Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
good trade overall for habs, if he flames out, he only has a few years left and will be leaving that contract by the time the rebuild is almsot done. If he succeeds, they got a guy with huge upside.
I bet the plan is to trade him with retention after re-establishing his value this year. That's what I thought Columbus should have done after waiving him if necessary, but I guess they needed a clean break.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
he's not the go to guy in Montreal, he can just relax and try and get his MOJO back
That is a naive way to look at it.

Sure, on the team, he won't be the focal point. In the media though? He is now the biggest name they have... in a market that has been starving for an offensive star since Kovalev has left... and even he was kind of a manufactured star considering he really only had one great season with the Habs.

As soon as he goes goal-less for 4 games, the media will lose their shit.

Laine is not ready for this.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good deal for Columbus getting out of that contract with no retention imo. His value has definitely dropped since he signed that deal.
I wish him all the best getting his career back on track with a fresh start. But this is still a really risky contract imo.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I stand firm on my take that Laine isn’t a line driver. He will a healthy Dach to maximize his potential.

Also, what worries me a bit is his ask two years from now. Hopefully he’s done asking to be paid like a difference maker and hoping he settle for a high-end “supporting cast” salary in the low 7’s.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Habs essentially got him for "free". They are getting a 2nd to take the contract.

Laine only has two years left on his contract.

It is worth the risk.

It will be incredibly funny to watch the Montreal media turn on him as soon as he goes into a slump though.
I doubt it. Montreal fans can be ruthless, yes, but since we got him in this circumstance, I expect he will either receive a tremendous amount of love if he does well ( see Monahan) or be an after thought if he struggles.

After all, we have a few bad contracts still that make it near impossible to improve quickly for a few years (Gally and Andy mainly), so we can wait out his contract if he doesn't get back in shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad