Rumor: Cam Fowler potentially available, Gibson, too

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Fowler can play the right side, I think Edmonton should make a big push for him.
I mean he would probably have a career year in Edmonton putting up 50+ points, using his speed to move the puck out of the Dzone and then McDavid or Draisaitl turns it into a point and Fowler gets an assist.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gibson is just so tough to move with that contract. There's a ton of expensive risk involved. Not sure there's much that would make sense, other than some sort of swap for a different expensive goalie...and just hope and pray he bounces back in a different, better defensive situation. He still sort of passes the eye test, but it seems like with age, he's been exposed particularly by the sort of chances that Anaheim bleeds in front of him. On a team that can protect against second chances, corral rebounds he might let out, cut down on cross crease tap-in type puck movement...i could see him still playing at a reasonably high level. But that stuff that has dropped off in his game seems exacerbated by the Ducks defence lacking the ability to stymie those sorts of opportunities.

Which leads to Fowler...who would honestly be a great pickup for a team that can slot him in more appropriately as a sort of #3D, rather than just being the guy who gets sent out there as a bit of a martyr, to get caved in with tough matchups and huge minutes. He's still a good, mobile, puck moving D who could easily handle secondary matchups, especially with a solid reliable partner. I think his contract is a lot easier to move too. $6M is not bad for a Top-3D in today's market. As long as he's willing to go to pretty much any team that'd want him (mostly just going to be playoff or at least bubble teams), i think he's plenty moveable, and for value even. Though naturally, with that kind of $$$ moving, there'd probably have to be a "cap offset" coming back the other way. Most teams that would be in on him are pretty tight to the cap.

I'd happily take Fowler on the Canucks. Add some more mobility and puck-moving ability outside of Hughes-Hronek. Anchor a 2nd pairing. But i'm not really sure there's anything realistic that would make the cap work there...short of max retention for the remainder of the deal, which i'm not sure the Ducks would be that interested in.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Fowler can play the right side, I think Edmonton should make a big push for him.
Absolutely they should. Unfortunately, the only cap dump we have to send back has a full NMC and is buddies with McDavid, so I don't know how we could make the salary work. At 5M, Fowler is a good value add, but we really need him beside Nurse, not instead of Nurse, and Nurse wouldn't waive, so the only real option that could be out there is Evander Kane, and 1) he has a full NTC until March, and even then, I can't see a situation where he puts Anaheim as one of the 16 teams he would accept a trade to - even if the Ducks had interest in him, which wouldn't make sense.

I just don't see how it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad