Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah but Laine at that salary has negative value, for now at least.
For a contending team I would agree...but Montreal was in the best position to leverage that cap hit against what they already have, for the next two years, after having already locked up the majority of its core.

Harris was going to be losing his place on the team with Hutson and Reinbacher set to potentially earn spots. Now things are less complicated on the left side and they get two years to try and figure out if MSL can work his magic with Laine. If not, he moves on and you have 8M in cap space right when they are going to be pushing for yearly playoffs.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
wow this could be very good for montreal, if laine can return to form.

I have a question for habs fans, is it likely that they play both dach and newhook top 6 with one being RW, or are they gonna go Suzuki-Newhook-Dach down the middle.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf made great progress over the second half of the season. If Laine - Newhook - Dach can turn it up than that gives montreal a good offensive second line. Laine can really excel as a goal scorer if he can find his footing

not to mention the price wasn't too bad neither is the term of laine if this doesn't pan out, all around good trade for montreal IMO
Most likely Suzuki-Dach-Dvorak with Newhook moving to C if someone is injured or when/if we move Dvorak

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Not sure Montreal is the best place for him due to pressure, but he certainly has upside. The problem is he never seems to be able to string muchof it together for long enough to ammount to much.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Wow Habs haters destroyed on this one. Lots of scrambling to find the new narrative now that Hughes absolutely robbed Waddell. Oh and btw Ryder Halak and a 2nd is/was an excellent package the joke needs to die
tbf Waddell kinda had his hands tied

I read somewhere that Laine told him he wanted out the second he got there, not really the best position to deal from but yea montreal made a good deal here

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Habs probably got Laine for free, but needed to clear a contract, so Harris was sent the other way for a second.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
That is a naive way to look at it.

Sure, on the team, he won't be the focal point. In the media though? He is now the biggest name they have... in a market that has been starving for an offensive star since Kovalev has left... and even he was kind of a manufactured star considering he really only had one great season with the Habs.

As soon as he goes goal-less for 4 games, the media will lose their shit.

Laine is not ready for this.
what ever you say, we have suzuki,cole, dach then demidov. your the naive one

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
So how how many points does Laine have to get for him to be worth the value of his contract?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Wow Habs haters destroyed on this one. Lots of scrambling to find the new narrative now that Hughes absolutely robbed Waddell. Oh and btw Ryder Halak and a 2nd is/was an excellent package the joke needs to die

When does Montreal plan on competing? They are collecting cap dumps currently.

Their captain is 25, Gallagher and Anderson come off the books when he is 28.

What is the plan in Montreal? Seriously...

Reactions: Voight

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
That is a naive way to look at it.

Sure, on the team, he won't be the focal point. In the media though? He is now the biggest name they have... in a market that has been starving for an offensive star since Kovalev has left... and even he was kind of a manufactured star considering he really only had one great season with the Habs.

As soon as he goes goal-less for 4 games, the media will lose their shit.

Laine is not ready for this.
Other fan bases will have their fingers crossed for this to happen for sure. But I think there's just as much of a chance that he clicks with all the young firepower we have and finds his groove again. I'm excited!

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
That’s obviously true. I just don’t get selling without value

that's because you don't fully understand the player Montreal is getting

and it also depends on what the goal for the team is during the season, let's say if a team seeks to be competitive during the playoffs, you wouldn't target LAINE/PLD

if your goal is to have such an amazing season that it becomes misleading and then the fan gets shocked when the team bounces first round, you target LAINE/PLD

So i totally understand Montreal, and I totally understand CLB shedding off $8m (not that CLB will be competing but the money is valuable for the owners)

But i also understand what you're saying too

Who knows, maybe Laine does become this beast of a player with Montreal, time will tell

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
It is a big gamble at that salary for TWO years, but Habs dealt from a position of strenght at LHD and got a 2nd (Harris was a former 3rd rounder).

I think Harris will become a good D.

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
People have to remember that this is the 2nd time he's asked for a trade (like PLD) and he seems to be hurt more than one would like.

If this was Laine 4 years ago that's a huge wtf are you thinking?

Now, it looks like a cap dump trade and it essentially is.

Maybe he works out for the Habs and I eat crow (was really against it on the Habs board), but I think it's more impressive if he plays 80+ games than scoring 30, or even 40 goals this season.

Habs probably need to shed a forward here now.

Reactions: Rob Brown

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wait... I misread. I thought we gave up Harris + 2nd and I was so damn happy. The fact that we got a 2nd... Wtf. Wow.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1724097959557.png

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I mean they added a player that makes 8.7 mil per year and stinks. Can’t complain because they aren’t winning anything anyway, but there’s a reason CBJ had to add to dump him.

• Haha
Reactions: EveryDay and OKR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad