OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Just got out of it. Wanted to sit in the theatre and wait for it to restart.

I am in filthy lust with it.

I don't gush often!

Also, exactly how I felt when it ended. And everyone around me said the same thing.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I enjoyed the journey up until EndGame. Enjoyed a couple marvel things since then but overall I'm pretty Marvel'd out. The majority of things I tried watching from this new phase I couldn't really get into.

Yeah I'm the same. The whole build to Endgame was great and even if the payoff wasn't perfect it was very good and did an excellent job of tying up a lot of different threads. I think the smart thing about the first three phases is even though there was a lot going on, the basics were pretty simple and the stones as MacGuffins were easy to understand and keep track of. And the overarching story was kept to the films. Yes there was Agents of Shield and whatever else, but they were peripheral and as long as you saw at least the main movies you were essentially good. Not all those films were great but even with the weaker ones you persevered because you knew they were going someplace worth getting to.

Post Endgame it's become too big and too messy. Once you bring in multiverses and time travel and variants you're overcomplicating things and reducing the stakes. And on top of that you're expecting people to watch multiple tv shows as well as films to keep up with what's going on. The final kicker is the quality of the product has diminished. The result is I've lost interest and no longer have any wish to see where this is all going, and no desire to sit through ordinary content either for its own merits or the wider story it's telling. I'll see the third Guardians because I'm invested in those characters and how their journey plays out, and that will be it, at least for now.

Perhaps something will draw me back but it will have to be something really impressive. Marvel deserve immense credit for everything through the first three phases, but I feel all they're doing now is damaging both themselves and the movie industry as a whole, and it would be beneficial if they just took a break for a while. But as long as there's money to be made that's not going to happen.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Yeah I'm the same. The whole build to Endgame was great and even if the payoff wasn't perfect it was very good and did an excellent job of tying up a lot of different threads. I think the smart thing about the first three phases is even though there was a lot going on, the basics were pretty simple and the stones as MacGuffins were easy to understand and keep track of. And the overarching story was kept to the films. Yes there was Agents of Shield and whatever else, but they were peripheral and as long as you saw at least the main movies you were essentially good. Not all those films were great but even with the weaker ones you persevered because you knew they were going someplace worth getting to.

Post Endgame it's become too big and too messy. Once you bring in multiverses and time travel and variants you're overcomplicating things and reducing the stakes. And on top of that you're expecting people to watch multiple tv shows as well as films to keep up with what's going on. The final kicker is the quality of the product has diminished. The result is I've lost interest and no longer have any wish to see where this is all going, and no desire to sit through ordinary content either for its own merits or the wider story it's telling. I'll see the third Guardians because I'm invested in those characters and how their journey plays out, and that will be it, at least for now.

Perhaps something will draw me back but it will have to be something really impressive. Marvel deserve immense credit for everything through the first three phases, but I feel all they're doing now is damaging both themselves and the movie industry as a whole, and it would be beneficial if they just took a break for a while. But as long as there's money to be made that's not going to happen.
I watched Wandavision and the Falcon and Winter Soldier and quit after that kinda. The Doctor Strange 2 was not great...I couldn't even sit through Thor,,,, Wakanda Forever was good but not great.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I watched Wandavision and the Falcon and Winter Soldier and quit after that kinda. The Doctor Strange 2 was not great...I couldn't even sit through Thor,,,, Wakanda Forever was good but not great.

For me Wakanda forever was the most unwatchable. Took me a full week to sit through it, only to realize that it added no value to the overarching story arc. That movie maybe would have been ok if only 90 minutes, but was unwatchable at 161 minute long.

Reactions: LouJersey

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Thor was immensely disappointing. I've been a big fan of Taika Waititi's work for a long time and Ragnarok, while not without its flaws, was pretty great. But Love and Thunder just missed the mark by miles. Even the great directors have these missteps, e.g. I highly rate most of Nolan's work but I hated Tenet, but the timing of Waititi losing his mojo was bad for Marvel. Something they probably would have felt was reliable, that had all the makings of being a really good film that could have steadied the ship, so to speak, just wasn't.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The other night I decided to subscribe to Shudder, the horror movie streaming service, and I watched one of their original movies called Deadstream.

At first I thought it would be another one of those overplayed, 1st person, shaky hand cam video movies, but as it went on, it got better and better. Great mix of humor and horror and it was a good time. 4/5 stars in my book.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thor was definitely meh. Dr Strange 2 was fine

I actually liked Wakanda Forever a lot but I watched it on a flight so I literally had nothing better to do with that time

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I don't gush often!

Also, exactly how I felt when it ended. And everyone around me said the same thing.

glad to read this.
my oldest boy and I try to get together once a month for movie and dinner. We’re both fans of the Wick movies and this is on our calendar for next Saturday.

Reactions: EverettMike

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Thor was immensely disappointing. I've been a big fan of Taika Waititi's work for a long time and Ragnarok, while not without its flaws, was pretty great. But Love and Thunder just missed the mark by miles. Even the great directors have these missteps, e.g. I highly rate most of Nolan's work but I hated Tenet, but the timing of Waititi losing his mojo was bad for Marvel. Something they probably would have felt was reliable, that had all the makings of being a really good film that could have steadied the ship, so to speak, just wasn't.
I loved Ragnarok as well. You summed it up perfectly.

Marvel should try to do something with Submariner

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Getting out of work between midnight and 3am I watch movies alot after work off the top of my head…….oh and its alot of action

Running Man
Demolition Man
Magnum Force
Lionheart
The Quest
Desert Heat
On Deadly Ground
Fire Down Below
Ran
Shogun Assassin
Bourne Trilogy
Lethal Weapon
Big Trouble In Little China
Couples Retreat
Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Never been so few

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Some real gems "relatively unknown" out there for TV series....

Disney:
Dopesick

From Netflix

Rectify
The Serpent
Halt and Catch Fire
Bloodline
The Sinner
Broadchurh
Marcella
Seven Secounds
Master of None

From HBO
True Detective - unreal!
Did they all have endings nothing worse than getting into a series that really doesn’t have and ending because it gets canceled

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

This was a fun movie. I love Samara Weaving, and of course Steven Yeun

8/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad