Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

knight23

Aug 13, 2024
The Laine means right at new club.

The Laine get right pay.

Finns get 8 Million $ per season. ❓

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think so. Habs D are still too young. They will take a beating next year but possibly in 2 years they will make a turn.
Maybe that's true but I don't think the media will see it that way. I think there's real pressure probably more internally too. Going by what I'm reading on here most Habs fans believe Suzuki is an elite #1 center, Montembeault is a legit starter, Hutson is going to be Quinn Hughes and will compete for the Calder. Dach is a legit top 6 center and Guhle is a legit future top pairing d man same level as Sanderson, Seider, Power etc. Not to mention Caufield, Slafkovsky, Newhook and now Laine.

What are you trying to say here? The Habs were the only team to call and got this awesome steal?

No one wanted Laine for a reason
Not even a Habs fan but your schtick is sad.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maybe that's true but I don't think the media will see it that way. I think there's real pressure probably more internally too. Going by what I'm reading on here most Habs fans believe Suzuki is an elite #1 center, Montembeault is a legit starter, Hutson is going to be Quinn Hughes and will compete for the Calder. Dach is a legit top 6 center and Guhle is a legit future top pairing d man same level as Sanderson, Seider, Power etc. Not to mention Caufield, Slafkovsky, Newhook and now Laine.
There's zero pressure in Montreal at least for another 2 years. Fans understand they are in the rebuild and just enjoying watching the player development. This is a perfect environment for Laine. He doesn't have to do anything. Like Gallagher and Josh Anderson, he can massively under-perform and it doesn't matter.

Habs will likely rehabilitate Laine then trade him at a TDL at 50% cap for a massive return.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Of course he's not a perfect player otherwise we couldn't have him for free... He has a top 10 shot in the league and he's huge. Of he can be serious about hockey it will be a great move. If not it's not the end of the world because the next 2 years aren't/weren't our optimal window.

The risk isnt moneywise, its that he hasnt been a leader by example.

Think he need to come to a team where there are real stars(Mcd,Mckinnon etc, and he cant escape the whole work.

Talent is 1 thing, but it not taking you the whole way. The best talent is those who can train hard and get better.

Seems more of a publicity stunt from Gm. then making the team better.

Reactions: bert

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I remember when people complained they should have drafted Laine over Matthews. Even Pronman I believe had Laine at #1. Laughable.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Harris wouldn't been traded but Canadiens overstocked on D.

I think he most certainly would have been traded before the season. Harris required waivers, whereas many of the other young Habs defenseman do not, meaning Harris was a player they risked losing for nothing and he certainly wasn't a lock to stay on the NHL roster all season so I suspect Hughes was planning to move him at some point before the season began.

Reactions: calder candidate

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Going in the player assistance program definitely hurts player’s value. It shouldn’t but it does. Hopefully this doesn’t discourage players from entering the program.
If anything it will encourage them , Laine got the help he wanted in the end + got out of somewhere he did not want to be , then again it won't be a cakewalk here

Reactions: Guess

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Hughes has just spiked on Habs haters like nobody's business. CBJ fans had me convinced Laine had value. Now its entertaining to read the narrative change due lessen the fleecing.

Hughes is a god.
If you go check those posts, most of them are under the condition of retention and/or him being able to play a few months to regain some value.

The situation has changed when it's become apparent Laine just wanted out at all costs and Waddell/ownership refused to retain.

That changes everything.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm just trying to figure out if...

Demigod comes over by Octomber

Dach stays healthy

Laine settles down

I think the Habs will finish with at least 5 more points...:laugh:

Evergreen

wonder if he'll play the point on the PP
I'm also curious how he fits in since Caufield usually lines up in the same spot on the PP in which Laine has had most of his success. I wonder if they switch Caufield to the bumper position. I think he'd actually do great there. Suzuki on the half wall, Slafkovsky in front of the net/gathering pucks in the corners, Matheson at the point, Laine in his office for one-timers, and Caufield in the bumper like Brayden Point. I think that could be a pretty potent PP. It would be better if Matheson were a righty.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Even if its zero, the Habs got a 2nd. lol
and a huge contract for two years. $20 million locked up between Gally, Anderson, and Laine is not going to be fun for Hughes. Until other contracts are off the books it will harder for him to do his usual wheeling and dealing.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If you go check those posts, most of them are under the condition of retention and/or him being able to play a few months to regain some value.

The situation has changed when it's become apparent Laine just wanted out at all costs and Waddell/ownership refused to retain.

That changes everything.
I agree. As soon as Laine made it clear he wanted out, it tanked his value. I think that's why Waddell was so open and honest in his message to the media. He knew he was getting fleeced and wanted to make it clear there was nothing he could do about it but just make the deal and get him out of dogge.

and a huge contract for two years. $20 million locked up between Gally, Anderson, and Laine is not going to be fun for Hughes. Until other contracts are off the books it will harder for him to do his usual wheeling and dealing.
No one cares about the capspace as we aren't using it for at least 3 years. Habs still have 9M in capspace after Price goes on LTIR.

Habs are rebuilding an more than willing to take gambles on players like Laine (or Monahan). The last gamble turned into 2 x 1sts. Hughes just leveraged his cap for longterm gain.

This is just brilliant GM'ing.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I agree. As soon as Laine made it clear he wanted out, it tanked his value. I think that's why Waddell was so open and honest in his message to the media. He knew he was getting fleeced and wanted to make it clear there was nothing he could do about it but just make the deal and get him out of dogge.

No one cares about the capspace as we aren't using it for at least 3 years. Habs still have 9M in capspace after Price goes on LTIR.

Habs are rebuilding an more than willing to take gambles on players like Laine (or Monahan). The last gamble turned into 2 x 1sts. Hughes just leveraged his cap for longterm gain.

This is just brilliant GM'ing.
And the Hab's could have used that cap space to get other players via trades/UFA/offersheet.

Yes they opened up an avenue to get some more "trade currency" but they also shutdown a different path for awhile.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Gorton, Hughes, St Louis, had a conversation with Laine this weekend. He told them he wanted to play in Montreal and was in a great mindset. We'll see I guess.

Also, Pascal Vincent who is now with the Montreal Canadiens, was his HC with Columbus and also his a-HC in Winnipeg. I'm sure he weighed in and probably tilted it the right way.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Luckily Waddell is in the situation where it doesn't feel like a "sunken cost" he's simply doing whats best for the team and moving on.

It's sucks for us as fans to see a 3rd overall essentially turn into Harris. Hopefully he works out 😂

Reactions: bert

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
And the Hab's could have used that cap space to get other players via trades/UFA/offersheet.

Yes they opened up an avenue to get some more "trade currency" but they also shutdown a different path for awhile.
They can still get other players via trades/UFA/offersheet. They have 9M in capspace when Price is LTIR'd and they have >15M coming off the books next offseason (Dvorak/Armia/Savard + retained cap/dead cap).

Hughes leveraged some capspace and left room to do it again if he so chooses!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad