Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
BJ's couldn't have done this earlier in the off-season to try and use this cap space on a FA or two? I guess they have some room now to make some moves but weird timing on this considering how connected Laine has been to the habs all summer.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
ole Don clearly got to a point he just wanted a deal done and no training camp distraction. Guess they have a ton of money to play with now if they want
Name all the UFAs that are out there that you would give big money to.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Harris will do well in Columbus. Undersized for a dman but a good skater, he just didn't have a home on the Habs roster and isn't physical enough to be a playoffs player.

I like him as a fit for Columbus.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It seems like Columbus's ownership wanted a trade that would completely dump Laine's cap hit. I'm sure that Laine would've had some trade value if their organization was willing to retain 50%, but because ownership didn't want to do that, teams like the Canes stayed far away, their hands were tied, and they had to dump a 2nd to make the contract go away. Tough situation for Waddell and the new FO, but this was likely their only real choice.
Seems that way. I don't think it was the right call, but whatever. Also really don't like the return. My impression of Waddell so far is that he's been fine on signings but his trades have been poor. Maybe he'll prove me wrong tho. :dunno:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
this is untrue. Harris is a good, young puck-moving Dman. Not physical but very high IQ on an affordable contract. He's a very good 5/6
I would still say that poster is right, I don't think Harris would return a 2nd on his own. He is definitely better than given credit for and can play both sides which is a plus

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
wow this could be very good for montreal, if laine can return to form.

I have a question for habs fans, is it likely that they play both dach and newhook top 6 with one being RW, or are they gonna go Suzuki-Newhook-Dach down the middle.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf made great progress over the second half of the season. If Laine - Newhook - Dach can turn it up than that gives montreal a good offensive second line. Laine can really excel as a goal scorer if he can find his footing

not to mention the price wasn't too bad neither is the term of laine if this doesn't pan out, all around good trade for montreal IMO

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm not sure why everyone is celebrating the Habs getting the second. The guy gets paid 8.7 million with no retention. Let me say that again - 8.7 million per year. This was a cap dump.

Perhaps Laine gets back on track. That would be great. I would say based on what we know about career trajectories, it is incredibly unlikely that he returns to form.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
BJ's couldn't have done this earlier in the off-season to try and use this cap space on a FA or two? I guess they have some room now to make some moves but weird timing on this considering how connected Laine has been to the habs all summer.
Laine was still in the player assistance program early in the summer. He couldn’t be trade till he was out of that.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Yikes... I don't like Laine much as a player/playing style but WTF is Columbus doing?

Short of doing the player a massive favor, they didn't need the cap space to sell a 2nd. Retain half and get a small asset if you really want him out.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not surprising. They had to trade him.

You know what? I think Montreal is a good destination for him to play. There's a spot in the top 6, they have a good home crowd and spotlight, in his younger days that type of situation got the best out of him.

At the same time, they have other top players and the team doesn't have a ton of pressure. Don't have to grip the stick too hard.

I could see him finding his groove on the PP again at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad