Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Not sure Mtl’s cap situation but if they can take on Laine’s salary without issue then it’s an alright trade for both teams. Laine is clearly a grossly overpaid player at this point with lots of games being missed as well. I guess this means that MTL is going for it a bit next season? If I was there GM I would have rode this season out without this trade and see where the team stands in their rebuild. I don’t think Laine is good enough to make them a “rebuild finished, let’s go for it” team, and I would have preferred staying the course and possibly getting a higher pick as Laine should help them somewhat, but not a ton
I believe part of this deal was Habs management backing up their earlier statement of expecting improvement this coming season after another quiet summer. It injects a bit of hope into their scoring ability, at least on paper. According to Hughes, they won't even need to put Carey Price on LTIR to start the season at this point.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Better than a bonus. That will be a high 2nd. Columbus roster still looking like a dumpster fire. They have basically the same returning roster minus an oft injured but talented winger got an oft injured 2nd line C forced into the top C position. This is a lotto contending roster.
If they are a dumpster fire, their first round pick will be high and second will be low. Snake draft right?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Laine didn't seem to have any value with his contract. That is, Harris for 2nd was probably fair, and so Laine was free.

Does that mean that Laine would have made 8.7mil for 2 years had he been a UFA? There's no way, right?

And if that's the case, then this has to be a loss for the Habs.
The reason Laine was free is his contract.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Unreal.

I truly thought we would retain and get some more back (or not have to send assets to move him)before we would trade him as a cap dump. Laine must've been extremely clear he didn't want to start the season here and ownership must've been pretty clear about not retaining.

Well...at least we have a ton of space and don't have to RELY on JMFJ all season next year...
Columbus has been a shit show for the last several years. Now they have a new coach and a bunch of young players they are trying to develop. Obviously they valued giving the guys who remain a chance to succeed and turn the page without the distraction of a guy who didn't want to be there. The return was not their primary concern.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Jealous much?
No, we already have a forward who makes too much money and only plays one end of the ice. Huberdeau is Laine except even more absurdly expensive for what he brings.

In what bizzaro world is this bad for The Habs?

Never mind, I just saw who the poster was.....The Habs could have gotten McDavid for a 3rd and he would say it was bad for The Habs.....
I said well before the Habs traded for him that Laine was a net detriment on the ice. I don't know where you get that I hate the Habs. I hate the Oilers. Especially now that they are good. Secondarily I hate the Canucks. The Habs are largely irrelevant to me.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal and Columbus have been pretty much neck-and-neck the last two seasons. The season prior to those y'all were well behind us (having fallen into drafting 1st overall). The teams have so far appeared side-by-side in rebuild progress. Therefore, presuming Columbus has "several years yet" of doomsday is only applicable if you have a similar expectation for Montreal.
I'm agree that they're not worlds apart. However, the difference imo is that a lot of the Habs young core was acquired before these difficult seasons following the finals appearance. Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov which turned into Dach who's the same age as Suzuki, Newhook is that age too. Mailloux is a promising defenseman drafted by the previous management.

We've added Slafkovsky, Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson and Jacob Fowler to this foundation since then, which means the Habs rebuild and turnaround are going to be quicker, since their U25 pool is quite deeper. It's just a prediction though, Colombud added great pieces too and Fantilli could easily explode this year and help them take the next step.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Good one lmao
Just remember. Uncle Double Dion told you about that Drouin trade you all loved too. This is not as bad, but still not good. The Habs should have stuck with their building program. The last thing they needed was a guy whose only use is firing one timers on the PP.

Spacehabs

Mar 3, 2020
Funny how I propose in June Harris and a first CGY for Laine and every blue jackets fans told me typical Habs proposal hahahaha in your teeth

Reactions: Strat and ReHabs

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I believe part of this deal was Habs management backing up their earlier statement of expecting improvement this coming season after another quiet summer. It injects a bit of hope into their scoring ability, at least on paper. According to Hughes, they won't even need to put Carey Price on LTIR to start the season at this point.
I could be wrong, but Montreal might be a little over $2mil above the cap with the acquisition of Patrik Laine and with Price on LTIR.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Just remember. Uncle Double Dion told you about that Drouin trade you all loved too. This is not as bad, but still not good. The Habs should have stuck with their building program. The last thing they needed was a guy whose only use is firing one timers on the PP.
Brother do me a favour and search my post history for “Drouin” real quick, I f***ing hate him and hated that trade

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Yeah, it just seems a bit strange to me as MTL isn’t good enough where Laine will bolster them for a strong season nor are they bad enough where you’d want a decent player or two so your young guys with potential aren’t playing with 3rd liners and spare parts on the 1st line. Maybe I’m mistaken but I think Montreal has enough talent where they can bounce off of each other and don’t really need a talent injection into the lineup. I don’t think it’s a bad move but it’s more of a “meh, why?” move to me. It’s possible they really put it together and take a huge step forward this year though, I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
MTL most likely was the only team in the league willing to take Laine. Not a fleecing

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
It doesn't get any bigger or better than Montreal, i want to believe that we'll see the best out of Laine. And never, i mean never, play him as a center.

At this point i think it's safe to say that he is not the easiest person, and i hope he looks in the mirror before flying to Montreal. I hope they don't expect another Saku there :D

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Habs should have stuck with their building program. The last thing they needed was a guy whose only use is firing one timers on the PP.
076dff80bc8b476486c2b9dc85bbf4c7_front.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad