Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
wow this could be very good for montreal, if laine can return to form.

I have a question for habs fans, is it likely that they play both dach and newhook top 6 with one being RW, or are they gonna go Suzuki-Newhook-Dach down the middle.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf made great progress over the second half of the season. If Laine - Newhook - Dach can turn it up than that gives montreal a good offensive second line. Laine can really excel as a goal scorer if he can find his footing

not to mention the price wasn't too bad neither is the term of laine if this doesn't pan out, all around good trade for montreal IMO

Newhook is more of a winger who can fill in at centre and he plays both wings.

I would expect to see Newhook - Dach - Laine this year and next year (2025/26) Demidov will likely take Newhooks spot and he will move to the 3rd line.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Laine - Dach - Newhook

Is what I expect this year.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I mean they added a player that makes 8.7 mil per year and stinks. Can’t complain because they aren’t winning anything anyway, but there’s a reason CBJ had to add to dump him.
A 2nd for Harris is already a great return, and we can stomach the caphit because the Habs aren't trying to win the cup the next 2 seasons.

And saying he stinks doesn't make it so. Wishful thinking on your part. Cry more

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Seems like a perfectly logical destination for a guy struggling with mental health

That fan-base is going to eat him him alive.
He’s going to need to block out a lot of noise for sure. Something he has had trouble with before.Montreal might not be the best place for him. It did wonders for PLD and Drouin.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm probably the biggest Jordan Harris fan on this whole site because he's from my town... but that return is bad for CBJ and it's definitely a lot worse than what CBJ fans were saying the last month.
Columbus clearly didn't want to take any salary back. They definitely could've gotten a much better return if they retained 50%.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
At least you get paid that's your argument for picking up Laine and his shit contract? Yah that 2nd round is going to make a HUGE difference.
It’s better than paying a 2nd to get rid of a player which had positive value. He’s got 2 more years and it won’t affect our cap structure.

Reactions: HabsQC

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
It’s definitely worth being optimistic over the trade, his history though makes it tough to agree with you that’s “there’s just as much of a chance that he clicks with all the young firepower we have and finds his groove again”

It’s his last chance in the NHL.
I don't see why not. Even in Colombus the numbers were good until last year. In Montreal I think we are starting to have enough nice pieces (and plenty more to come in the next few years) to try different combinations to find something that works for him. I think we have more flexibility in that regard than they did in Columbus. Given that I don't think saying he works out is a 50/50 chance is crazy at all. If anything I think that's being conservative. He's a really good player and knows he will be running out of chances if this doesn't work out. We'll see!

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
A two year contract isn't that big a risk. And are people forgetting that Laine is 26 and a year ago was PPG player?

It’s two years at close to $9 million per. On a player who has a history of disappointing.

I’m not saying it’s bad for Montreal. I’m saying it might not be the homerun everyone seems to think, and there looks to be a very good reason for the 2nd in there.

Reactions: HBK27

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Love this for Montreal, its the kind of gamble they can afford to make.

I think the idea behind it is the huge risk the Canadiens are taking on.

The point is that its not really a huge risk for Montreal, but it is for a lot of other teams.

Notwithstanding cap space, Montreal is one of the few teams over the past few years that has been willing to take on ACTUAL SALARY in deals like this. Just because a team has cap space, doesn't mean they want to spend millions of dollars. Montreal's made deals like this every offseason except this one before today (Dadanov, Monahan, Karlsson deal (with Petry and DeSmith), Pearson.

Montreal had (has) ample cap space the next two seasons and don't have any RFAs of note (other than maybe Primeau) who need to sign new contracts until the 2026 offseason. The risk for them is mostly wasting money, which they've consistently been willing to do to take gambles on players and get picks. They also wanted to relieve a young D logjam, which this does.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
Okay, Habs fans. I know you are usually intense and toxic, but can you please not for just this one player? Be gentle with Patty.
Honestly I don't think the pressure is that big of a deal nowadays. The only players that really get pressured are the ones from Quebec.
I can definitely see the strategy. Montreal used to pick up the smallest players in the league they have shifted to the most injury prone players in the league.
Not sure what you're talking about ? Monahan ? That worked out pretty well. The only other injury prone player acquired by Hughes has been Dach... Enjoy the mediocre Yzerplan

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Tell me you don't understand the player Montreal is getting without telling me you don't understand the player Montreal is getting.

Hughes didn't rob anyone you got a player that hasn't played 82 games since 2019 with mental health issues that tries half the time on an 8.7 cap hit.
The cap means nothing for a rebuilding team like Montreal, contract expires in 2 years. This is a great gamble for them and gives the fans something to be excited about as they navigate a rebuild.

Evergreen

From a value perspective, this seems like a great deal for Montreal. I guess Columbus weren't getting any serious offers and didn't want to go into training camp with this hanging over them and making things weird in the locker room.

The only question I have for Montreal fans is whether this is going to be a fit. Don't Caufield and Laine do their best work from the same spot on the PP? Which one has to move to a less comfortable position or maybe even gets left off PP1?

Reactions: HBK27

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
wow this could be very good for montreal, if laine can return to form.

I have a question for habs fans, is it likely that they play both dach and newhook top 6 with one being RW, or are they gonna go Suzuki-Newhook-Dach down the middle.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf made great progress over the second half of the season. If Laine - Newhook - Dach can turn it up than that gives montreal a good offensive second line. Laine can really excel as a goal scorer if he can find his footing

not to mention the price wasn't too bad neither is the term of laine if this doesn't pan out, all around good trade for montreal IMO
I think the only way Dach plays wing is if they decide he's the best option with Suzuki-Caufield, but Slaf was so good there and they acquired Dach to be a centre for sure. It'll be Roy or Newhook on the wing with Laine-Dach most likely

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'm not sure why everyone is celebrating the Habs getting the second. The guy gets paid 8.7 million with no retention. Let me say that again - 8.7 million per year. This was a cap dump.

Perhaps Laine gets back on track. That would be great. I would say based on what we know about career trajectories, it is incredibly unlikely that he returns to form.
Lots of space and a second rounder that's likely to be between 33 and 38. It's a very well calculated risk.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Excuse me, but why could Laine not make it work in Columbus? What about his mental condition is a result of playing in and for Columbus?

This is a serious question. I’m not being sarcastic. Just trying to understand how and why he had them over a barrel like this.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
60? What? lmao guy is making 8.7 million a year...not 5.
when you have room to share....who the f*** cares? If he gets 60 points for us, I am happy. He is contributing. It's only two years, and the only player due for a big raise in that time could be Dach. This is beautiful.

If he contributes 30+30....his next contract will be commensurate with that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad