Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Woooot

Excited for Laine! A 2nd is a bonus
Very nice 😀

Better than a bonus. That will be a high 2nd. Columbus roster still looking like a dumpster fire. They have basically the same returning roster minus an oft injured but talented winger got an oft injured 2nd line C forced into the top C position. This is a lotto contending roster.

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I rather liked Harris. Columbus receives a serviceable defenseman who can play both sides. He's not a scrub by any means. Waddell did ok.

Laine's skillset is undeniable but I keep getting that PLD vibe. If he wants to be appreciated as a hockey player, there is no better place than Montreal. Just ask Alex Kovalev. He'd better get ready for it though.
Me too but this also solves one of the issues on defense. There was a log jam and Harris was likely traded anyways.....

Reactions: kyne

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
  • Laine-Dach-Newhook would be a nice line this year.
  • Laine-Dach-Demidov next year

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
This is the 8.7x 2 million dollar question imo and no one knows. Best hypothesis we've heard is he's been dealing with depression after his Dad passed away but it's based on absolutely nothing.

Edit: "Absolutely nothing" is probably an overstatement, but we don't know for sure what is going on.

No, I get that. But what does his dad passing have to do with Columbus?

Reactions: thebus88

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hope it works out for him.

Not a fan of him as a player, I think he’s gotten more rope than most due to draft position. He’s not a particularly impactful player.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No we won't. We received payment to take him in so i don't think anyone really expects anything out of him and if anything he gives us more assets if he can find his game again like Monahan.

The pressure would be different if we gave away Sergachev and a 2nd for him. It's all relative.

LOL
$8.7 million AAV and nobody has expectations for him?

Yeah Ok

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Great work by Montreal to put their cap space to work and bring in a guy who has shown flashes of elite play while still fitting nicely into the average age of their core. Columbus was never going to get good value here, but some of the chest-thumping about that not being the case sure was entertaining.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Pretty much Laine for free and a 2nd for Harris

Good trade for both teams.

Montreal unclogs the jam on the backend.

Columbus gets rid of the Laine drama show and can concentrate on hockey.

Montreal gains a 2nd round pick: maybe can be used in a package for Askarov??

Columbus frees up a boatload of cap space and gains a serviceable youngish Dman.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine didn't seem to have any value with his contract. That is, Harris for 2nd was probably fair, and so Laine was free.

Does that mean that Laine would have made 8.7mil for 2 years had he been a UFA? There's no way, right?

And if that's the case, then this has to be a loss for the Habs.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I've said a few times this thread that this is a great gamble for Montreal. That said, it is funny how we've read how junk Laine is for months and now he's some sort of Jackpot.

I don't hate this for us at all. Didn't need to see more floating 30 games a year.

Reactions: squashmaple

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Great work by Montreal to put their cap space to work and bring in a guy who has shown flashes of elite play while still fitting nicely into the average age of their core. Columbus was never going to get good value here, but some of the chest-thumping about that not being the case sure was entertaining.

Montreal is now better than Toronto

and I leave it there

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I've said a few times this thread that this is a great gamble for Montreal. That said, it is funny how we've read how junk Laine is for months and now he's some sort of Jackpot.

I don't hate this for us at all. Didn't need to see more floating 30 games a year.
Most people pointed out Laine's contract was very detrimental to his value. Looks like it was the case.

Now let's see if Columbus really spends that money on players or just keeps it in the owner pockets.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
it's a win for Montreal today

in 2 years they will be saying thank God that contract is up
There’s very little cap pressure on the Habs. All the important contracts have been signed. Carey Price expires in two years too.

Chill bro

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Not sure Mtl’s cap situation but if they can take on Laine’s salary without issue then it’s an alright trade for both teams. Laine is clearly a grossly overpaid player at this point with lots of games being missed as well. I guess this means that MTL is going for it a bit next season? If I was there GM I would have rode this season out without this trade and see where the team stands in their rebuild. I don’t think Laine is good enough to make them a “rebuild finished, let’s go for it” team, and I would have preferred staying the course and possibly getting a higher pick as Laine should help them somewhat, but not a ton

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
the guy is ppg in CBJ and we got him for nothing what do you expect the reaction to be , zero risk for us even if Laine poops the bed its a nothing burger for us
It is well worth the gamble for Montreal. Low risk, potentially high reward.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

For CBJ the big win is not retaining anything and getting a clean break. Paying a 2nd for Harris is an overpayment but in this package it’s evidentially market value.

For MTL the cap hit was undeniably onerous but ultimately not impactful/threatening enough to turn the Habs off from his potential upside.

Win win win

Biggest surprise to me is Montreal having that much cap space halfway through August
Hughes very wisely didn’t spend big on the UFA market. Some dog shit contracts were handed out and Hughes avoided it all together. It took confidence on his part, I have to tip my hat to him… I’m not typically a “management fan”

Reactions: BLONG7

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Kinda funny how the CBJ narrative flipped the past few days. Feels like it basically went from "We support you Patrik and want to help you get better" to GTFO in the last week lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad