Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Habs sign Kovalchuck (1 year, $700K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't know if Boston gave him an offer, but that would've been a much better choice. Totally thought Florida would've for sure been interested. But also, Vegas had the cap space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Zero risk for Montreal. And, I actually think the system helps mitigate some of Kovalchuk's weaknesses at this point of his career.

As to Kovalchuk, I suppose this was the best he could find . . .

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I fully anticipate now that general Markov will be signed today as well !

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I don't know if Boston gave him an offer, but that would've been a much better choice.

Boston would have been a much better choice for Kovalchuk. But Kovalchuk would have been an awful choice for Boston. Same for any decent team, really.

Only an extremely desperate team would have gone for an over-the hill, unidimensional headcase who couldn't even earn a spot on a weak and thin roster in LA.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
No matter how bad he is, he’s still better than the likes of Weiss, Hudon and Barber. Very low risk move for the habs until some of their wingers return from injury.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
My view depends on what this was done for. If this was a cheap way to get a warm body to stand in given all the injuries....fine.

If this is Bergevin assessing that the Habs need to make a couple of moves to compete for the playoffs and this was part of that plan...then it’s ridiculous.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
This is like when you need a wedding date and out of desperation you call up your buddy’s ex who used to be awesome but is now insane and probably going to get trashed at the wedding and embarrass you but maybe it’s better than being the guy who doesn’t show up with a date.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
bargain bin special, but habs are ravaged by injuries and molson won't give up on playoffs in january - that's suicide, so even from an optics perspective, it's a wash. I guess CH is hoping gallagher, drouin, armia and byron are all back after the all star game- and carey gets his head out of his ass

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I wonder if this is a springboard to get Kovalchuk to playing speed so that he can be an enticing option around the TDL?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Desperation :
Habs desperate to try and make the playoffs
Kovalchuk desperate to get an NHL deal anywhere

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Him wanting to play for Montreal is a bit weird, but maybe he's just hoping to impress enough to get traded to a contender on the deadline

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Yes King’s are garbage and Montreal is just a victim of bad luck. Super hard to see the Kings down at 27th all the way from up there at 24th...
One team is -23. The other is -1. One is playing in the worst division in hockey. The other is playing in one of the most competetive.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Pretty simple really. If he plays well, Montreal can and should flip him. Contending teams clearly weren't willing to give up a roster spot for him right now. He hasn't played in nearly 2 months. He plays well, contenders will inquire and maybe line up. He's signed before the cut off date, so there's no issue with playoff eligibility. Montreal can eat the whole contract and maximize return. Might only be a 5th, but that's okay for what amounts to a half year contract.

I wouldn't call that simple from Kovy's point of view. Simple would have been just to sign with the team he wants to play out the year with, not hope signing with MTL parlays into a spot on another team that he has no control over.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Montreal is one of Canada’s top modeling cities while also having a pretty amazing music and food scene. Perhaps this signing was more for Mrs. Kovalchuk?

This signing makes me feel a little bad for Habs fans. It shows that management isn’t committed in the slightest to retooling and still see their window as being open despite the recent injuries. Hopefully he returns to form but most of us have our doubts.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In all seriousness this is a fantastic move.

As low risk/high reward a move that can be made. He even has a 2-way contract. If it doesn't work out, absolutely no loss. But he's a high talent/skill player who clearly didn't work out well in LA - maybe a change in scenery can rejuvenate him.

As a Habs fan i like it.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
bargain bin special, but habs are ravaged by injuries and molson won't give up on playoffs in january - that's suicide, so even from an optics perspective, it's a wash. I guess CH is hoping gallagher, drouin, armia and byron are all back after the all star game- and carey gets his head out of his ass

9 more games until the all star break, 97 points or so to make the playoffs. If Habs go .500 and get 9 points before the break, they'll need 46 points in the last 32 games.

A record of something like 21-7-4 just to sneak in the playoffs. They're freaking delusional if they think they still have a shot.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Hopefully both Scandella and Kovy do well and Habs are still out of the PO's come TDL and Bergevin trades both for 2 round picks.

50$ says though that Kovalchuk will end up either mutually terminating his contract when everyone comes back from injury and he ends up on the 4th line, or finish the year on the 4th with PP minutes only.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad