Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah, it just seems a bit strange to me as MTL isn’t good enough where Laine will bolster them for a strong season nor are they bad enough where you’d want a decent player or two so your young guys with potential aren’t playing with 3rd liners and spare parts on the 1st line. Maybe I’m mistaken but I think Montreal has enough talent where they can bounce off of each other and don’t really need a talent injection into the lineup. I don’t think it’s a bad move but it’s more of a “meh, why?” move to me. It’s possible they really put it together and take a huge step forward this year though, I suppose.
At some point you need to let the kids have room to grow in a team that isn't just losing and losing and losing. The gamble makes sense to me. It's one I'd have preferred we get to make, but, well, he apparently wasn't going to stay.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
what happens if Flames pick top 10 picks
It's a confusing set of conditions, but basically the only way habs can pick in the top 10 with that pick - is if both Calgary and Florida both end up in the bottom 10 of the league. Mtl has the lower of those two picks.

e.g so if florida drafts 26th and Calgary drafts 8th - flames cede the panther pick to Montreal

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Even when we're past the cap freeze, teams still have to move picks when trading useful forwards? I just don't get it.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So Habs got their savior? Great to have someone who the young guys can look up to, and learn how to break out from teams.

Dont understand this move, didnt understand the Tavares move either where Leafs was at the time., and Tavares was a productive C back then

Laine is a project right know and that cap even för 2 years is really a bad signal för the group. Doesnt move the needle either..
Suzuki Caufield Slafkovsky Guhle are all signed long term already. I don't see the parallel with Tavares who was brought in a year before resigning their young core.

Don't think it's the best fit and he's the Savior, but we got paid to take him... It's worth the risk because it's only 2 years.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I mean Slaf is.a complete unknown at this point, Suzuki is not a 1c on a playoff team and Dach and Newhook are reclamation projects at this point Laine is a stud and I think Demidov will be as well but let's be real look at top teams and their top sizes. Teams like the oilers, nucks, bolts Avs have multiple 100 point players.

Love the trade but him next to Dach this year doesn't look great, at least play your best winger and player with the top centre option.
Why would Caufield get that spot?
What the hell is that??? Suzuki is definitely a 1c on a playoff team. Dach and Newhook arent reclamation project anymore. They showed what they could do on a top6 role. The key point for them is to stay healthy like Laine. Out of the 4 team you listed, only 2 had multiple 100pts players this year. And Caufield have been better than Laine in the last 2 season and his line with Slaf/Zuk have been in fire so why would they change that?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
They already have Cole Canfield who has been a good fit with Suzuki and Slaf. I think Laine will be on the second line with Kirby Dach as his centre.
And Newhook on the other wing, all three of Hughes acquisitions. I f you look at the net cost of those trades from when Kent took over. He turned Alex Romanov, Ben Chiarot, Jordan Harris and a 3rd round pick into Dach- Newhook- Laine.

Trades Chiarot for a 1st, 4th and spare parts.
Trades Romanov and a 4th for a 1st
Trades that 1st and a 3rd for Dach.
Trades the Chiarot 1st and a 2nd for Newhook.
Trades Harris for Laine and a 2nd.

The 2nds and 4ths offset. net is Chiarot, Romanov, Harris and the 3rd that went to Hawks.

I wonder if Kent will go help me negotiate the purchase of a new car, Seems pretty good at this. I'm sure he can turn a 6 year old truck and an 11 yr old civic into Lambo for me.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No actually what you said was “horrific for MTL” which is just objectively not true even if I didn’t want Laine

Habs got paid to take him
What would you call giving away 17.5M in cap space and getting basically a 3rd round pick in value back? I'd want a 1st for that kind of cap space. Heck, you got a 1st for taking 6.3M back. This is 3 times that.

• Haha
Reactions: calder candidate

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Lmfao, the Jets seriously did win this trade after all.

LA has Kuemper to show.
Columbus has Jordan Harris and a draft pick (4th 2026)
Winnipeg has Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, Zhilkin and Freij (I also expect us to trade Vilardi for a good haul if he wants more money or out of Winnipeg)

I seriously do think Montreal wins this trade and Laine turns it around there big time. Not just that, he helps improve Montreal a lot and I believe St. Louis is going to help turn him into the star he's meant to be. I think he'll have excellent chemistry with Kirby Dach too! Kind of wish they sent Josh Anderson as well.

Gonna guess Laine rocks 92.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Or maybe with how it went with Winnipeg/CBJ a place like Montreal is what he needs. ;)
I can see it. The media attention never seemed to bother him in Winnipeg, so having that same star power in a major city might be exactly what it takes to turn his frown upside down.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can't even go to the loo...and Hughes flips the world on us.

I'm OK with the cost of getting him which is all I cared about. If he's the second coming of Lafleur, great, if he's a flop, no big loss of assets.

I'm impressed with Hughes...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Wow Habs haters destroyed on this one. Lots of scrambling to find the new narrative now that Hughes absolutely robbed Waddell. Oh and btw Ryder Halak and a 2nd is/was an excellent package the joke needs to die
Hughes has just spiked on Habs haters like nobody's business. CBJ fans had me convinced Laine had value. Now its entertaining to read the narrative change due lessen the fleecing.

Hughes is a god.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Hughes has just spiked on Habs haters like nobody's business. CBJ fans had me convinced Laine had value. Now its entertaining to read the narrative change due lessen the fleecing.

Hughes is a god.
Laine was in PAP because of psychical problems and wanted to leave Columbus. Btw, do not forget his psychical problems were minimum from December 2023 I think. Hughes used it.

Patrik is a great player and if his new condition coach is better than coaches before, he will play like a TOP player. Btw Werenski said if he is health one is a TOP NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad