unless they do some serious overachieving for the rest of the year.

Pretty simple really. If he plays well, Montreal can and should flip him. Contending teams clearly weren't willing to give up a roster spot for him right now. He hasn't played in nearly 2 months. He plays well, contenders will inquire and maybe line up. He's signed before the cut off date, so there's no issue with playoff eligibility. Montreal can eat the whole contract and maximize return. Might only be a 5th, but that's okay for what amounts to a half year contract.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I mean, Montreal takes a low risk move on Ilya for either a run at the playoffs or for potential assets, and Ilya gets a chance to prove he can produce in a top 6 role still before the deadline.

Reactions: Fixxer

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Maybe there were no other teams seriously interested that could garauntee him a spot in their top 9? Idk.

I could see a situation where Bergevin told Kovy that they will give him top 9 minutes and if he turns things around with that opportunity then a contender will likely be willing to trade for him at the deadline.

Might have been his only shot at playing for a contender this year.

Reactions: Fixxer and SeanConn

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Hoping he turns into Kovalev 2.0 I guess?

At least it's 700k. Thought Bargains would sign him for over 2 mil per. Enjoy the show Habs. He's so good....like 15 years ago ;).

Hopefully not the version that got wacked on the hand and skated to the bench giving up a breakaway.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
source.gif

For a trade chip?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Big brain move by Kovalchuk, the Habs have 4 more points than the Kings!

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
At least, that'll make message boards even more entertaining. lol :naughty:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kovalchuk simply wanted to play.

No ill will towards the guy. Good luck to him. Unfortunate it didn't work out in LA.

Reactions: LAKings88

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Throwing **** at the wall here but maybe Montreal moves him at the TDL if they’re out of it and recoup a 4th or something?

Basically bought a draft pick no?

This is the play I would think. The folks thinking this is a desperate move to make the playoffs clearly don’t understand the meaning of the word. Or direction of the team. If anything this is the move of a complacent GM - a relatively small move that may yield a mid round pick at the TDL.

Desperation would have been making a play on Hall.

Habs haven’t made a win now move in years. Traded Max for picks and prospects, Shaw for picks. Picking up a bunch of vet expiring contracts. MB drives Habs fans so mental they can’t see that this is a team that hasn’t been trying very hard to win for a few years, clearly in a rebuild. I expect a bunch of these Vets including Kovy if he plays well plus guys on deals like Kulak/ Tatar move at the deadline for mid round 2020 picks.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Kovalchuk simply wanted to play.

No ill will towards the guy. Good luck to him. Unfortunate it didn't work out in LA.

On Montreal sports radio I thought they said that his agent said there were teams interested but Kovalchuk just wanted to play now and didn't want to wait any longer.

Getting to play an offensive role on an injured Habs team right now should be a good audition for him to show any interested contenders he still has some game left. If he flops though no big deal and everyone just moves on.

I don't see any risk in this move for the Habs or Kovalchuk really. If Kovalchuk plays well the Habs can then move him to a contender at the deadline and the Habs likely get a pick out of it.

Reactions: Eagle Peninsula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad