Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Is Harris considered any good? I watched him a bit as a college player but never kept super close eyes on him. I imagine he was probably a bit redundant with Montreal being deep on PMD prospects with guys like Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher
He's ok. Likely never a strong top 4, but could be in the top 4 in a complementary role.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
MTL most likely was the only team in the league willing to take Laine. Not a fleecing
Agreed, and Hughes is the king of taking on another team's salary woes/problem child for a high pick..And then flipping that asset at trade deadline for another high pick. It's a no-brainer for Habs, nothing at all to lose.

Reactions: SENStastic

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
So Habs got their savior? Great to have someone who the young guys can look up to, and learn how to break out from teams.

Dont understand this move, didnt understand the Tavares move either where Leafs was at the time., and Tavares was a productive C back then

Laine is a project right know and that cap even för 2 years is really a bad signal för the group. Doesnt move the needle either..

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
A year from now:

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Laine-Dach-Demidov
Anderson-Newhook-Roy

Sexy top 9.
I mean Slaf is.a complete unknown at this point, Suzuki is not a 1c on a playoff team and Dach and Newhook are reclamation projects at this point Laine is a stud and I think Demidov will be as well but let's be real look at top teams and their top sizes. Teams like the oilers, nucks, bolts Avs have multiple 100 point players.

Love the trade but him next to Dach this year doesn't look great, at least play your best winger and player with the top centre option.
Why would Caufield get that spot?

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Just remember. Uncle Double Dion told you about that Drouin trade you all loved too. This is not as bad, but still not good. The Habs should have stuck with their building program. The last thing they needed was a guy whose only use is firing one timers on the PP.
How does this move take away from the Habs rebuilding? This isn't some long-term boat anchor for an over 30 yr. old a la Huberdeau. If Laine proves to not be worth it then he's gone after two seasons, about the time Demidov will be ready for prime-time and Price's contract comes off the books. They're also likely to clear over 16.5 million off the books by season's end by moving on from UFAs Dvorak, Armia, Savard and the clearing of their retention spots, so PLENTY of cap space to resign Laine if he does work out. And the Habs add an asset in what will likely be a pick in the 30s. Three 1sts, four 2nds, four 3rds, four 4ths in the next two drafts, plus what they may get from moving those UFAs at the deadline, will help continue the rebuild just fine. You're just talkin' corn.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Only thing im surprised about is CBJ actually pulled the trigger in a “dump” level trade.
(I realize Laine value to teams was negative)

If I’m CBJ, I don’t bend. I’d tell Laine to get to camp or they’ll send a grievance to the league to void contract.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Harris is underrated. He's not physical and not an offensive juggernaut but he's a smart player and has yet to reach his potential. I think in a few years, he's gonna surprise a lot of people. But the Habs just had too many Ds.

Reactions: Runner77

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm agree that they're not worlds apart. However, the difference imo is that a lot of the Habs young core was acquired before these difficult seasons following the finals appearance. Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov which turned into Dach who's the same age as Suzuki, Newhook is that age too. Mailloux is a promising defenseman drafted by the previous management.
Werenski, Voronkov, Marchenko, Chinakhov, Tarasov. Picked up Christiansen and Greaves as overage UFA signings around the same age group although it was after the rebuild started.
We've added Slafkovsky, Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson and Jacob Fowler to this foundation since then, which means the Habs rebuild and turnaround are going to be quicker, since their U25 pool is quite deeper.
Yeah; we've since added Fantilli (as acknowledged), Lindstrom, KJ, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Sillinger, Brindley, and Svozil. And a few others that could also turn out of the like that I'm pretty sure Montreal has too. We're very side-by-side; it's entirely a question of whose key guys break out first and it could all very well happen around the same time.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Doesn't change the fact that Habs fans loved it at the time. This one isn't as bad because you aren't giving up a top prospect. It's a waste of cap space on a player who helps you lose instead of win. Take a look at Laine's goals against per 60 at ES and then tell me how good a trade this is.
It's got nothing to do with it for that exact reason. Also the Drouin trade was made in a different scenario when we were tight to the cap and signing Drouin made it unlikely to re-sign Radulov and Markov. The team would have been better not making that trade if they could just sign their guys, even if Sergachev stayed in juniors that year.

It seems like you are just trying to troll fans, so if for any reason, you come back with nonsense after this, I will leave it be this time around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad