Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't even think its that much of a risk given that the Habs won't be using that capspace this year or next. Its just money. Not my money. Molson's money and its chump change to him.

That's a very misguided take. Laine actually creates offensive opportunities for the Habs kids. We were missing a key winger on the 2nd line to go with Dach / Newhook and Laine fills that perfectgly.

He will make Dach / Newhook better players by virtue of his offense. Exactly what they needed.

Its hilarious that you are desperately grasping at straws trying to crap on what is a master class in GMing.
Laine will not create many offensive opportunities. He never has been a guy who creates for his teammates

What Laine will do is FINISH opportunities at an incredibly high level.

Reactions: MessierII

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I do think that Nick is a great player, it's no slight to him, I just think that Dach makes players who play with him better in a way that Nick just doesn't, I think he makes a better center, provided he reaches his potential. Nick is a good Jack of all trades player. If you can't handle other opinions then don't bother replying.
What outsiders don't know is that Dach was behind the bench at practices.

To say that management's thinks very highly of him is a huge understatement. He's one of our leaders.

And I love the nasty side of him.

Reactions: Guess

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Laine will not create many offensive opportunities. He never has been a guy who creates for his teammates

What Laine will do is FINISH opportunities at an incredibly high level.
He will create finish Dach's passes. Which is exactly what Dach needs. He will create offense with Dach, for Dach through Dach.

at an incredibly high level! ;)

The Hull to his Oates

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
They say laine is an excellent individual weapon, which I think MTL could use 100% (somewhat inconsistent tho. he was atrocious in 20-21, incredible in 21-22, great in 22-23, and poor in 23-24 in terms of individual production

His problem is he doesn't drive play for his teammates all that well and gets caved in defensively

The statement was that the fanbase clearly views it as such based on their statements.

MTLs fanbase clearly seems to think that there are no consequences to making a move that doesn't work out as long as you're rebuilding
In fact, Laine played incredible in the 2022/23 season. Not only in offense, where he did all his partners better, but also in the play without the puck, in defense. At the same time, the partners were weaker than in the 2021/22 season due to many injuries, and he was often injured too.

He played after concussion in the 2023/24 season, we cannot count it.

Btw your stats, there are, not numbers. Only team stats have correctly informations because they count all, injures, who played against whom etc, etc.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
In fact, Laine played incredible in the 2022/23 season. Not only in offense, where he did all his partners better, but also in the play without the puck, in defense. At the same time, the partners were weaker than in the 2021/22 season due to many injuries, and he was often injured too.

He played after concussion in the 2023/24 season, we cannot count it.

Btw your stats, there are, not numbers. Only team stats have correctly informations because they count all, injures, who played against whom etc, etc.
Guy being paid a $9mil cap hit to be a goal scorer scores 22 goals in the 22-23 season, with nearly 40% of them on the powerplay...We're really going to call that "incredible"?

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Cmon guys there's a ton of risk to this deal

- Risk we could still suck in 2 years and ONLY have 20m of cap space for taking on cap dumps

- Risk 21 y old 5th round pick Josh Roy doesn't get PP time

- Risk that our young and impressionable team could all become alcoholics because he was in the players assistance program

- Risk that Draisaitl or Crosby or even McDavid would want to sign with us but wed only have 10-12m in cap so we would HAVE to use some of our dozen second and third round picks to dump a contract.

- Risk that he pots 40 a year and we extend him long term , reducing the cap space available for acquiring veteran 3rd pair D rentals at the deadline during our window.

-Risk we win a cup in a couple years and the sheer overwhelming volume of salty salty tears flowing into the Fleuve from Ontario causes a Tsunami flood wave that dislodges Montreal Island and flushes us out into the Atlantic

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You don't understand the point mtl fans are making.

We. Do. Not. Care. about 8.7 million.

Would you rather us spend that on a #4D and a bottom 6 player? Then we wouldn't be *wasting it* in your eyes.

Its either Laine works out or "Oh no Laine sucks.....anyways......moving on "
No I'm more than fine with spending this money on laine. he's a high risk, high reward player based on his inconsistency, health, personal issues, talent, and cap hit.

My favourite use of money by a tanking team this offseason was Chicago. (they're also a team with money so a pretty decent comparable to MTL in that way)

Adding Martinez and Brodie as a stable, veteran presence to help shelter Korchinski and Vlasic as they develop is excellent work. Teuvo as a top 6 forward who can drive play, be defensively responsible, and be quite effective on the PP is again very tidy work.

Mikheyev is a sneaky excellent 5v5 point producer (who they got paid to take same as , as is bertuzzi (and he's got some upside to him).

Vlasic and Guhle are very comparable young dman, so I'll give props to Davidson there for getting his guy 6 mill cheaper.

imo I'd rather have Teuvo+Mikheyev than Laine. Both are good moves tho.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Guy being paid a $9mil cap hit to be a goal scorer scores 22 goals in the 22-23 season, with nearly 40% of them on the powerplay...We're really going to call that "incredible"?
He had more goals in 5v5 with Roslovic than Reinhart with Barkov although he played only 55 games. Also their d-men were not Montour, Ekblad and Forsling but Peeke, Gudbranson and Bernie (Werenski injured in 13th game). One played better without Gaudreau. Btw, Gaudreau had worse PPG.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No I'm more than fine with spending this money on laine. he's a high risk, high reward player based on his inconsistency, health, personal issues, talent, and cap hit.

My favourite use of money by a tanking team this offseason was Chicago. (they're also a team with money so a pretty decent comparable to MTL in that way)

Adding Martinez and Brodie as a stable, veteran presence to help shelter Korchinski and Vlasic as they develop is excellent work. Teuvo as a top 6 forward who can drive play, be defensively responsible, and be quite effective on the PP is again very tidy work.

Mikheyev is a sneaky excellent 5v5 point producer (who they got paid to take same as , as is bertuzzi (and he's got some upside to him).

Vlasic and Guhle are very comparable young dman, so I'll give props to Davidson there for getting his guy 6 mill cheaper.

imo I'd rather have Teuvo+Mikheyev than Laine. Both are good moves tho.
My kudos to the NJD for recognizing Holtz to be a complete bust and parlay him into a dime a dozen 4th liner. Wasn't Holtz the guy you were proposing as the base offer for Guhle? Comparing him to Newhook! ;) LOL

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The leadership group is strong enough in Montreal to make him fall in line. If not, MSL is smart enough to make him believe in something greater than himself.

Odd chance that his 6 months into the program made him realize he isn’t the main character and not everything resolve around him. I know he used to act and talk this way. I think the bet here is Habs brass believe a mix of the leadership group and Laine turning a new leaf will be enough to make him fall in line.
I bet Blake thought the same way with PLD too, and now McLellan. Good luck to you guys. I like your team, hope Suzuki rewards you guys with his leadership.

Reactions: jsol

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
My kudos to the NJD for recognizing Holtz to be a complete bust and parlay him into a dime a dozen 4th liner. Wasn't Holtz the guy you were proposing as the base offer for Guhle? Comparing him to Newhook! ;) LOL
My offer for Guhle was pretty consistently built around 10th overall.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Damn shame that kirby dach is unable to outproduce a "dime a dozen 4th liner" despite playing alongside Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 8.25.25 PM.png

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Except Laine is 26, still very talented and Montreal will be the youngest team in the NHL next season.

That being said, who knows what Laine will show up when the season begins. Let's hope he puts on a good show, right?
The main question is: Will he be a Semin, a Radulov or a Radulov+ ?

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Yes, they can use the 8 million $ in LTIR relief this year. Nobody is claiming MTL will not be able to ice a cap compliant roster.

What they can't do is pay off ELC bonuses that will be earned by Hutson, Slafkovsky, and Guhle this year, because they will not accrue any space towards that (unless they free up space at the deadline, and have 0 injured players from the deadline on)

And so, since they will not be able to pay those bonuses on this years cap, it will toll over and be taken out of MTLs 25-26 salary cap.

I 100% agree. It's a good risk to take.
Thats extremely little risk for a top 6 players the habs desperately needed. How much would they had to pay for Necas or Zegras? They would of had to give at least a 1st rounder (instead of earning a 2nd rounder) for a player that is inferior to Laine.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Jake Guentzel is a superior talent and quite literally was available as a free agent like a month ago.
Yeah and im sure he would have loved to join a rebuilding team right? And isn't he like 30 years old already? Even if by miracle he would sign with a rebuilding team, his term wouldn't fit Montreal's window of competitiveness at all. Think before you spit more bullshit.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah and im sure he would have loved to join a rebuilding team right? And isn't he like 30 years old already? Even if by miracle he would sign with a rebuilding team, his term wouldn't fit Montreal's window of competitiveness at all. Think before you spit more bullshit.
It doesn't have to be Guentzel specifically.

The year before that Johnny Gaudeau coming off a 115 point season hit UFA.

A high priced stud winger usually comes to UFA about once a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad